News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 191 Gallatin Range Yellowstone National Park

Started by Max Rockatansky, November 21, 2021, 10:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Since 1934 US Route 191 has traversed the Gallatin Range north of West Yellowstone, Montana to Bozeman Montana.  Since being extended to Bozeman during 1934 US Route 191 has remained the only US Route to ever be signed within the boundaries of Yellowstone National Park.  The course of US Route 191 north of West Yellowstone through the Gallatin Range takes it north through the Yellowstone National Park where it briefly dips into the State of Wyoming.  Prior to US Route 191 being extended the highway through the Gallatin Range was designated as Montana Highway 60 and was once part of a small Auto Trail known as Gallatin Way.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/11/us-route-191-in-gallatin-range-of.html

usends

The second image in your blog post shows the current NPS map of Yellowstone, and US 191 is indeed the only highway within the Park boundary that is labeled with a US route shield.  And AASHTO seems to agree with that: their 1989 route log showed a gap in US 191 between West Yellowstone and South Yellowstone, but they did not show a gap between West Yellowstone and Bozeman. 

But a related question: is US 191 actually signposted anywhere within the Park?  I did not see any shields in the photos on your blog.  Even if US 191 is not currently signposted, it could have been signposted historically, but do we have any evidence of that?  I notice the 1937 Gousha map in your blog illustrated the Yellowstone portion of 191 with a different line weight and color, just like the other implied US routes through the Park.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: usends on January 06, 2023, 09:35:44 AM
The second image in your blog post shows the current NPS map of Yellowstone, and US 191 is indeed the only highway within the Park boundary that is labeled with a US route shield.  And AASHTO seems to agree with that: their 1989 route log showed a gap in US 191 between West Yellowstone and South Yellowstone, but they did not show a gap between West Yellowstone and Bozeman. 

But a related question: is US 191 actually signposted anywhere within the Park?  I did not see any shields in the photos on your blog.  Even if US 191 is not currently signposted, it could have been signposted historically, but do we have any evidence of that?  I notice the 1937 Gousha map in your blog illustrated the Yellowstone portion of 191 with a different line weight and color, just like the other implied US routes through the Park.

It is signed, my photos just didn't capture it.  There is a reassurance shield in both directions within the Yellowstone Park boundary along the Gallatin River.  The significance of what I was seeing didn't hit me until I was back to Boise.  I would imagine both shields are on GSV.

xonhulu

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 21, 2021, 10:07:08 PM
Since being extended to Bozeman during 1934 US Route 191 has remained the only US Route to ever be signed within the boundaries of Yellowstone National Park.

Not exactly true.  There was once a US 212 shield just inside the Northeast Corner of the park, between the entrance station and the park entrance sign.  I got a picture of it back in 2009:

https://i.imgur.com/DvaFKtX.jpg

However, it's since been removed.  Here's the GSV of that location now:

https://earth.google.com/web/search/cooke+city+mt/@45.00464381,-110.00814066,2236.29101562a,0d,43.36539665y,103.74541399h,95.29981497t,0r/data=CigiJgokCYU4oFKqlDNAEYU4oFKqlDPAGVh6lwbH2DhAIXIuM1mg-FLAIhoKFk44RmVVN25RX0FGUFkzWmRqdzkzVEEQAg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.