News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Acadia National Park's carriage road bridges

Started by relaxok, February 10, 2011, 01:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relaxok

Some fantastic photos of the beautiful bridges in the carriage road system in Acadia National Park in Maine.

http://ouracadia.com/blog/?p=153

A few of my favorites below:

After seeing how much history gets obliterated in the name of transportation improvements (not all of which I'm opposed to of course!), it's nice to see some places that will probably stay the same for as long as it's feasible for it to do so.  Not having to contend with auto traffic is definitely a help here (compare to the park loop roads and others like ME-102, 3, 198, and 233 which have had a ton of construction on the island!)

mobilene

Wow, these are great!  I love to see old stone bridges still in use.  jim
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

LeftyJR

I've been there 5 times, and the beauty of that place never ceases to amaze me.  The carriage roads were built by the Rockefellers, who owned about 75% of what became Acadia.

Anonymity Lane

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.