Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

<< < (791/796) > >>

mukade:
The progress looks similar to the state that US 31 freeway construction around Kokomo south of SR 26 was in September of 2013. That freeway opened up for Thanksgiving weekend. Based on the photos in this thread, it looks like it is the same contractor (Walsh Construction). They're big enough that they will bring in the necessary resources if it is possible.

ITB:
I headed up to Martinsville on Sunday to take a few more photos of the construction. It only takes me 35 minutes to get into Martinsville proper, and 15 of those are chewed up just getting on I-69 to head north. The weather was perfect, sunny, not too warm or cold. Just north of Bloomington at the Kinser Pike overpass, the speed limit jumps from 55 to 70 mph, so it's a quick zip to Martinsville. Seems, too, like a good number of drivers think that 70 means 80 plus. Law enforcement is aware, so heads up when coming down that hill toward the Liberty Church Road interchange. Likewise, when approaching Bloomington southbound, probably not a good idea to be doing 70 plus in the 55 mph zone.

As I noted in an earlier post, construction of the Martinsville segment (Segment 1 Section 6) is at an inflection point where the road truly begins to take shape. It seems as if paving in one spot or another is taking place nearly everyday now. By the end of October most of the Martinsville segment will be paved, aside from small sections around the mainline bridges over Ohio Street/Artesian Ave. and State Road 252/Hospital Dr. Crews are hard at work on those bridges. Both sets have had their deck pans placed, and the deck pours probably will take place by the end of October. On the south end of the project, the approach slabs of the bridge over Indian Creek on the northbound lanes, are in the process of being redone. Probably a sub base settlement issue. Also, south of the bridge, a couple small roadway slab sections have been cut out. Again, probably a settlement problem. In the vicinity of Burton Lane in Martinsville, paving will soon commence to connect the previously paved mainline sections south with other sections north. Once completed, pavement will then run nearly continuously from the Indian Creek bridges to just south of the mainline bridges over Ohio Street/Artesian Ave.

I'm hesitant to speculate on when the road might be reopened in Martinsville, other than to say that's it going to happen by the end of the year. That's been the plan and I don't see Walsh, the prime contractor, letting that deadline slip. By Thanksgiving? I guess it's possible. At the same time, it's quite possible the pouring of a couple of bridge approach slabs might slip to either late November or early December. Moreover, there's the ramps and traffic circles for the interchange at State Road 252/Hospital Drive, as well as the ramps at the Ohio Street interchange. Might take some time to fully complete those projects. 

To the pictures. Photos were taken Sunday, September 26, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Segment 1, aka the Martinsville segment

Drainage piping installation along the northbound shoulder about a half mile north of the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville; looking north.

Northbound lanes about a half mile north of the SR 44 overpass; looking north. Looks like the roadway will be four lanes wide in this vicinity.

Looking northwest from the State Road 44 overpass. Throughout the Martinsville segment the mainline will be concrete, while most, if not all of the interchange ramps, traffic circles, as well as the collector/distributor lane between the SR 252 and SR 44 interchanges, will be asphalt.

Inside shoulder of the northbound lanes about a half mile north of the SR 44 overpass; looking north. In preparation to paving, the drain openings have been covered with plastic and red tape. Also, that half dowel rod assembly near the drains seems a little high on one end. The last thing that needs to happen is for that assembly to poke through the concrete slab. Probably won't, but why risk it.

Rebar for the concrete barrier wall; about a half mile north of the SR 44 overpass, looking north. It's going to be a tall barrier, probably upwards of seven feet in certain spots.

Another look at the concrete slab of the northbound lanes; about a half mile north of the SR 44 overpass, looking north.

More photos to come.

ITB:

Another batch. Photos were taken Sunday, September 26, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south from the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville. On the left, the asphalt strip appears to be the northbound collector/distributor lane between SR 252/Hospital Dr. and SR 44, as well as the corresponding shoulder. In the background, the curving path of I-69, which passes through the gap between the two hills, is discernible.

Turning around, the view in the opposite direction; looking north from the SR 44 overpass. On the right is the entrance ramp from SR 44.

Another view of the future on-ramp from State Road 44 to I-69 northbound; looking north.

Looking north from the SR 44 overpass toward the future southbound lanes of I-69. In the background left is the future exit ramp to SR 44.

Southbound on-ramp from SR 44; looking slightly southeast. The ramp will lead to the collector/distributor lane, which will run between SR 252/Hospital Drive and SR 44. Drivers who wish to get on I-69 southbound will take the collector/distributor to the western roundabout at the SR 252 interchange, circle halfway around that, then exit onto the entrance ramp to I-69 southbound.

Note: If any of the above is not entirely accurate, including terminology, please chime in. This includes any information that I post. My goal is to be as accurate as possible, whether in photo captions or otherwise.

Another view looking north from the State Road 44 overpass. It looks as if paving will commence in the next couple of weeks or so between the mainline bridges over SR 252/Hospital Drive and the beginning point of the recent paving activity north of SR 44, which is visible in the background (expand the photo for a better view).

Signage indicating the future entrance ramp from SR 44 to I-69 northbound; looking east.

It's now just 95 days until the end of the 2021. At this point, the construction of the Martinsville segment is looking good. Real good. Keep in mind, too, that just nine months ago crews were beginning the demolition of State Road 37. A lot has happened over those nine months, and there's still three months to go.

tdindy88:
Last year I made a post on the Indiana Notes thread about my thoughts on Indiana rest areas and what should be done with them. It appears the state is starting to actually tackle the rest areas with an extensive project on updating the welcome centers and adding truck parking to the rest areas throughout the state starting with the recent I-69 welcome center in Steuben County.

Anyway, my interest in this subject showed me something very interesting concerning the I-69 extension in southern Indiana. This article was repeated a few websites last month but this paragraph was interesting to hear:

"Construction of a truck parking facility in Martinsville, as well as a new rest facility at Crane, will be part of the 10-year project. Both will be along sections of Interstate 69, which remains under construction from Martinsville to Indianapolis."

It appears there plans for some services along this corridor after all. I'm wondering if this means a rest area at Exit 87 is in the works and where would this "truck parking facility" be in Martinsville?

Life in Paradise:

--- Quote from: tdindy88 on September 28, 2021, 11:15:26 AM ---Last year I made a post on the Indiana Notes thread about my thoughts on Indiana rest areas and what should be done with them. It appears the state is starting to actually tackle the rest areas with an extensive project on updating the welcome centers and adding truck parking to the rest areas throughout the state starting with the recent I-69 welcome center in Steuben County.

Anyway, my interest in this subject showed me something very interesting concerning the I-69 extension in southern Indiana. This article was repeated a few websites last month but this paragraph was interesting to hear:

"Construction of a truck parking facility in Martinsville, as well as a new rest facility at Crane, will be part of the 10-year project. Both will be along sections of Interstate 69, which remains under construction from Martinsville to Indianapolis."

It appears there plans for some services along this corridor after all. I'm wondering if this means a rest area at Exit 87 is in the works and where would this "truck parking facility" be in Martinsville?

--- End quote ---

I'm glad that they are going to be placing a rest area on I-69 between Evansville and Indianapolis.  It is well needed.  They originally had one planned in "Amishland" somewhere near the Odon/Elnora exit, but it was shaved for cost savings.

I am worried about INDOT for some of the things that they are doing with rest areas.  They have discussed closing the rest areas on I-64 near Dale, IN.  They have had a reprieve at least for awhile.  The welcome area near Lanesville has been closed for some time with mounds of dirt and gravel covering the entrance.  That rest area was a newer area than the ones near Dale.  Even though there is a cost to these, I feel that it is a service that state transportation departments should keep. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version