Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

SW Pennsylvania

<< < (47/48) > >>

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: lepidopteran on October 18, 2021, 11:13:03 PM ---In reference to the Banksville Interchange, you know how the highway runs under two adjacent railroad bridges, one taller and one shorter?  Surprisingly, the shorter bridge is still present in the "after" video, even though it looks like the tracks across it haven't been used in a long time (and another bridge that took them over Route 51 along the river was removed sometime within the last 10 years).  You'd think having those abutments out of the way would make for a wider roadway.

--- End quote ---

The lower bridge is the former W&LE West End Branch. It's been out of service for about a decade, and I believe it is now officially abandoned. The upper bridge is still in-service.

Removing the median pier from the low bridge doesn't buy you anything because you still have the piers from the high bridge. Removing the right abutment doesn't really get you anything, either, because there is a large retaining wall right in front of it that supports a pier for the high bridge. To move that retaining wall back appreciably (or at all?) you'd have to rebuilt large parts of the high railroad bridge. The land behind the bridge abutments also appears to be park, which adds another level of challenge to this.

Basically, unless you're willing to drop a lot of extra money, you're basically stuck with what you've got.

74/171FAN:
In I-70 news, I found out this morning that the I-70/PA 31 conversion from a cloverleaf interchange to a diamond interchange and the reconstruction of I-70 is substantially complete.

lepidopteran:
According to the project website, the plan also reconstructed the surrounding section of I-70, which included increasing the radius of two curves.

One thing the map does not indicate are traffic signals at the new diamond ramps.  That in itself says something about how overbuilt the full cloverleaf was.

ARMOURERERIC:

--- Quote from: Bitmapped on October 22, 2021, 09:54:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: lepidopteran on October 18, 2021, 11:13:03 PM ---In reference to the Banksville Interchange, you know how the highway runs under two adjacent railroad bridges, one taller and one shorter?  Surprisingly, the shorter bridge is still present in the "after" video, even though it looks like the tracks across it haven't been used in a long time (and another bridge that took them over Route 51 along the river was removed sometime within the last 10 years).  You'd think having those abutments out of the way would make for a wider roadway.

--- End quote ---

The lower bridge is the former W&LE West End Branch. It's been out of service for about a decade, and I believe it is now officially abandoned. The upper bridge is still in-service.

Removing the median pier from the low bridge doesn't buy you anything because you still have the piers from the high bridge. Removing the right abutment doesn't really get you anything, either, because there is a large retaining wall right in front of it that supports a pier for the high bridge. To move that retaining wall back appreciably (or at all?) you'd have to rebuilt large parts of the high railroad bridge. The land behind the bridge abutments also appears to be park, which adds another level of challenge to this.

Basically, unless you're willing to drop a lot of extra money, you're basically stuck with what you've got.

--- End quote ---

I thought I saw where one of the bridges was a historical landmark.

74/171FAN:
(For PA 28) PennDOT - District 11 News: Southbound Route 28 Traffic Shift Wednesday Night in O’Hara Township

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version