News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite Musicians/Artists

Started by achilles765, October 21, 2012, 04:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 21, 2021, 09:58:16 PM
The Beatles,

Their later stuff, not their earlier stuff,

Those are the two camps of Beatles fans.  I happen to like both the early stuff and the late stuff, but I seem to be in a clear minority.  Most Beatles "fans" either like early Beatles or late Beatles but not both.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: kenarmy on July 21, 2021, 08:42:06 PM
This needed to be said:

You're right.  We're all so culturally enlightened now...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CoreySamson

Mostly rock (and in no order)...

Switchfoot
Stryper
Skillet
Seventh Day Slumber
Autograph
Kutless
Third Day
TobyMac
Todd Agnew
Insyderz
Stellar Kart
U2
Hawk Nelson
Audio Adrenaline
Deluge
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kphoger

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 22, 2021, 10:36:13 AM
Mostly rock (and in no order)...

Switchfoot
Stryper
Skillet
Seventh Day Slumber
Autograph
Kutless
Third Day
TobyMac
Todd Agnew
Insyderz
Stellar Kart
U2
Hawk Nelson
Audio Adrenaline
Deluge

Will you be my new road trip partner?
Male pronouns, please.

kurumi

I forgot about Bubblemath. Sorry, Bubblemath
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jp the roadgeek

C'mon, not a single Deadhead on here?X-(

Also like The Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Phish, Rush, Yes, CSNY (and its many permutations), Queen, and many other 60's/70's acts.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 21, 2021, 10:48:16 PM
ZZ King almost happened, but apparently Billy F. Gibbons thought better and came up with the name that has stuck since.

I thought he put the name together as a mashup of Zig Zag and Tops rolling papers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kevinb1994

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 22, 2021, 01:09:06 PM
C'mon, not a single Deadhead on here? X-(

Also like The Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Phish, Rush, Yes, CSNY (and its many permutations), Queen, and many other 60's/70's acts.
I like the Dead.

hbelkins

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 22, 2021, 03:46:09 PM

I like the Dead.

I know none of us really understand others' tastes, but I never got the attraction of the whole "Deadhead" culture.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 07:54:11 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 22, 2021, 03:46:09 PM

I like the Dead.

I know none of us really understand others' tastes, but I never got the attraction of the whole "Deadhead" culture.
Not surprised. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

adventurernumber1

My list of favorite musicians/artists may be too expansive to list here, but here are some whose discography I have explored most comprehensively thus far and listen to very often:

Blondie, U2, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Byrds, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Cream (and other music by Eric Clapton), Elton John, Black Sabbath, Yes, The Moody Blues, King Crimson, The Who, The Mamas and the Papas, Simon & Garfunkel, The Cars, The Smiths, Bread, Frank Sinatra, Glen Campbell, Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Charley Pride, Merle Haggard, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, George Strait, Alan Jackson, Jimmy Buffett, John Denver, James Taylor, Gram Parsons, Bee Gees, KC & The Sunshine Band, David Bowie, The Allman Brothers Band, and many more

There are many great artists whose music I have not yet heard (or heard much of) but plan to check out in the near future, so this list will grow ever longer.  :biggrin:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Mr_Northside

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 07:54:11 PM

I've never gone too far in on "Deadhead" culture itself - I have been to 2 shows of iterations of the group since Garcia's death (and none before), with friends and had a good time....
But, while I'm a pretty big fan, about at least 80% of the time I put on some Grateful Dead, it's the studio albums as opposed to the live stuff. 
I've found there's a lot of people that just think of them as the hippie jam band (for good reason, of course) with nothing but spaced out 30 minute songs - but they had a stretch of studio work that was much more meticulously put together  (I personally think American Beauty is one of the best albums of all time), mostly concise standard-length songs that isn't much like the live stuff at all.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

kphoger

I listen to Toad the Wet Sprocket a lot at work.

Honestly, I first learned about them because, when I had Columbia House back in high school, I thought their name was cool so I bought the album In Light Syrup.
Male pronouns, please.

bugo

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on July 23, 2021, 10:24:13 PM
My list of favorite musicians/artists may be too expansive to list here, but here are some whose discography I have explored most comprehensively thus far and listen to very often:
<mostly 1960s and 1970s artists>
There are many great artists whose music I have not yet heard (or heard much of) but plan to check out in the near future, so this list will grow ever longer.  :biggrin

You should check out some post-1980 music, especially alternative rock from the early to mid 1990s. I can recommend some artists if you're interested.

kphoger

Over the last several months, I've been getting into "modern folk" music.
Male pronouns, please.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: hbelkins on July 21, 2021, 10:43:53 PM

You'll notice the list is top-heavy with 70s and 80s bands.

can't fault you for that.

same era for me, different genre:
joy division
new order
depeche mode
taxxi
blotto
siouxie and the banshees
talk talk
flock of seagulls
thomas dolby [b-side of 'golden age of wireless' is an experience..]
human league

etc.

when i was 12, i was rocking the 'flock of seagulls' hairdo.

clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

renegade

ZZ King almost happened, but apparently Billy F. Gibbons thought better and came up with the name that has stuck since. Judas Priest got their name from a Bob Dylan song,

Speaking of which, Billy F. Gibbons has gone back to the early ZZ Top sound in his solo work. It's better for him to do that because he can still show where his roots in music are,
Breaking News:  Dusty Hill has died at the age of 72 ...

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/07/28/zz-top-icon-dusty-hill-has-died-at-the-age-of-72-band-says/
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

kevinb1994

Quote from: renegade on July 28, 2021, 04:04:27 PM
ZZ King almost happened, but apparently Billy F. Gibbons thought better and came up with the name that has stuck since. Judas Priest got their name from a Bob Dylan song,

Speaking of which, Billy F. Gibbons has gone back to the early ZZ Top sound in his solo work. It's better for him to do that because he can still show where his roots in music are,
Breaking News:  Dusty Hill has died at the age of 72 ...

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/07/28/zz-top-icon-dusty-hill-has-died-at-the-age-of-72-band-says/
I was wondering what was up with him. RIP.

hbelkins

ZZ Top just played in Corbin on Sunday night (an hour and 15 minutes from me.) I didn't go, but some friends did. They reported that Hill was not on stage and that the guitar tech was filling in for him. And then I read today that he was off the tour because of a hip problem, but that's probably not what killed him.

My friends reported that ZZ Top may have lost a few steps due to age, but they still put on a good show, even with the stand-in for Hill.

That got me to thinking about how bands that used to fill big arenas like Rupp Arena in Lexington are now playing much smaller venues. Foreigner is playing in Corbin later this year, and Ted Nugent played in Pikeville some time ago. (I saw both in Rupp Arena in the 1970s). Styx played at Eastern Kentucky University a few years ago and is playing at a new concert venue in extremely rural Sharpsburg (Bath County, between Mt. Sterling and Flemingsburg) later this year. Chicago never made it to Rupp, but they played Freedom Hall in Louisville on just about every tour. They played at EKU a few years ago as well.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: bugo on July 27, 2021, 05:29:20 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on July 23, 2021, 10:24:13 PM
<mostly 1960s and 1970s artists>
There are many great artists whose music I have not yet heard (or heard much of) but plan to check out in the near future, so this list will grow ever longer.  :biggrin

You should check out some post-1980 music, especially alternative rock from the early to mid 1990s. I can recommend some artists if you're interested.

Definitely! There's a vast amount of great music from that era and beyond, which I definitely plan to check out. I can take some artist recommendations for sure.  :thumbsup:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

JayhawkCO

In no particular order...

Rock/Pop
Foo Fighters
Beatles
Pink Floyd
Steve Miller Band
Eagles
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Breaking Benjamin
Shinedown
Bush
Stone Temple Pilots
Tool
Queens of the Stone Age
Aerosmith
John Butler Trio
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Reel Big Fish
Pearl Jam
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
Styx
Yellowcard
Something Corporate
All American Rejects
Grouplove
Cake
Phil Collins/Genesis
Billy Joel
Nothing But Thieves
MGMT
Disturbed
Atlas Genius
Alt-J
My Morning Jacket
Airborne Toxic Event
Michael Jackson
Chvrches
Heart
Bonnie Tyler
Marilyn Manson

Country/Bluegrass
Johnny Cash
Garth Brooks
Robert Ellis
Steep Canyon Rangers
Rapidgrass
Gangstagrass
Mipso
The Dead South
Trampled by Turtles

Rap/Hip-Hop
Kendrick Lamar
Snoop Doggy Dogg
Dr. Dre
The Game
Xzibit
Talib Kweli
The Pharcyde
A Tribe Called Quest
Jurassic 5
Denzel Curry
Warren G
Eminem
Nelly
Juvenile
Madcon

Classical
Mozart
Tchaikovsky
Joplin
Beethoven
John Williams
Vivaldi
Mendelssohn
Stravinsky

Chris

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on July 28, 2021, 08:45:14 PM
That got me to thinking about how bands that used to fill big arenas like Rupp Arena in Lexington are now plying much smaller venues. Foreigner is plying in Corbin later this year, and Ted Nugent played in Pikeville some time ago. (I saw both in Rupp Arena in the 1970s). Styx played at Eastern Kentucky University a few years ago and is plying at a new concert venue in extremely rural Sharpsburg (Bath County, between Mt. Sterling and Flemingsburg) later this year. Chicago never made it to Rupp, but they played Freedom Hall in Louisville on just about every tour. They played at EKU a few years ago as well.

I saw the Smashing Pumpkins in 2018 in the Chesapeake arena in Oklahoma City, then about 5 months later on the same tour at the Brady Theater in Tulsa, which is a small venue with a capacity of 2800. A lot of bands will go on tours that are arena-only, then go on a club tour.

HB, which do you prefer: arenas or small venues? I like the sound and intimacy of small venues, but many of them are standing room only, which forces me to stand up for several hours. Arena shows give me the opportunity to sit down, which is much easier on my worn out body. 20 years ago, I preferred small venues by far but in the last few years, I've learned to appreciate a good arena show.

bugo

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on July 29, 2021, 05:22:44 PM
Definitely! There's a vast amount of great music from that era and beyond, which I definitely plan to check out. I can take some artist recommendations for sure.  :thumbsup:

Here are some bands from the 90s until today that I like, in alphabetical order:

A Perfect Circle
Alice in Chains (Layne Staley era)
Tori Amos
Audioslave
Bassnectar
BT
The Catherine Wheel
Deafheaven
Deftones
Elysian Fields
Failure
Foo Fighters
How To Destroy Angels
Kyuss
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Porcupine Tree
The Prodigy
Puscifer
Queens of the Stone Age
Radiohead
Saigon Kick
The Smashing Pumpkins
Son Volt
Soundgarden
System of a Down
30 Seconds to Mars
Tool
Tricky

That should be enough to get you started. Let me know what you think of these bands.

hbelkins

^^^

What, no Iron Maiden?

And Saigon Kick surprises me; I figured they would be a little too "hair band" for your tastes.

As to your arena vs. theater question, I haven't been to a concert in eons. Most every one I ever saw was in Rupp Arena. My wife has seen a number of shows in outdoor amphitheaters over the years and seemed to like them, although the weather can be a factor sometimes if it's really hot.

JayhawkCO

I don't dig the arena shows just because I don't feel like I'm part of the show.  The best thing ever is a big band in a small venue.  I saw Jane's Addiction at The Beaumont (now closed) in Kansas City and it blew my mind.  If I'm going to be in a slightly larger space, I'd much prefer it to be outside and I'm very spoiled to have Red Rocks in my vicinity (coincidentally, also where my high school graduation was, which is realistically the coolest place in the world to have a high school graduation).

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.