Newburyport, Mass area meet - Fall 2019

Started by Dougtone, February 10, 2019, 08:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on October 18, 2019, 01:08:54 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on October 17, 2019, 09:28:28 PM
Not RSVPing to the public Facebook event, but I shall be there.
FYI, Facebook no longer shows event RSVPs for public events to people you aren't friends with.  Not even for other people going to the event.  This actually created a problem for me where I can't tell who I've met in person and who I haven't for the purpose of responding to Facebook friend requests any more (or find out who you'll get to meet in person for the first time at an upcoming meet, etc.).

You know I have noticed recently that I've been weirdly not able to see who is listed as attending an event if I am not friends with them. I believe this applies to private events as well.

And yes that is kind of annoying. People who are attending or were explicitly invited to an event really should have access to the full guest list. Especially since for someone who may not be friends with a lot of people who will be there, this can create the false perception that expected attendance is lower than it actually is.

Regardless, I know empirically that people who I am friends with but who weren't invited and aren't going to the event can see an RSVP, so... still not doing that if the event is public. I don't need all the people I know who aren't roadgeeks getting pinged that I will be in a particular place at a particular time on account of this.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

deathtopumpkins

QuoteYou know I have noticed recently that I've been weirdly not able to see who is listed as attending an event if I am not friends with them. I believe this applies to private events as well.

That's a recent change. It does still tell you the number attending though, just not any specific names. I like the change, as someone who doesn't necessarily want to broadcast publicly every event I'm going to.

QuoteRegardless, I know empirically that people who I am friends with but who weren't invited and aren't going to the event can see an RSVP, so... still not doing that if the event is public. I don't need all the people I know who aren't roadgeeks getting pinged that I will be in a particular place at a particular time on account of this.

This is frustrating though, I wish they would change this.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Dougtone

Getting ready to do things like print out copies of the itinerary, contact the restaurant to give them a heads up that close to 20 people will be waiting for them to open their doors at 11 (I thought the restaurant opened at 10, but it's apparently 11am), etc.

Regarding itineraries, I know that some people like them, while others may decide to consider the environment first and just refer to the paperless PDF of the meet itinerary. I'll likely print out about a baker's dozen itineraries, unless everyone wants a paper copy.

Weather wise, the National Weather Service is forecasting this for Saturday in Newburyport: Partly sunny, with a high near 55. Northwest wind 7 to 10 mph. I hope this forecast holds up.

cl94

That forecast is definitely better than my Kingston meet held this weekend last year...
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: Dougtone on October 22, 2019, 06:53:59 AM
Getting ready to do things like print out copies of the itinerary, contact the restaurant to give them a heads up that close to 20 people will be waiting for them to open their doors at 11 (I thought the restaurant opened at 10, but it's apparently 11am), etc.

Regarding itineraries, I know that some people like them, while others may decide to consider the environment first and just refer to the paperless PDF of the meet itinerary. I'll likely print out about a baker's dozen itineraries, unless everyone wants a paper copy.

Weather wise, the National Weather Service is forecasting this for Saturday in Newburyport: Partly sunny, with a high near 55. Northwest wind 7 to 10 mph. I hope this forecast holds up.
I'll take a PDF for my future use

Dougtone

Quote from: Alps on October 22, 2019, 08:42:35 PM
Quote from: Dougtone on October 22, 2019, 06:53:59 AM

I'll take a PDF for my future use

I have the PDF for download on Dropbox at https://www.dropbox.com/s/of5x0e09y7mydei/newburyport-converted.pdf?dl=0

I can also email it to you.

Dougtone

Getting ready for the meet tomorrow. I should be at the restaurant around 10:45 tomorrow, and they are aware that they will be expecting us. No worries if anyone is late to lunch. We'll see you when you get there.

If anyone needs to get my phone number, please send me a private message.

See you all tomorrow!

roadwaywiz95

Posting the link to the Meet *Live Stream* again here, in case certain folks didn't see it the first time. Should get underway with the feed prompty at 1 PM ET:

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Alps

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on October 25, 2019, 10:03:02 PM
Posting the link to the Meet *Live Stream* again here, in case certain folks didn't see it the first time. Should get underway with the feed prompty at 1 PM ET:

😠

Dougtone

Thanks you to everyone who came to the meet today. I couldn't have asked for better weather.

cl94

Thanks to you for hosting. It was a good meet. 45 minutes might be a new record for a meet lunch, especially with the amount of people we had.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.