News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Suggestions and Questions / Re: Theme Change?
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 04:39:35 PM
Quote from: davewiecking on Today at 04:34:27 PMThe forum still displays words and sentences mostly in coherent English. I could care less what color various parts of it are.

Not sure which threads you've been reading...
Suggestions and Questions / Re: Theme Change?
Last post by davewiecking - Today at 04:34:27 PM
The forum still displays words and sentences mostly in coherent English. I could care less what color various parts of it are.
Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by CoreySamson - Today at 04:33:02 PM
I feel that such a law would have easy loopholes. What counts as "using the property?" Stepping inside the door? Being in the property for a certain amount of time in a day? Using the building for its proper purpose (but then that goes into the weeds as to what "proper purpose" means)? Also, how would the government track that the building is being used or not? I could see privacy issues with that.

I think the idea is good in theory, but in practice I don't think it would work, and I think it could be abused.
I thought FEMA was moving Cairo residents uphill to New City, but Wikipedia is silent on that topic.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 04:28:12 PM
Off-Topic / Re: Black Friday could be your...
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 04:26:45 PM
Regarding those cheap USB memory sticks (or jump drives, thumb drives or whatever anyone wants to call them): I would not store any files on those things that wasn't already backed up separate volumes elsewhere. Those devices can and do fail.

Yesterday at my workplace our large format RIP printing application was crashing only 20 or so seconds after launch because of a corrupt file that was loaded into the print queue from a failing USB memory stick. A few years ago I bought a SanDisk 128GB USB memory stick that went bad only about a month after buying it.

When I'm driving my pickup I'll sometimes play albums of music from a portable SSD plugged into one of the USB ports. I have at least several hundred full albums stored in the SSD in 320kb MP3 format. I tried dubbing off my collection onto a 128GB USB memory stick to give to my brother. His vehicle and even the media player in mine would index only so many song files off that memory stick. I had to divide it onto multiple 32GB sticks for him to see all the song files. Those memory sticks have far slower access times than a SSD.
Traffic Control / Re: Sine salad
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 04:25:00 PM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/baeCvdj3kbqHjbj9A
Even know it's about lane control for the the through lanes and exit ramp, it's still overkill.
Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 04:22:40 PM
Quote from: hotdogPi on Today at 04:15:55 PMI might not have been clear enough (although you do seem to have deleted what caused me to make this clarification). It checks for 60 days of use to consider it occupied, not 60 days of non-use to consider it unoccupied.

Yeah, I was thinking being unoccupied for 60 days at a time. Hence I deleted my post. But I would still maintain that there are reasonable explanations for a house to not be occupied for 60 days of a year. What if you bought a fixer-upper that needed a whole lot of work and you wanted to do it in phases? I have family friends that have been building a house themselves for three years now. Never once slept there.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: New US 51 - Cairo Bridge
Last post by edwaleni - Today at 04:20:10 PM
Something very strange is going on in Cairo.

Even in the poorest towns, I can pull up real estate for sale, taxing information for that real estate, etc.

But in Cairo, there are only 2 houses for sale. There is no county tax information available. Just nice pictures. I found a few vacant agricultural lots for sale outside of town, but oddly, none of all the vacant lots in Cairo are for sale.(if I believe this)

If I was a developer, anticipating a new intermodal port/terminal to be built nearby (or a new bridge), I would want to know if there are any investment opportunities for housing, hotels, retail....even reconstruction of historic buildings that qualify for grants.

Just my humble opinion, but if this town wants to "turn it around" they need to make themselves and their information more accessible. Has the State of Illinois been buying up all the vacant land?
Mountain West / Re: Phoenix Area Highways
Last post by Pink Jazz - Today at 04:19:11 PM
I actually wonder why the Loop 202 Red Mountain widening east of Loop 101 was prioritized over the SanTan. I never thought the Red Mountain east of Loop 101 ever really got serious traffic backups.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.