News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lowes is closing 51 stores in the US and Canada

Started by roadman65, November 05, 2018, 02:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 06, 2018, 10:06:29 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on November 06, 2018, 09:55:58 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 06, 2018, 09:47:11 AM
Quote from: webny99 on November 05, 2018, 03:26:57 PM
I had never even heard of Menards until just now, whereas Home Depot and Lowes are both nationwide.

That is not to say Menards can't be as good as the other two... it probably is as good, or better (just like Wegmans is superior to all other grocery stores even though much of the nation has never heard of it  :-P)
Menard's is Midwestern regional. They have about 300 locations in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Kentucky. Kind of surprising that there reach goes as far as Wyoming but they are headquartered in Wisconsin.

HQed in an unincorporated township area right adjacent to Eau Claire, WI.

Mike
I'm pretty sure I've been past it before. Is it near the US-12 and I-94 interchange? If so then I've been past it before.

Yea, it's along US 12 just east of I-94, adjacent to the Eau Claire city limits on the city's west side.

Mike

Flint1979

Quote from: mgk920 on November 07, 2018, 09:58:26 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 06, 2018, 10:06:29 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on November 06, 2018, 09:55:58 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 06, 2018, 09:47:11 AM
Quote from: webny99 on November 05, 2018, 03:26:57 PM
I had never even heard of Menards until just now, whereas Home Depot and Lowes are both nationwide.

That is not to say Menards can't be as good as the other two... it probably is as good, or better (just like Wegmans is superior to all other grocery stores even though much of the nation has never heard of it  :-P)
Menard's is Midwestern regional. They have about 300 locations in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Kentucky. Kind of surprising that there reach goes as far as Wyoming but they are headquartered in Wisconsin.

HQed in an unincorporated township area right adjacent to Eau Claire, WI.

Mike
I'm pretty sure I've been past it before. Is it near the US-12 and I-94 interchange? If so then I've been past it before.

Yea, it's along US 12 just east of I-94, adjacent to the Eau Claire city limits on the city's west side.

Mike
Ok yup that was it. I looked on Google Maps and I have been past it before.

hbelkins

One thing I've noticed is that in lots of places, Lowes and Walmart are adjacent or very close to each other, often in the same shopping complex.

I'm not a fan of Lowes. One experience I had with them left a very bad taste in my mouth. I try to avoid doing business with them whenever possible.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MantyMadTown

I'm glad they aren't closing the one in Manitowoc. I have an aunt who's been working there since they opened (around 2005/2006).
Forget the I-41 haters

kphoger

Never had a problem with Lowe's.

We did have an issue with Home Depot this past summer.  The glass on our front storm door shattered from the record heat one day, and so our landlords called Home Depot to come out, measure the door, and install a new one.  It took three weeks and multiple calls before it actually got done, and we noticed a few months later that some of the screws were loose.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 08, 2018, 12:06:57 PMWe did have an issue with Home Depot this past summer.  The glass on our front storm door shattered from the record heat one day, and so our landlords called Home Depot to come out, measure the door, and install a new one.  It took three weeks and multiple calls before it actually got done, and we noticed a few months later that some of the screws were loose.
This matches every story I've heard about hiring Home Depot to perform any sort of construction on homes.

US 41

Quote from: kphoger on November 06, 2018, 01:03:09 PM
Speaking internationally, I don't think I've ever seen a Lowe's in Mexico, but I've seen several Home Depot locations there.

Don't worry, they have them there and in Canada as well.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Beltway

I just noticed that the Dick's Sporting Goods store is -gone- from the Stony Point Fashion Mall in Richmond VA!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

Out here Home Depot was the first on the spot -- and grabbed the best locations in the process.  Lowe's seems, at least locally, to locate in "secondary" retail clusters or newer sites well away from other businesses.  We just lost our #3, Orchard Supply -- but now there's a very large Ace store in one of their former facilities (Blossom Hill/Cambrian) -- fitting, since several small neighborhood Aces have closed up shop in the last couple of years.  Now there's a substantial drive to get to any hardware vendor, regardless of size.  Curiously, the discount tool retailer, Harbor Freight, has "shadowed" Home Depot in the area, often opening within a block of the larger facility. 

kphoger

Quote from: US 41 on November 08, 2018, 07:20:14 PM
Speaking internationally, I don't think I've ever seen a Lowe's in Mexico, but I've seen several Home Depot locations there.

I looked but couldn't find a site giving me international locations for Lowe's.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: hbelkins on November 07, 2018, 07:15:01 PM
One thing I've noticed is that in lots of places, Lowes and Walmart are adjacent or very close to each other, often in the same shopping complex.

Lowe's of Newington, CT is across the way from a Walmart. Not next to each other, but close enough to easily walk between the two. Probably about a 5 minute walk.

Stephane Dumas

Flint1979

Quote from: hbelkins on November 07, 2018, 07:15:01 PM

I'm not a fan of Lowes. One experience I had with them left a very bad taste in my mouth. I try to avoid doing business with them whenever possible.
I haven't noticed that really around here. One of the Lowe's in Genesee County closing is next to a Walmart and Sam's Club but the other one isn't near a Walmart. The one here in Saginaw is somewhat near a Walmart but not adjacent to it or in the same shopping plaza. The one in Midland is close to where Walmart is but isn't real close, you can't see the Walmart store from Lowe's and vice versa.

I had always thought that Murphy USA was owned by Walmart but I don't think it is just ironic that about 90% of their locations are located in proximity to a Walmart. Same with Baymont Inn I had always thought they were associated with Cracker Barrel since almost all the Baymont Inn's I've ever seen have been located near a Cracker Barrel.

ATLRedSoxFan

The Quincy, MA never really stood a chance, it was 300 yards from one HD on Centre St and less than a mile from the Granite St HD, both in Quincy.

Plutonic Panda

I fucking hate Lowe's now. They bought Orchard Hardware stores here in SoCal and closed them down. They were such nice stores and always seemed to have customers. They had just built a very nice one on Hollywood BLVD. in East Hollywood that I shopped at all the time and they closed it. They were so convenient offering great products without having to go into a large big box store and had quick checkout lines. Very frustrating. Who to blame for this one?

Suppose there is always Ace but I liked Orchard better just because of the way they designed their stores and they were also slightly larger but not huge like a Lowe's. For that reason, I will now go out of my way to not shop at Lowe's anymore.

US 41

Quote from: kphoger on November 09, 2018, 02:10:34 PM
Quote from: US 41 on November 08, 2018, 07:20:14 PM

I looked but couldn't find a site giving me international locations for Lowe's.

https://www.lowes.com.mx/stores

The only reason I knew Mexico had them was because I ran across one on GSV in Saltillo. There was a Home Depot right down the road too.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

adventurernumber1

I watched this video on Lowe's vs. The Home Depot just last night:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=67bdaAWCrWU

Some key things I took from the video are: The reason Lowe's is closing some of these stores, if I recall correctly, may be because certain ones of these Lowe's stores were often too close to other Lowe's stores, sometimes being within 10 miles from one another (according to the video). The purpose of all these closings may have been to strengthen the success of existing stores and sales per store, since some Lowe's stores were so close to eachother. I agree with sentiments in this thread that, as a result, these closings probably don't signify some larger decline for Lowe's, rather just a strategical reorganization of store locations. Even though I believe The Home Depot may be the winner (in terms of success) in the competition, I think Lowe's is still doing pretty well. Also, a key difference between The Home Depot and Lowe's (taken from that video) may be that Lowe's does better primarily with consumers (ordinary people wanting home supplies) than professionals. The Home Depot may do better with appealing very much both to consumers and professionals. This may be why, according to the video itself and comments below which, many professionals may favor The Home Depot better. According to the video - when the economy is good, it is good for these businesses to target professionals, and when the economy is bad, it is good to target consumers. Both Lowe's and The Home Depot seemed to have adapted well to the changing economies over the decades, but The Home Depot seems to still have a better balance with both consumers and professionals, when compared to Lowe's (according to the video). I personally like both The Home Depot and Lowe's, but these are simply the interesting points I have taken from that video.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.