News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: inkyatari on February 18, 2019, 10:46:46 AM
Laraway should have been upgraded 20 years ago.

Funny, , , I remember Laraway being a gravel farm road when I was a little kid in New Lenox in the 1980s.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

inkyatari

Quote from: kphoger on February 19, 2019, 02:23:27 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on February 18, 2019, 10:46:46 AM
Laraway should have been upgraded 20 years ago.

Funny, , , I remember Laraway being a gravel farm road when I was a little kid in New Lenox in the 1980s.

I was a teenager then, and I remember that.  The Laraway corridor would have been a perfect I-80 bypass, and it should have been preserved as such, but you know what they say about hindsight and all.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

hobsini2

Revive 755 Said: "That would be fine, if I-55 was not starting to have capacity issues outside of peak hour, particularly the stretch between I-355 and IL 53."

What they should have done when the redid the I-55 & I-355 interchange was to extend the entrance and exit lanes to the Route 53 entrance and exit lanes.  55 is fine usually west of Route 53 in peak hours.  Although, the nightmare this year is going to be when they redo the Weber Rd interchange as a DDI. I will be avoiding Weber like the plague.

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

inkyatari

I had an "opportunity" to be in Decatur yesterday, and I have to ask, is it legal to blatantly run red lights in the town? I witnessed three separate incidences of where the light had been red for 5 seconds, and a vehicle whizzed through.

abefroman329

Quote from: inkyatari on March 04, 2019, 08:59:28 AM
I had an "opportunity" to be in Decatur yesterday, and I have to ask, is it legal to blatantly run red lights in the town? I witnessed three separate incidences of where the light had been red for 5 seconds, and a vehicle whizzed through.
No cop, no stop.

I was walking my son home on Saturday and couldn't figure out why several cars were running a red light, so I stepped in front of one.  Then the car honked at me and I realized I'd stepped in front of a car that was part of a funeral procession.  Oops.  Unfortunately me stepping in front of the car meant that a bunch of cars traveling in the same direction as me cut in front of the funeral procession, which fucked the whole thing up. 

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ET21

Lmao a falling building, how was this not seen when they did the initial studies??
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

quickshade

Quote from: ET21 on March 07, 2019, 12:58:39 PM
Lmao a falling building, how was this not seen when they did the initial studies??

The engineering companies "failed" to recognize the poor soil in those areas and properly spec out what kind of retaining wall was needed. Which to me means the company failed to do its job and the contract should be voided, no further money should be offered to the firm and they should have to pay IDOT and the construction companies how ever much it will cost to fix the issue. But in IDOTs eyes they are going to keep the firms on, let them finish with the project and then determine what kind of action is best.

To me its one thing to miss a minor detail or something that is easily correctable and only would cost a few thousand to fix, and while that would be disappointing it happens. But to completely miss poor soil means either you had no clue what you were doing or didn't run the right tests and didn't double check the samples to make sure the data was correct, and when you are spending millions of dollars to build something you would think that would be most important,

As my dad always told me, measure twice, cut once.

inkyatari

Noticed new signs today  on I-55 southbound near the IL-126 exit - "ROUGH ROAD - NEXT 8 MILES"

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on March 22, 2019, 08:43:45 PM
Noticed new signs today  on I-55 southbound near the IL-126 exit - "ROUGH ROAD - NEXT 8 MILES"

Typical IDOT, use a sign instead of fixing the actual problem.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

tribar

Quote from: Brandon on March 22, 2019, 09:08:43 PM

"We won't fix the problem but we can tell you how long it's going to be rough" .

tdindy88

In fairness I believe Indiana had one of these kinds of signs along I-65 last year.

machias

Quote from: tribar on March 22, 2019, 09:46:56 PM

"We won't fix the problem but we can tell you how long it's going to be rough" .

I've seen these signs all over the country, they're hardly a novelty in Illinois. I'm sure IDOT will fix the issue as soon as they have the budget and the weather has settled down.

amroad17

^ Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but I see you are living in Chicago instead of Rome, NY now.  Better job?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Brandon

Quote from: upstatenyroads on March 23, 2019, 11:25:27 PM
Quote from: tribar on March 22, 2019, 09:46:56 PM

I've seen these signs all over the country, they're hardly a novelty in Illinois. I'm sure IDOT will fix the issue as soon as they have the budget and the weather has settled down.

What budget?  :rofl:

machias

Quote from: amroad17 on March 24, 2019, 02:13:43 AM
^ Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but I see you are living in Chicago instead of Rome, NY now.  Better job?

Better life. I just wish I could change my username here.

amroad17

I'm glad to hear that.  I have followed your website for quite a while, although there hasn't been too much new the last few years, more than likely because of your job.  I am originally from the Camillus, NY area myself (1 mile south of the hamlet of Memphis on top of the hill on Bennett Corners Road, if you are semi-familiar with that area).  As you can see by my avatar, I am still partial to the Syracuse area.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

I-39

Whatever happened to the proposed I-39/US 20 project in Rockford between Harrison Ave and the I-39 SB interchange? I don't see any information anywhere about it. Is it still under consideration?

inkyatari

hobsini2

Quote from: inkyatari on April 08, 2019, 04:07:58 PM
My commute is about to get more interesting...

Weber Road And I-55 Construction Heats Up

I wish before they started this that they made 126 a full interchange and access to the area southeast of the interchange. It would elevate the mess that Weber is going to be for 3 years.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

paulthemapguy

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 09, 2019, 09:59:16 AM

I wish before they started this that they made 126 a full interchange and access to the area southeast of the interchange. It would elevate the mess that Weber is going to be for 3 years.

This is a really good point.  The next crossing of I-55 to the south is all the way down at Airport Road.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

inkyatari

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 09, 2019, 11:15:43 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on April 09, 2019, 09:59:16 AM

This is a really good point.  The next crossing of I-55 to the south is all the way down at Airport Road.

IDOT has some plans here..  I like the closing the 126 exit altogether, and rerouting 126 along taylor Rd (diamond interchange at 55) so that the road connects to Weber

</$$$$$>

http://www.airportand126study.org/

Great Lakes Roads

Found this to be interesting... 30 years of IDOT changes in the Chicagoland area...

https://abc7chicago.com/traffic/30-years-of-idot-changes/5235138/

Badger39

I-39 from Rockford to Bloomington is by far the WORST maintained road I have ever traveled.  The past 3 weeks I took a road trip through 9 states and never encountered anything like this anywhere else.  There were potholes from the entrance ramp south of Rockford to the merge with I-55 by Bloomington.  I just kept praying my tires would survive.  It looked just as bad on the other side of the road going north. 

Brandon

^^ That's typical for IDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.