News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Toll Transponder Interoperability - 2024 edition

Started by SSOWorld, February 04, 2024, 10:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 04, 2024, 10:14:40 AM
Austin agencies

Austin agencies plural?? What the hell are they doing down there? It seems like it's so easy to start a toll agency in Texas that I might need to call and check to make sure I didn't accidentally start one the last time I was there!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rlb2024

I was in the Dallas area a couple of months ago and again last week, and while there drove some of the NTTA toll roads (DNT, PGBT, and SRT).  I expected to get an invoice for the tolls in the mail in a few months since I do not have an NTTA toll tag.  This weekend I got an email that my Florida SunPass account had been billed for replenishment, which I thought was strange since I had not been in Florida since October and my SunPass Portable transponder (purchased around 2014) was in my house in Louisiana.  I logged on to my SunPass account to check the activity and saw that the toll charges leading to the replenishment were from the NTTA toll roads that I had traveled -- without my SunPass transponder.  They picked up my Louisiana license plate and credited the tolls to my SunPass account -- at the discounted NTTA tag rate.

Nice.  Wasn't expecting that.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on February 05, 2024, 01:18:15 PM
Regarding Illinois' use of stickers, I was perusing eBay to look for a windshield holder for my new West Virginia E-ZPass unit, since my old square one's battery had expired and it had to be replaced with one of the newer units. It appears that there are now some portable units that are capable of accepting the stickers, making them portable and transferable between vehicles.

I guess I need to look at that interoperability chart Scott whipped up to see if Oklahoma is now compatible with the E-ZPass network. If I go to Utah with my brother and there's bad weather in Kansas and Colorado, might be forced to take I-44 and I-40 westward.
Your best bet's Florida, but they do not have compatibility with Houston or most of Austin
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 05, 2024, 05:04:51 PM
Austin agencies

Austin agencies plural?? What the hell are they doing down there? It seems like it's so easy to start a toll agency in Texas that I might need to call and check to make sure I didn't accidentally start one the last time I was there!
Did I studder?  Try a SunPass, you'll notice ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Quote from: kalvado on February 05, 2024, 10:39:38 AM
Lookin at the spreadsheet... Is NJ actually in such a good relations with TX, unlike other EZpass states?
Look again...
Quote from: vdeane on February 05, 2024, 12:45:33 PM
Last night I discovered that Canada isn't quite the interoperability no-go zone that I thought.  I turns out that the four maritime toll facilities (MacKay Bridge, Macdonald Bridge, Confederation Bridge, and Cobequid Pass) are quasi-interoperable with each other.  I say quasi because it isn't seamless like such things are in the US; while the same transponder can be used on all four, users must maintain separate accounts with each and keep them all up to date, as they don't communicate with each other at all; all they do is associate the account with whichever transponder you actually have.

Also, South Carolina should be added as an island, as PalmettoPass is still a thing.
It is.

Side note, Updated for GA as fully interoperable with E-ZPass, Updated M-, Added AL (same as M-)
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

ZLoth

Austin agencies

There are three Toll Tag agencies:

• NTTA (DFW)
  • EZ Tag (Harris County/Houston)
  • TXTag (Everywhere else)
NTTA, TXTag, and regular EZ Tag work on the roads in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. EZ Tag Express is limited to the Houston Roads, and is limited to the non-tag toll rate.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

SSOWorld

Quote from: ZLoth on February 06, 2024, 07:13:21 AM
Austin agencies

• NTTA (DFW)
NTTA, TXTag, and regular EZ Tag work on the roads in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. EZ Tag Express is limited to the Houston Roads, and is limited to the non-tag toll rate.
Wrong

There are several agencies sharing TxTag (a tag) and EZ Tag (a tag) in Austin and Houston.  https://senate.texas.gov/cmtes/81/c640/1013-JohnBarton-c2-2.pdf <-- this PDF lists them.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

ElishaGOtis

Quote from: ZLoth on February 06, 2024, 07:13:21 AM
Austin agencies

• NTTA (DFW)

Interesting, I got EZ Tag express to work on SH 130 toll (in addition to IH 10 Katy & SH 99 toll) during a trip to Kileen last December. It was expensive as heck given the non-tag rates, but it was worth going 89mph with minimal consequences :spin:

From www.hctra.org/EZTAGExpress:
-No EZ TAG is needed with this account!

- Account access at your fingertips 24/7 via the app

- Works on all toll roads in Texas

- You pay the cash/non-tag toll rate

- No monthly statements - transactions and balance can be viewed in the app

- Open an account using a credit card

Used SunPass in Dallas/Ft. Worth area, set my vehicle to "expire" before driving there. Haven't looked at that toll statement.
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

ZLoth

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 06, 2024, 08:17:48 PMThere are several agencies sharing TxTag (a tag) and EZ Tag (a tag) in Austin and Houston.  https://senate.texas.gov/cmtes/81/c640/1013-JohnBarton-c2-2.pdf <-- this PDF lists them.

I stand corrected. I should have stated that there are three main tolling tags in Texas which, in most cases, is TxTAG, NTTA, or EZ Tag.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

SSOWorld

Quote from: ZLoth on February 07, 2024, 01:35:57 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on February 06, 2024, 08:17:48 PMThere are several agencies sharing TxTag (a tag) and EZ Tag (a tag) in Austin and Houston.  https://senate.texas.gov/cmtes/81/c640/1013-JohnBarton-c2-2.pdf <-- this PDF lists them.

I stand corrected. I should have stated that there are three main tolling tags in Texas which, in most cases, is TxTAG, NTTA, or EZ Tag.
more accurate, no worries.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

SSOWorld

Quote from: ElishaGOtis on February 07, 2024, 12:30:57 PM

Used SunPass in Dallas/Ft. Worth area, set my vehicle to "expire" before driving there. Haven't looked at that toll statement.
Just don't try that in Houston.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Duke87

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 05, 2024, 06:37:26 PM
Side note, Updated for GA as fully interoperable with E-ZPass, Updated M-, Added AL (same as M-)

Did something change recently?

Last I checked what GA did was they set up is a system that will query plates from video tolls against the database of vehicles registered to E-Zpass accounts before sending a bill in the mail. But they can not actually read E-Zpass tags.

I do not think this counts as interoperability and it's flagrant false advertising to claim it is. If you're in a rental car, or any car other than your own, it will not work.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Duke87 on February 10, 2024, 02:32:42 AM

Last I checked what GA did was they set up is a system that will query plates from video tolls against the database of vehicles registered to E-Zpass accounts before sending a bill in the mail. But they can not actually read E-Zpass tags.

I do not think this counts as interoperability and it's flagrant false advertising to claim it is. If you're in a rental car, or any car other than your own, it will not work.
source?
Scott O.

Raise your what?

ran4sh

You probably "checked" a few years ago back when GA only had interoperability with FL & NC.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

lordsutch

It's certainly signed as being interoperable.

SSOWorld

It was fully activated this year practically
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Joe The Dragon

I whipped up a quick PDF from a spreadsheet to summarize the toll tags in the USA and their interagency compatibility. 

Summary:
2024 saw the following happen:
* Georgia's PeachPass and E-ZPass join forces (both tag works on the other tag's networks)  With this, the original E-ZPass network and Florida (SunPass and Uni)/Georgia/North Carolina are essentially one in the same.
* Central Florida Uni tag works with E-ZPass. 
* Illinois's I-PASS now issues stickers instead of cases (Focus of that at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17650.msg2904001#msg2904001).

Texas's tags and Florida's SunPass still don't work in 100% of each state's agencies. Houston's agencies and some Austin agencies chose not to participate. Only TxTag and TollTag (NTTA) work with roads that accept SunPass as the primary tag. Also for Florida, Kansas and Oklahoma don't work roads outside SunPass primary.

I did not detail anything fee-wise here due to room on the sheet.
All states are listed here, those without toll facilities were greyed out.
CA, CO, LA, UT, WA are islands (no interoperability)
MI doesn't have tags, Cash "fare" only.

https://ssoworld.org/pics/TollTagIntrop.pdf
What is the legal signage requirements for Partial cases and can that be used as an way to fight an FINE in court?
Say in an mixed case? on the same road?

what about say case where Kansas may start takeing EZ-pass but say only show the EZ-pass logo one one side but you then get to Oklahoma see the Kansas pass  logo. Should Oklahoma be foreced to have an sign saying NO EZ-pass if they don't take it?

I don't think that it's going to fit you need to list 5-6+ differnt logos on one sign.

Also before in FL you had part of the same road that took EZ-pass but not others. And with FL you had the auto train that was an kind of an tunnel from the EZ-pass zone. What is the signage like in the auto train exits?

1995hoo

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on February 14, 2024, 03:17:49 PM

Also before in FL you had part of the same road that took EZ-pass but not others. And with FL you had the auto train that was an kind of an tunnel from the EZ-pass zone. What is the signage like in the auto train exits?

What signage at the Auto Train exits? No offense, but what are you talking about? There's no toll at the Auto Train (though of course you pay a fare to Amtrak to ride), so there are no signs there about E-ZPass, SunPass, or any of the rest.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

what about say case where Kansas may start takeing EZ-pass but say only show the EZ-pass logo one one side but you then get to Oklahoma see the Kansas pass  logo. Should Oklahoma be foreced to have an sign saying NO EZ-pass if they don't take it?

Oklahoma shouldn't be required to do anything based solely on what Kansas chooses to do.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 14, 2024, 03:20:14 PM

What signage at the Auto Train exits? No offense, but what are you talking about? There's no toll at the Auto Train (though of course you pay a fare to Amtrak to ride), so there are no signs there about E-ZPass, SunPass, or any of the rest.

talking about signage on the toll roads near the auto train exit points.

NJRoadfan

E-ZPass roads seemingly now work with sticker transponders. IL is now outright issuing I-Pass stickers and claiming they work on all E-ZPass roadways.

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/want-to-get-a-new-i-pass-sticker-5-common-questions-and-answers-to-purchasing-and-using-them/

Best I can figure is that all the various E-ZPass agencies finally upgraded their equipment to multiprotocol readers.

NJRoadfan

There are signs next to the toll plazas stating what tags they accept.

NJRoadfan

ran4sh

That must be news to y'all legacy E-ZPass users... Georgia/Peach Pass users have known that for about a month now (well, it wasn't stated that way, but it's the logical conclusion from the fact that Peach Pass only issues stickers and Peach Pass is accepted in all E-ZPass states)

Of course, for now that puts NC in a position where they offer a free (sticker) and a $7 (case) device that now both do the same thing. https://www.ncquickpass.com/transponder-options/
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

jeffandnicole

No. Do they also need a sign for every other transponder they don't take?  How about Sunpass or Epass? 

This is no different than state laws. There is only signage required based on the individual state's laws.  States can't run around updated their signage because other states have different laws, which can change on occasion. 

Quote from: NJRoadfan on February 15, 2024, 06:35:25 PM
NC Quick Pass confirming that all E-ZPass states now accept sticker transponders: https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2024/2024-02-15-ncquickpass-accepted-ezpass.aspx

This is unusual because usually only the overseeing agency, such as the EZ Pass Consortium, will announce such acceptance.  The press release says "Because of this technology change...", but they don't say what the technology change is (the stickers, I guess?). 

Maybe it's true that the stickers confirm to EZ Pass's minimum standards for the readable technology required for EZ Pass, but it seems a bit presumptuous for NC to inform everyone that every agency's EZ Pass readers will read the stickers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.