News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Overlaps of non-numbered streets

Started by kurumi, July 21, 2018, 04:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

In this map of Mountain View, CA, Mercy Street takes a dogleg of about 120 feet on Anza Street. It's signed like a pair of 3-way intersections, but it's technically an overlap.

The question: are there any longer overlaps of named roads (no route numbers), especially those that might be signed with both road names? Something like (fictional example) Aylesbury Pike and Whateley Road snaking through a mile of Massachusetts hills together?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bassoon1986

Shreveport, LA has a pretty big jaunt where Ockley Dr is disconnected. My screenshot below shows where in the upper left Ockely comes to Gilbert Dr, then further south, it continues east of Monrovia over the bridge. Gilbert Dr is only signed as Gilbert, not both. On Ockley westbound, after crossing Fern, there are instructions to turn right ahead to continue on Ockley.

iPhone

Eth

Greensboro, NC sees Elm St and Eugene St merge together to become Elm-Eugene St, with both names remaining in use until the road ends.

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Michael

The first one of these I ever saw was Briggs St in Syracuse in 1999.  My mom was going to look at a car, and we couldn't find the house number on the western half of the street.  After pulling onto Wadsworth St, we saw a sign for the eastern half of the street.  At the time, the western half of the street wasn't one way like it is now.

TheStranger

An example in San Francisco:

A portion of Diamond Heights Boulevard connects the two segments of Diamond Street (which I think predated Diamond Heights Boulevard being constructed in the 50s) -

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Diamond+Heights+Blvd+%26+Addison+St,+San+Francisco,+CA+94131/@37.7401485,-122.4373935,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x808f7e7025be7c89:0xefe0e33d123283bd!8m2!3d37.7401455!4d-122.4358392
Chris Sampang

Rothman

Osborne Road and Sand Creek Road in Albany, NY.  Has some fun signage, too, to follow Osborne.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Don't know how I forgot the overlap of Stone Road and Tobey Road in Pittsford, NY.
This one is unique in that Stone ends at Tobey... and then Tobey continues as Stone.

ftballfan

In northeast Mason County, MI, Campbell Road hops on Free Soil Road for about 2/3 mile: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1057957,-86.1052867,15.9z.

roadman65

Piscataway, NJ has both Washington Avenue and Stelton Road share pavement across the former Reading Rail Line.
Market Street and Raymond Blvd do it in Ironbound, Newark, New Jersey.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mrsman

The best example that I can think of is Jefferson and Sepulveda in Culver City, CA.  Two major streets and the joining is more than a mere dogleg.  The combined section is only referred to as Sepulveda.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Culver+City,+CA/@33.9886115,-118.3978401,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c2ba1edb77739d:0x3185e9d14beb59fe!8m2!3d34.0211224!4d-118.3964665

Flint1979

We have streets and roads like that here in Michigan. During the overlap it's not considered the cross street though like in your example you wouldn't have it be Anza/Mercy. Mercy just takes a jog is all.

This would be a Michigan example

Steel and Grobowski Roads in Saginaw County.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3184554,-84.2905579,17.15z

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on July 23, 2018, 09:20:56 AM
Don't know how I forgot the overlap of Stone Road and Tobey Road in Pittsford, NY.
This one is unique in that Stone ends at Tobey... and then Tobey continues as Stone.
I've seen streets and roads like this in Michigan too.

mapman1071

NY
County Line runs down center line
Hook Creek Blvd Rosedale, Queens County & Ocean Ave Valley Stream, Nassau County

Former:
County Line runs down center line
Jamaica Avenue Floral Park, Queens County & Jericho Turnpike Floral Park, Nassau County
A few years back New York City renamed Jamaica Avenue East of Cross Island Parkway and extended Jericho Turnpike West of 256th Street to Cross Island Parkway.

DJ Particle

Kings Highway in Minneapolis.  Its entire length is dual-signed with more mundane streets.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9203223,-93.2934868,247m/data=!3m1!1e3

Kings Highway is divided, and follows Dupont south from S 36th St to S 46th St, then follows 46th west from Dupont to the Harriet Parkway.  Throughout its entire length, the streets are signed with both designations.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9195477,-93.2935269,3a,75y,221.33h,72.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBpJvO2XxFaSTQm7FRBa6Ww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

HazMatt

Fayetteville Street and Cornwallis Road in Durham, NC for a little under a mile.

https://goo.gl/maps/pkv8h48vCbU2

mrcmc888

Knoxville has Westland Drive doglegging onto Ebenezer Road.

Mabry Hood Road exists as a tiny section near the I-40/I-140 interchange, and as a much longer one north of I-40. The two sections used to be connected but were separated when I-140 was built.  There was a big NIMBY uproar about that section of the highway...a historic plantation house had to be torn down to make room for it.

sparker

There's one a block and a half north of my office; the street I'm located on, Little Orchard Street, jogs east (heading northbound) on San Jose Ave. for a block, then resumes north parallel to the southern section.  However, curiously, the northern section continues south of San Jose Ave. for about 50 yards so as to provide access for a couple of storage yards and roll-up doors in the adjoining industrial buildings.  From the design and age of the area, it looks as if San Jose Ave. separates newer development to the south from the older mixed (commercial & housing) type to the north; the southern extension of Little Orchard (where my office is) is considerably wider (although retaining a 2-lane format, but with a center turning lane) -- and, unfortunately, is used for drag racing in off-hours.

Quote from: mrsman on September 07, 2018, 11:48:58 AM
The best example that I can think of is Jefferson and Sepulveda in Culver City, CA.  Two major streets and the joining is more than a mere dogleg.  The combined section is only referred to as Sepulveda.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Culver+City,+CA/@33.9886115,-118.3978401,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c2ba1edb77739d:0x3185e9d14beb59fe!8m2!3d34.0211224!4d-118.3964665

The northern intersection of Jefferson & Sepulveda is the location of one of the best kosher delis in the L.A. area:  Roll & Rye, in a strip mall on the east side of the junction itself.  Worth a visit for their lean corned beef alone!

Bruce

Queen Anne Boulevard in Seattle basically overlays on top of normally named/numbered streets, but is more of a scenic designation than a commonly used name.

ipeters61

DE-8 near Downtown Dover, where it is simultaneously Kings Highway East and East Division Street (approximately between Pennsylvania Avenue and Park Drive): https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1626357,-75.5218021,17.5z

A few indicators that it is a multiplexed street name:

• The two (opposing) bus stops on this multiplex refer to Division Street
  • Street signs west of the St. Jones River (the body of water pictured to the east) refer to Kings Highway East
  • The street sign on the west side of the intersection between DE-8 and Park Drive/Kings Highway NE refers to DE-8 as East Division Street, as does the street sign on the east side of the intersection

Also, just searched on the USPS website, and it looks like 42 Kings Highway East and 42 East Division Street are both valid addresses and refer to the same place (Google shows the school on Kings Highway on the north side of the street, but the Division Street address on the south side of the street, but they're both part of the same school - the north side I believe is the school itself, the south side is its administration building).
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jon daly

Parker Street and Woodbridge Street overlap for a little more than a block in Manchester, Conn..

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 07, 2018, 12:10:32 PM
During the overlap it's not considered the cross street

This is what I'm thinking for every single example out there.  For numbered state highways, there are official logs to document what is and what isn't a particular route.  Unless anyone can provide such a log for a named street or road with an overlap that officially designates the same stretch of pavement as two different street names, then I'm just going to assume all street blades signing the cross-street along the thoroughfare are mere wayfinders–similar to how a [43] sign without a [TO] banner doesn't actually make a road "Hwy 43".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ipeters61

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2018, 11:45:35 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 07, 2018, 12:10:32 PM
During the overlap it's not considered the cross street

This is what I'm thinking for every single example out there.  For numbered state highways, there are official logs to document what is and what isn't a particular route.  Unless anyone can provide such a log for a named street or road with an overlap that officially designates the same stretch of pavement as two different street names, then I'm just going to assume all street blades signing the cross-street along the thoroughfare are mere wayfinders–similar to how a [43] sign without a [TO] banner doesn't actually make a road "Hwy 43".
Looking at my example in Dover, DE-8 is officially designated as Kings Highway along the "overlap" (based on DelDOT's AADT documentation and FirstMap's Road Inventory).  I also checked the Kent County Levy Court GIS map on all the properties there and Kent County lists their addresses as Kings Highway.  The only official source referring to it as Division Street is the DelDOT/DART bus stop located there.

What's weird about it though is that Division Street/DE-8, which is the "through route" there takes the cross street's (Kings Highway) name, which is why it baffles me so much.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

bzakharin

How about Avenue of the Americas / 6th Ave in NYC? Or Avenue of the Arts / Broad Street in Philadelphia?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.