News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Autoroute 85 Status?

Started by ghYHZ, December 16, 2012, 09:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard3

Quote from: vdeane on November 06, 2018, 08:36:42 PM
Quote from: Transportfan on November 06, 2018, 04:15:05 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 04, 2018, 08:31:00 AM
Let's dust off this thread with some news that was released two months ago...

https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/salle-de-presse/nouvelles/Pages/travaux-route-185.aspx

So yeah, let's say that they are currently clearing the right-of-way with construction scheduled for 2021 and will be completed in 2025... This will be the last phase to convert highway 185 to a freeway all the way to New Brunswick from A-20...

That's not a dust off, it's an annoying thread bump with no new info. :angry:
I don't recall that press release being posted on this forum.  I do recall something from one of the Facebook groups, though we have at least a few members who aren't on Facebook, so it might be new to them.

It's just a press release from the MTQ to tell that works are in their beginning.  The contractor installed some work site offices, and carried some machinery.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Richard3

Quote from: Richard3 on November 28, 2018, 12:30:39 AM
Quote from: vdeane on November 06, 2018, 08:36:42 PM
Quote from: Transportfan on November 06, 2018, 04:15:05 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 04, 2018, 08:31:00 AM
Let's dust off this thread with some news that was released two months ago...

https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/salle-de-presse/nouvelles/Pages/travaux-route-185.aspx

So yeah, let's say that they are currently clearing the right-of-way with construction scheduled for 2021 and will be completed in 2025... This will be the last phase to convert highway 185 to a freeway all the way to New Brunswick from A-20...

That's not a dust off, it's an annoying thread bump with no new info. :angry:
I don't recall that press release being posted on this forum.  I do recall something from one of the Facebook groups, though we have at least a few members who aren't on Facebook, so it might be new to them.

It's just a press release from the MTQ to tell that works are in their beginning.  The contractor installed some work site offices, and carried some machinery.

After more than one year, can we consider this a dust off?  :spin: :spin: :spin:

The MTQ divided the last 40-km (25-mile) section of QC-185 in 7 segments, and works are begun on segments 1, 2, 3 and 6, as explained on this MTQ document (sorry, only in French).

https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/projets-infrastructures/reseau-routier/projets-routiers/BSL-Gaspesie-IDLM/autoroute-85-claude-bechard/Documents/Documentation/Cartes/carte-phase-III.pdf
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

froggie

^ There's enough info to glean off that PDF without having to read French.

Can also get an idea on likely interchange locations given how they segmented that stretch.  Clearly an interchange at QC 291 (Segment 6) was deemed more important than a more gradual proceeding from west-to-east (or vice versa).

Is there really that much daily traffic that far north?  The PDF mentions a daily volume of 7K, with 26% trucks.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on December 10, 2019, 12:45:33 PM

Can also get an idea on likely interchange locations given how they segmented that stretch.  Clearly an interchange at QC 291 (Segment 6) was deemed more important than a more gradual proceeding from west-to-east (or vice versa).

Is there really that much daily traffic that far north?  The PDF mentions a daily volume of 7K, with 26% trucks.
I believe it. It's the only all-Canada link from the Maritimes.

Richard3

Quote from: Alps on December 10, 2019, 01:35:42 PM

It will be the first - and only - east-west Interstate-grade freeway north of NH-101.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Alps

Quote from: Richard3 on December 11, 2019, 02:32:40 PM

It will be the first - and only - east-west Interstate-grade freeway north of NH-101.
I-393 ;)

Richard3

Quote from: Alps on December 12, 2019, 12:05:37 AM
Quote from: Richard3 on December 11, 2019, 02:32:40 PM

I-393 ;)

Is I-393 connecting to I-95? (Yeah, I know, I didn't specify...)
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

ghYHZ

Other than the QC132/NB11 link near Campbellton.....this is the only major all-Canada route to the Maritimes and onto Newfoundland serving a population of around 2.3 million.

froggie

A couple weeks ago, "Unclecoolie" posted a new road video on Youtube that shows southbound A-85/QC-185 as of this past July.  The A-85 coverage begins around 3:50:00.

Richard3

You're right. The daily volume varies from 6100 to 14500, as of latest MTQ data, the highest figures closer to Riviere-du-Loup, and the lowest closer to QC/NB border.

For the rest, works will slow down a bit for the winter, but are already on a good way; I even expect some parts of the freeway to open late-2021.

Future exits will be, north to south:

- Exit 85: Route de la Station, Saint-Antonin (close to Irving Service Station/Truck Stop).
- Exit 71: Chemin Tache Ouest, Saint-Hubert-de-Riviere-du-Loup.
- Exit 66 (Southbound Only): 10e Rang, rue Principale (west), Saint-Honore-de-Temiscouata.
- Exit 60: QC-291, rue Talbot, St-Honore-de-Temiscouata (also leads to Saint-Elzear-de-Temiscouata).
- Exit 56 (Northbound Only): rue Principale (east), Saint-Honore-de-Temiscouata.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Richard3

Quote from: Richard3 on December 13, 2020, 02:17:21 AM

You're right. The daily volume varies from 6100 to 14500, as of latest MTQ data, the highest figures closer to Riviere-du-Loup, and the lowest closer to QC/NB border.

For the rest, works will slow down a bit for the winter, but are already on a good way; I even expect some parts of the freeway to open late-2021.

Future exits will be, north to south:

- Exit 85: Route de la Station, Saint-Antonin (close to Irving Service Station/Truck Stop).
- Exit 71: Chemin Tache Ouest, Saint-Hubert-de-Riviere-du-Loup.
- Exit 66 (Southbound Only): 10e Rang, rue Principale (west), Saint-Honore-de-Temiscouata.
- Exit 60: QC-291, rue Talbot, St-Honore-de-Temiscouata (also leads to Saint-Elzear-de-Temiscouata).
- Exit 56 (Northbound Only): rue Principale (east), Saint-Honore-de-Temiscouata.

I know, there's a lot of dust on that thread, but I just put it back on the top of the pile, since the A-85 status was included in the Quebec Roads thread. So let me take a bit of an update.

Here's an enlargeable map that shows the entire project, between A-20 and the NB border.  The informations on the map are in French.

The A-85 completion project, going on around 25 miles (40 km), was separated in 7 segments, from north to south, as follows:

- Segment 1: from km markers 89.0 to 85.6, opened on November 11th 2021
- Segment 2: from km markers 85.6 to 77.3, opened on September 7th 2022
- Segment 3: from km markers 77.3 to 73.3, also opened on September 7th 2022
- Segment 4: from km markers 73.3 to 67.7, is under construction now
- Segment 5: from km markers 67.7 to 63.0, is also under construction now
- Segment 6: from km markers 63.0 to 57.2, opened on November 2nd 2022
- Segment 7: from km markers 57.2 to 49.0, is under construction now.

Actually, the most advanced segments still under construction are segments 4 and 5, the segment 7 was the last to get into works, in winter of 2023.  Next openings are expected in 2024, and the last segment opening is scheduled for the end of 2026.  If I have the chance to go there (out of my work as a semi driver), I'll take some pics for you.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

seicer

I get a 404 error on that map.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: seicer on October 05, 2023, 02:25:16 PM
I get a 404 error on that map.

Fortunately, the Wayback Machine have archived a copy of the map. https://web.archive.org/web/20230507064132/https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/projets-infrastructures/reseau-routier/projets-routiers/BSL-Gaspesie-IDLM/autoroute-85-claude-bechard/Documents/Documentation/Cartes/carte-base-ar85.pdf

seicer

Ah - with the recent forum issues, it was surfacing an old post as new.

Henry

When this is completed, the Trans-Canada Highway will have its longest continuous freeway section, going from west of Ottawa to the middle of Nova Scotia, spamming four provinces in the process. American tourists should feel right at home driving on it :cheers:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cbeach40

Quote from: Henry on October 10, 2023, 10:22:04 PM
When this is completed, the Trans-Canada Highway will have its longest continuous freeway section, going from west of Ottawa to the middle of Nova Scotia, spamming four provinces in the process. American tourists should feel right at home driving on it :cheers:

Until the typical milquetoast American driver enters a driving environment full of rampaging Québécois maniacs. Tears will be shed.  :-D
and waterrrrrrr!

1995hoo

That typo has me picturing a proliferation of billboards saying things like "Enlarge your penis now" or "I have gained access to your webcam" or "Camp Lejeune has settled."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

I don't think Americans would drive to Ottawa first to go to Nova Scotia...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Richard3

Quote from: Rothman on October 16, 2023, 01:35:15 PM

Driving QC-NB-NS on TCH for my job, I see more license plates from Ontario, Alberta and Quebec than all US states reunited. Even in summer.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Rothman

Quote from: Richard3 on October 17, 2023, 05:06:16 AM

Driving QC-NB-NS on TCH for my job, I see more license plates from Ontario, Alberta and Quebec than all US states reunited. Even in summer.
Well, of course, given the convoluted route Americans would have to take going that way to get to NS.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

zzcarp

Quote from: Rothman on October 17, 2023, 07:03:52 AM
Quote from: Richard3 on October 17, 2023, 05:06:16 AM

Well, of course, given the convoluted route Americans would have to take going that way to get to NS.

From Colorado, it would be 41 hours (2,735 miles) of driving to drive to Sydney, NS via Highway 401 in Ontario/Autoroute 20 in Quebec, then the TCH to Sydney versus 41 hours (2,747 miles) using I-80 to I-90 to I-95 and crossing in Maine. So it's really a wash and not that convoluted for anyone in Detroit or points west. Though I suggest that few people from here are actually heading on road trips to NS.
So many miles and so many roads

Henry

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 16, 2023, 11:03:52 AM

That typo has me picturing a proliferation of billboards saying things like "Enlarge your penis now" or "I have gained access to your webcam" or "Camp Lejeune has settled."
Talk about a huge Freudian slip there! :banghead:

It's obvious that what I meant would replace the m's with n's; thanks for pointing it out.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LilianaUwU

Quote from: cbeach40 on October 16, 2023, 10:50:01 AM

Until the typical milquetoast American driver enters a driving environment full of rampaging Québécois maniacs. Tears will be shed.  :-D

At least Québécois drivers don't have an entire bad driving stereotype named after them. Am I right, Massachusetts?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

cbeach40

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 25, 2023, 06:31:22 PM

At least Québécois drivers don't have an entire bad driving stereotype named after them. Am I right, Massachusetts?

and waterrrrrrr!

Brandon

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 25, 2023, 06:31:22 PM

Illinois has entered the chat: FIB, FIP, FISH.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.