Incredible examples of "This is all one road."

Started by TheGrassGuy, June 09, 2021, 08:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrassGuy

What are some extraordinary long routes you can take without turning, that involve lots of different roads? (Dalton Highway for example doesn't count. Most limited access highways don't either.)

Racetrack Rd in Ho-Ho-Kus - CR 507 - US 202 - NY 59 - NY 17 - NY 32 - NY 300 - NY 207 - Main Street in Goshen. 56.2 miles, 1 h 33 min.

Hornell - NY 21 - NY 15 - NY 15A - Henrietta Rd - Crittenden Blvd in Rochester. 59.6 miles, 1 h 20 min.

Charlotte Area. No primary state routes. 28.1 miles, 57 min.

Charlotte Area. No primary state routes. 25.7 miles, 54 min.

Connecticut, mostly CT 10. 40.2 miles, 1 hr 29 min.

NJ 154 - NJ 41 - CR 537, Voorhees to Tinton Falls. 62.3 miles, 1 hr 45 min.

CR 539. 46.8 miles, 59 min.

Weird one where I live. 20 miles, 39 min.

Sorry if this is a weird topic.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

MCRoads

If using exits counts, than I think I have a really long one: Norfolk to DC Via Eastern Peninsula. Completely pointless, and has no turns.

I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Exits shouldn't count, IMHO.  They're just glorified turns.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on June 09, 2021, 08:56:00 AM
What are some extraordinary long routes you can take without turning, that involve lots of different roads? (Dalton Highway for example doesn't count. Most limited access highways don't either.)

Actually, it's not a weird topic and highlights a pet peeve of mine.  There are a lot of newer highways and roads (particularly here in the South) that have developed into major arterials, but involve a "sine salad" of [obsolete] route numbers and hop-along routes.  Some of these do jump onto bypasses around small cities, so they won't necessarily qualify as "extraordinary long routes you can take without turning". 

Some not-so-great examples in this part of the country:

North Carolina
     Charlotte to Albemarle to Richfield (NC-24/NC-27//US-52) - 50 miles
Virginia
     Norfolk/Portsmouth to Smithfield to Rushmere (VA-164/US-17//VA-10), portions connecting to Norfolk may not qualify - 31 miles
South Carolina
     Cheraw to Bennettsville to Conway to Marion (SC-9//SC-38//US-501) - 57 miles

hbelkins

Are you referring to roads that have one designated name over multiple numerical designations?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on June 09, 2021, 11:21:58 AM
Are you referring to roads that have one designated name over multiple numerical designations?

The requirement is that it doesn't turn.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Hornell - NY 21 - NY 15 - NY 15A - Henrietta Rd - Crittenden Blvd in Rochester. 59.6 miles, 1 h 20 min.
[img]

Not a weird topic at all! What in particular is incredible about this example? Just the fact that it switches route number/designations several times?

In that vein, here's two of my favorite examples in this region: Blossom Rd/Creek St/Bay Rd and (deep breath) Hackett Rd/Yellow Mills Rd/Walworth Rd/Walworth-Palmyra Rd/Walworth-Ontario Rd/Furnace Rd.

Evan_Th

49 miles near Decatur, IL - Shorewood Rd to IL 121 to IL 316.  https://goo.gl/maps/VjsUPiy4z6BwwAQe8

But that pales next to 114 miles on US 136, without ever once turning or changing number - https://goo.gl/maps/hdTCpY7SaSLbJ5Dm7

kphoger

What counts as "turning" at a location like this or this?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ned Weasel

I found a neat one, but it only works in one direction.  Starting in Merriam, Kansas and ending in Kansas City, MO, eastbound US 56 becomes eastbound Ward Parkway in Missouri, which becomes eastbound Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard (formerly Volker Boulevard), which becomes eastbound Blue Parkway, which becomes eastbound MO 350, which becomes eastbound US 50, which dumps you onto eastbound I-44, which becomes westbound I-70.  So the trip takes you almost all the way across the state of Missouri and back without turning or taking an exit.

Edit:  I don't know why it didn't occur to me when I posted this, but this one actually starts as 67th Street in Shawnee, KS, which becomes Shawnee Mission Parkway, which then becomes part of US 56, and so on.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

vdeane

I find the example that results from staying on the road the Northway is on rather than following designations is interesting.  What starts as a small stub becomes a major superhighway and ends as a residential street in Québec.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Around here, there's this example.

29 miles

Gold St  >  McLean Blvd  >  Amidon Ave  >  Womer St  >  Meridian Ave
Male pronouns, please.

Evan_Th

46 miles around Chapel Hill, NC:  Hawkins Ave, Sanford; to US 15-501; to NC 86.  https://goo.gl/maps/kHLxyFKqMZT3QnYR8

78 miles from Durham, NC:  Duke St to US 501 to VA 360 to VA 344:  https://goo.gl/maps/AZ6UDnLjqxnmxeLZ9

Not sure this's allowed as it goes through a long limited-access highway which turns into unlimited-access at both ends, but 97 miles from Greensboro, NC to Fayetteville, NC using US 421, NC 87, NC 24, and NC 210 with unnumbered roads on both ends:  https://goo.gl/maps/5Fh3XFFZ41Zhk5N96

Scott5114

This isn't particularly difficult to achieve in Plains states like Oklahoma, which generally have a uniform grid that is only interrupted by the presence of things like rivers.

Take, for example, Reno Avenue, an arterial that passes through the heart of downtown Oklahoma City. 62.7 miles in four counties, with a few 90° turns on the west end, one of it giving it a different name (Ranch Road). This isn't even a particularly long example, just the first one I thought of. You could probably find a better one if you looked at a map and found a spot where major rivers are particularly far apart.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Quote from: Evan_Th on June 09, 2021, 12:43:12 PM
it goes through a long limited-access highway which turns into unlimited-access at both ends

I mean, there are Interstate highways that turn into unlimited-access at both ends.  Depending on how you count system interchanges, for example, this 1680-mile multinational drive might qualify under those parameters.
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

Van Dyke Ave in Detroit at Jefferson --> M-53 Freeway --> Van Dyke Rd north of 34 Mile Rd --> Bad Axe MI (where it makes a left turn to continue toward Port Austin at the tip of the Thumb).  About 110-115 miles.

Note that before the M-53 freeway was built, you followed Van Dyke Ave/Rd for the entire length.  (You still can follow Van Dyke, but it requires turns off and back onto M-53, plus going through a roundabout.)

TheGrassGuy

This one goes all the way from Pennsauken to Red Bank, using NJ 70 and NJ 35 (though the road cannot currently be followed all the way to the end because Broad St in Red Bank is currently pedestrianized for the season).

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: webny99 on June 09, 2021, 11:45:06 AM
[img]

Not a weird topic at all! What in particular is incredible about this example? Just the fact that it switches route number/designations several times?

In that vein, here's two of my favorite examples in this region: Blossom Rd/Creek St/Bay Rd and (deep breath) Hackett Rd/Yellow Mills Rd/Walworth Rd/Walworth-Palmyra Rd/Walworth-Ontario Rd/Furnace Rd.

Not only that, but the fact that you can drive for dozens of miles, for like an hour, without turning.

TheGrassGuy

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

ari-s-drives

cbeach40

Local street in Toronto becomes Hwy 400, continues onto Hwy 11 then Hwy 17, goes through the heart of Sudbury and goes up to Timmins on Hwy 144.

730 km with no turns

and waterrrrrrr!

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheGrassGuy

Haven't worked out the rules for traffic circles yet

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.