News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What road feature does your state have that makes you unique?

Started by MaddogMicharski, July 22, 2021, 12:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missouri and it's continuous 3 lane roads and calls them shared 4 and has them as multilane on their maps.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: A numbering system that mirrors the US highway grid, small blue mileage markers for state and US highways.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

sprjus4

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 11:28:43 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 22, 2021, 11:15:00 AM
-Having two lane rural highways with 75 mph speed limits (again, not alone, but on the shortlist).

What other state makes this list?  I'm not aware of any.
Texas is the only state in the United States with a speed limit higher than 70 mph on a two-lane road.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 22, 2021, 12:08:31 PM
-Having two lane rural highways with 75 mph speed limits (again, not alone, but on the shortlist).

Texas is the only state in the United States with a speed limit higher than 70 mph on a two-lane road.
And the max in North Carolina is only 55mph. Well we are also  more urbanized and have more curvy roads.

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 12:11:03 PM

And the max in North Carolina is only 55mph.

Along with–what?–nine other states?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

New York and their practice of using box girder guard rails.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

And the max in North Carolina is only 55mph. Well we are also  more urbanized and have more curvy roads.
Can't speak for other routes, but much of NC-11 could easily handle a Texas-style 70 mph speed limit.

JayhawkCO

Colorado: Altitude? Avalanche Tunnels? U.S. Highways that officially exist in a state and aren't signed even once (US87)? 

Chris

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 12:14:53 PM

And the max in North Carolina is only 55mph.

Along with–what?–nine other states?

I have seen some 75 mph speed limits in New Mexico on non-interstate highways.  At this time, I can't remember if they were two or four lane highways. 

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 22, 2021, 12:35:20 PM
Colorado: ... U.S. Highways that officially exist in a state and aren't signed even once (US87)? 

Used to be.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 22, 2021, 12:44:11 PM
I have seen some 75 mph speed limits in New Mexico on non-interstate highways.  At this time, I can't remember if they were two or four lane highways. 

Undivided highways cap out at 70 in NM.
Male pronouns, please.

Dirt Roads

Scott5114

A blatant disregard for basic principles of graphic design
like proper centering and alignment.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on July 22, 2021, 12:26:24 PM
NY uses box beam guide rails.  I am sure other states have dabbled as well. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2021, 12:56:45 PM

Speaking of which...  How did that three-quarters error at the Guthrie exit even happen in the first place?  It was a sign replacement.  How did three lines of legend end up being dissimilar on the same sign panels?  It's like they just copied & pasted from the old spec sheets into the new one and then made an addition, or something.  This has been puzzling me for a while.

Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2021, 01:13:30 PM

Quote from: roadman65 on July 22, 2021, 12:26:24 PM

NY uses box beam guide rails.

Don't forget the Empire State, too.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 01:17:38 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2021, 12:56:45 PM

Speaking of which...  How did that three-quarters error at the Guthrie exit even happen in the first place?  It was a sign replacement.  How did three lines of legend end up being dissimilar on the same sign panels?  It's like they just copied & pasted from the old spec sheets into the new one and then made an addition, or something.  This has been puzzling me for a while.

I remember when "Perkins" was added to that sign, and at the time when it had just happened, I remembered noticing the panel that "Perkins" was on was a darker green than the other two. So my theory at the time was that the panels that the "Cushing" and the arrow were on were moved downward and a new panel with "Perkins" inserted.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2021, 02:44:23 PM
I remember when "Perkins" was added to that sign, and at the time when it had just happened, I remembered noticing the panel that "Perkins" was on was a darker green than the other two. So my theory at the time was that the panels that the "Cushing" and the arrow were on were moved downward and a new panel with "Perkins" inserted.

Ahhh...  So they're actually the same old signs, just split in half with the new legend inserted on new metal.
Male pronouns, please.

US 89

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 22, 2021, 12:35:20 PM
Colorado: ... U.S. Highways that officially exist in a state and aren't signed even once (US87)? 

Can't forget US 85 right next door in New Mexico

NoGoodNamesAvailable

NY (at least until recently) didn't tell you when you're entering a 55 limit. Usually the sign says "END XX MPH LIMIT" and you are expected to know what that means on your own.

skluth

California, especially Los Angeles - Thousands of homeless camped under practically every interstate viaduct in the city. We have a lot of homeless in Palm Springs, but it pales compared to LA.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: skluth on July 22, 2021, 06:31:10 PM
California, especially Los Angeles - Thousands of homeless camped under practically every interstate viaduct in the city. We have a lot of homeless in Palm Springs, but it pales compared to LA.

Not unique to California unfortunately.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 22, 2021, 12:34:45 PM

Can't speak for other routes, but much of NC-11 could easily handle a Texas-style 70 mph speed limit.
How about NC-241?

And I'm sure US-70 between Cove City and New Bern can handle an 80 mph speed limit.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 22, 2021, 06:32:59 PM

The size of them are something that I've only ever seen elsewhere in Seattle and Portland.  Locally there was a big camp that was just cleared from transition of Golden State Boulevard on CA 99 near downtown Fresno.  The Alaskan Way Viaduct in 2019 had probably the largest domestic homeless camp I've ever seen.

skluth

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 22, 2021, 06:32:59 PM

The sheer numbers are unique to California. California has 28% of the US homeless population. Only NY comes close with 16%. More importantly, California has 51% of the unsheltered homeless. It reminded me of when I was in Afghanistan with all the refugees along the road in lean-to's leading into Kabul.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.