News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

St. Louis Road Meet - March 15, 2014 at 11 AM

Started by kharvey10, October 17, 2013, 11:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on December 30, 2013, 10:16:29 AM
I'm going to plan on attending this. I'm not Facebook friends with Kim, so I'll need one of my mutual Facebook friends to invite me so I can RSVP there. :)

A.J., I attempted to do so, but it looks like she's created the event for the St. Louis Roads FB group, which you aren't a member of, so I couldn't.
[/quote]

Thanks for trying, H.B.  I just submitted a request to join the FB group. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

Laura

I'm mega excited about this meet. I've put myself as a "maybe" but as long as Mike and I can get off from work that Friday, we should be good to make it.

CapeCodder

hbelkins

This is now more possible than I originally thought, but given that it's the first of three successive meets that are within reasonable driving distance from me (this one, then whatever Froggie decides to do re: DC vs. Hampton Roads, then Nashville) I will definitely have to forego at least one of the meets.

Three meets in three weekends might equal divorce.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Well H.B., I will be ok if you skip mine since I am sure I will see you at the St Louis meet ;-) Laura- that is good news, especailly since Steph should be coming with me on this trip, you guys can catch up! :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

oscar

I'm a probable, with my plan to include the St. Louis meet on my way back from a trip to Texas and/or New Mexico.  I'll confirm later as my plans solidify.

That would get me home in plenty of time for Froggie's and Mike/Laura's meets penciled in for the following weekend.  But Nashville the weekend after that would be pushing it.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

A.J. Bertin

-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

It's not out of the realm of possibility for me. Getting Jeremy and Tim together at a meet would be reason enough.

bulldog1979

This meet falls at the end of my spring break week, so I could be a possible depending on how feasible it is to get there from the UP of Michigan and a few other things.

Brandon

Quote from: Steve on January 14, 2014, 12:58:53 AM
It's not out of the realm of possibility for me. Getting Jeremy and Tim together at a meet would be reason enough.

Damn, we're gettin' the mtr band back together!  :cheers: :-D
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on January 26, 2014, 03:56:36 PM
Quote from: Steve on January 14, 2014, 12:58:53 AM

Damn, we're gettin' the mtr band back together!  :cheers: :-D
You were there??

froggie

Brandon

Got on mtr back in 1997 and haven't been the same since.  :bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on January 26, 2014, 09:35:18 PM
Got on mtr back in 1997 and haven't been the same since.  :bigass:
I must have just ignored you, since you weren't Lansford or Kozel. :D

jpi

I was on MTR too as "JPI" but only posted here and there.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

kharvey10

The Musial Bridge opened to traffic yesterday.  The meet is just over a month away, and while its great during the day the view is even better at night.

bandit957

So I've buyed a bus ticket, and I'm on my way to where the air is sweet!
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brandon

Quote from: bandit957 on February 11, 2014, 04:49:07 PM
So I've buyed a bus ticket, and I'm on my way to where the air is sweet!

See you in Saint Louis, Louie.  :D

corco

Got the time off approved today, going to leave Friday the 7th, drive out via US 2 and check out the upper peninsula (go to the north terminus of US 41), swing down to southern Ohio to see family, head down through Appalachia to visit SC/GA/AL/MS, then come back up to St Louis, all off interstate once get I out of Montana. Then I'll have two days to get back.  Should be action packed but fun.

codyg1985

Quote from: corco on February 11, 2014, 07:11:03 PM
Got the time off approved today, going to leave Friday the 7th, drive out via US 2 and check out the upper peninsula (go to the north terminus of US 41), swing down to southern Ohio to see family, head down through Appalachia to visit SC/GA/AL/MS, then come back up to St Louis, all off interstate once get out of Montana. Then I'll have two days to get back.  Should be action packed but fun.

Wow, that's a lot of ground to cover! What's your route going to be through the south?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

corco

Pick up US 19 somewhere in WV, then US 421 in Bristol to US 221 in Boone, probably spend the night in Boone. Then US 221->US 76->spend the night in Chattanooga, then US 72->US 45->various Illinois state highways->St Louis, so yeah, I'm just clipping the northern edges of those southern states- a total of 36 miles in Mississippi!

hbelkins

Quote from: corco on February 11, 2014, 07:17:39 PM
US 421 in Bristol to US 221 in Boone

Unless you have a burning desire to clinch US 421 in Tennessee or enjoy winding around mountains on switchbacks, I'd recommend I-81 from Bristol (or US 11/19, if you prefer) through Abingdon to US 58 and Damascus, then VA/TN 91 south to US 421 at Mountain City. Much better road, probably faster, and no big honkin' mountains to cross.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

corco

I do like me some big honkin' mountains and switchbacks, but if I'm short on time I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind as a good alternate.

bandit957

As with the Ashland meet, I'll have some extra time between arrival and the start of the meet. Anyone know of anything Roads Scholarly that I might want to check out? (I have a few ideas already.)
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Alps

Quote from: bandit957 on February 11, 2014, 10:40:48 PM
As with the Ashland meet, I'll have some extra time between arrival and the start of the meet. Anyone know of anything Roads Scholarly that I might want to check out? (I have a few ideas already.)
US 66 bridge stub (and RR truss next door)
Head north and/or east from there and you can probably find a handful of 44-55-64-70 type hyphenated shields. There was also construction on Tucker Blvd. near Cass Ave. last time I was there - along the route of old US 66. May be done now.
Pretty much every bridge carried US 66 at some point. Check them out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.