News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

County borders on the Thruway

Started by papaT10932, March 05, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammack

Quote from: froggie on March 07, 2010, 07:33:12 AM

Sammack:  it's a consistency thing...or in the case of Jersey and the NY Thruway, a lack of consistency (BTW, Thruway has 1/10 milemarkers).

As long as they are separate authorities it is very unlikely to change

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 05, 2010, 09:16:18 PM
It seems like turnpikes are in general rather lax about signing county lines. As far as I know, the Chickasaw Turnpike is the only one in OK that has county line signage (not really an accomplishment because the Chickasaw crosses only one line). I think the NJ Turnpike also lacks county line signage.
The Creek/Choctaw Nation boundary (the South Canadian River) is marked on the Indian Nation Turnpike but the McIntosh/Pittsburg County line isn't.

hbelkins

Jeremy, did you know there is a bug making a figure 8 beneath your username and information on your blog posts? Might want to spray your computer with Raid.  :-D :-D :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on March 18, 2010, 01:46:01 PM
Jeremy, did you know there is a bug making a figure 8 beneath your username and information on your blog posts? Might want to spray your computer with Raid.  :-D :-D :-D

I've been trying to kill that little bastard for hours.  Thanks for the heads up!

mc78andrew

Quote from: corco on March 06, 2010, 10:16:19 AM
Who do they think we are? Idiots? That's not only a ridiculous response, but its also insulting because its so blatant a lie. Why don't you write them back and tell them that speed limit signs are "distracting"? Or better yet... "Pay toll ahead"... VERY distracting!

And last time I checked, billboards were allowed on the Thruway

Billboards are physically on the ROW on the NJTPK and the AC-Expressway.   FHA regulations that prohibit billboards on the ROW do not apply to state owned or private tollroads. 

sammack

Billboards are physically on the ROW on the NJTPK and the AC-Expressway.   FHA regulations that prohibit billboards on the ROW do not apply to state owned or private tollroads.  

Please provide me a milepost as to where billboards on the NJTP and ACE physically exist on the ROW.

Alps

As far as the NJTP goes, I believe all the billboards are in fact off the ROW.  The NJTA is picky about that.  I believe the SJTA doesn't care, though.

mc78andrew

Quote from: sammack on March 21, 2010, 10:28:11 PM
Billboards are physically on the ROW on the NJTPK and the AC-Expressway.   FHA regulations that prohibit billboards on the ROW do not apply to state owned or private tollroads. 

Please provide me a milepost as to where billboards on the NJTP and ACE physically exist on the ROW.

Why?  Don't tell me you're going to cut them down now. 

I'll have to check my facts on the NJTP.  I think they are on the ROW in Linden Elizabeth and Newark...some of that could be port authority property or NJ-Transit property, but i'm pretty sure the NJTP started allowing billboards on the ROW in the mid 1990's.  Interstate outdoor recently build more in the early 2000's that i thought were on NJTP ROW, but i've been out of the billbaord game for a while now, so i cannot remember.  All the state agencies with land near highways have been exploring leasing un-used land to billboard operators...when NJ transit tracks run under an interstate, the railroad ROW often bumps right up against the highway, thus a billboard can be dropped in right next to the shoulder...I-287 is a good example of that.

sammack

Quote from: mc78andrew on March 24, 2010, 09:27:01 PM

Please do  not make absurd statements.

I'll have to check my facts on the NJTP.  I think they are on the ROW in Linden Elizabeth and Newark...some of that could be port authority property or NJ-Transit property, but i'm pretty sure the NJTP started allowing billboards on the ROW in the mid 1990's.  Interstate outdoor recently build more in the early 2000's that i thought were on NJTP ROW, but i've been out of the billbaord game for a while now, so i cannot remember.  All the state agencies with land near highways have been exploring leasing un-used land to billboard operators...when NJ transit tracks run under an interstate, the railroad ROW often bumps right up against the highway, thus a billboard can be dropped in right next to the shoulder...I-287 is a good example of that.

No argument that Amtrak can sell rights to erect a billboard on its property visible from a overcrossing hwy.

The point remains that on the NJTPK as well as the ACE there are no billboards inside the ROW.

Just outside the ROW, is just that.

mc78andrew

Quote from: sammack on March 25, 2010, 07:51:28 PM

No argument that Amtrak can sell rights to erect a billboard on its property visible from a overcrossing hwy.

The point remains that on the NJTPK as well as the ACE there are no billboards inside the ROW.

Well, you seem to have quicker access to resources so please try to prove for me that this sign is not on the ACE ROW while i dig up proof that both agencies have at least one billboard on their respective ROWs.

Look at:  ACE eastbound just west of the n. franklin blvd bridge.  (last bridge before toll plaza)  It's in pleasantville nj...nothing pleasant about that part of south jesery, i might add. 

Give me a few days and i'll see if i can obtain a copy of a lease between a private billboard company and one of the agencies. 

sammack

Quote from: mc78andrew on March 25, 2010, 08:31:33 PM
Quote from: sammack on March 25, 2010, 07:51:28 PM

Well, you seem to have quicker access to resources so please try to prove for me that this sign is not on the ACE ROW while i dig up proof that both agencies have at least one billboard on their respective ROWs.

Look at:  ACE eastbound just west of the n. franklin blvd bridge.  (last bridge before toll plaza)  It's in pleasantville nj...nothing pleasant about that part of south jesery, i might add. 

Give me a few days and i'll see if i can obtain a copy of a lease between a private billboard company and one of the agencies. 

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=franklin+blvd+pleasantville,+nj&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.976484,76.904297&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=N+Franklin+Blvd,+Pleasantville,+Atlantic,+New+Jersey+08232&ll=39.397303,-74.515302&spn=0.001679,0.004694&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.397248,-74.515212&panoid=zH4a9bxourC4M7u9SKR0LQ&cbp=12,141.82,,0,-11.15

you got me on this.

It is a shame that none of the traffic engs that work for the SJTA objected.  It is beyond any bounds that something like this, which obviously distracts from the approaching toll booth advanced signage would be approved.

There is nothing remotely resembling anything like this on the NJTP.

burgess87

There's no reason motorists shouldn't know what county they're in. 

I should write the NYSTA and ask them why they don't post the county lines.

I wonder if they'll tell me that I'm an idiot.

sammack

Quote from: burgess87 on March 29, 2010, 05:23:24 PM
There's no reason motorists shouldn't know what county they're in. 

I should write the NYSTA and ask them why they don't post the county lines.

I wonder if they'll tell me that I'm an idiot.

No, they will not tell you that.  But what they will tell you is this:

The engineers of the Thruway Authority feel there are enough signs and there is no need for additional signage.

Also consider the cost of two signs or each county line change with fabrication, supports, and the cost of installation.  As I said, they do not feel they need them. 

No matter how you feel, it will not happen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.