AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Future Mods/Admins  (Read 17320 times)

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:31:54 PM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
Re: Future Mods/Admins
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2021, 09:03:24 PM »

I guess for the southeast board, Mapmikey maybe?

Um...thanks?

I’ve managed to go 32 years in my professional career without being anyone’s supervisor and that same desire would apply to moderating forum rooms.

I’d much rather spend the time and energy I have on the forum making roadgeek discoveries, solving roadgeek mysteries and passing along roadgeek knowledge/experience.

JoePCool14

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 09:54:48 PM
    • My TravelMapping stats
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2021, 09:46:12 PM »

TheAlan360 should be promoted to Alanland Regional Moderator Global Moderator. Case closed.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 55+ Clinches | 225+ Traveled | 7000+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2021, 09:57:33 PM »

I have volunteered numerous times to be a moderator. However, I know the changes of that happening are practically nonexistent, because my moderation style would be a lot less heavy-handed than many (most) of the others, and also because I have a much different life philosophy than those I consider to be the most active mods.

The Ohio Valley board (my home board) doesn't have a regional moderator.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

nexus73

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:05:54 AM
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2021, 10:46:10 AM »

Develop some depth by having more Mods.  The current group of Mods already know who is active and a member in good standing.  Take Max for instance.  He is a MVP-grade poster who would be perfect for the California section.  There are bound to be a few others.

Do I wish to Mod?  Not really. 

Am I happy with the Mods we have?  Yes.

Is AA Road Forums a good place to be?  You betcha!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2021, 11:00:19 AM »

Develop some depth by having more Mods.  The current group of Mods already know who is active and a member in good standing.  Take Max for instance.  He is a MVP-grade poster who would be perfect for the California section.  There are bound to be a few others.

Rick

While I appreciate the sentiment all the same I’m probably not what you’re looking for out of a moderator.  I have a tendency to get way too snarky and annoyed at stuff people post.  Someone who moderates shouldn’t really ought to be far neutral and less opinionated than someone like me.  Besides Roadfro does a good job at what I just described already on Pacific Southwest.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2021, 11:55:41 AM »

Rick

While I appreciate the sentiment all the same I’m probably not what you’re looking for out of a moderator.  I have a tendency to get way too snarky and annoyed at stuff people post.  Someone who moderates shouldn’t really ought to be far neutral and less opinionated than someone like me.  Besides Roadfro does a good job at what I just described already on Pacific Southwest.
If you ask one or two contributors to this thread, I'm the least neutral person out there. ;)

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2021, 12:39:16 PM »

I would be fine being a mod if I needed to be one, but I doubt anyone would consider me for oh so many reasons.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

rickmastfan67

• The Invisible One

• I want I-67 in PA!!!!

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 01:05:30 AM
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2021, 02:36:35 PM »

And it used to have one, which was me before I was promoted.

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2021, 02:56:52 PM »

I do think that all boards should have moderators.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:01:27 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2021, 02:59:19 PM »

Why? The global mods and admins keep watch over them, and I'm just as likely to moderate a thread as whoever the regional mod is for whatever section. The only difference is a regional mod may be more inclined to read their section first, as opposed to someone like me who checks General Highway Talk→Off Topic→Central States→whatever else catches my fancy...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2021, 03:01:06 PM »

Why? The global mods and admins keep watch over them, and I'm just as likely to moderate a thread as whoever the regional mod is for whatever section. The only difference is a regional mod may be more inclined to read their section first, as opposed to someone like me who checks General Highway Talk→Off Topic→Central States→whatever else catches my fancy...
It's just strange that some boards have them and some don't.

Scott5114

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2021, 03:11:50 PM »

Why is that strange?

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2021, 03:14:35 PM »

Asymmetry is the spice of life.

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 12:57:15 AM
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2021, 03:18:58 PM »

I'll let RGT answer for himself, but I also find it a bit strange - or maybe inconsistent is a better word - that some boards have regional mods and some don't.

If every board doesn't need one, then why does any board need one? (Unless it was based on a threshold for user traffic/posts in that board, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.)

Scott5114

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2021, 03:44:17 PM »

Well, like, look at Travel. I woke up today and checked it and there were three threads in there with new posts. Do we need to go through the trouble of vetting someone to look at three threads? No. So we haven't ever had a regional mod for Travel. Same goes for Mass Transit; there's just not enough activity there to make it worth having a moderator over.

The only actual regional board that doesn't have a mod assigned (whether active or not) is Ohio Valley, and we just straight up don't need to moderate Ohio Valley often enough to make an effort to find a mod for it.

thspfc

• Last Login: Today at 12:25:00 AM
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2021, 03:51:55 PM »

Well, like, look at Travel. I woke up today and checked it and there were three threads in there with new posts. Do we need to go through the trouble of vetting someone to look at three threads? No. So we haven't ever had a regional mod for Travel. Same goes for Mass Transit; there's just not enough activity there to make it worth having a moderator over.

The only actual regional board that doesn't have a mod assigned (whether active or not) is Ohio Valley, and we just straight up don't need to moderate Ohio Valley often enough to make an effort to find a mod for it.
I would say that the only boards that DO need moderation are General and Off-Topic. The regional boards sort of govern themselves, and the rest are small.

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 12:57:15 AM
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2021, 03:57:10 PM »

OK, yeah. I wasn't thinking so much of the smaller boards like Travel and Mass Transit.

For some reason, I thought there were more regional boards that didn't have moderators.

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2021, 04:24:46 PM »

I would say that the only boards that DO need moderation are General and Off-Topic. The regional boards sort of govern themselves, and the rest are small.
Fictional Highways occasionally needs some moderating. Urban Planning and Mass Transit have gotten heated as well...

Scott5114

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2021, 04:25:55 PM »

It happens infrequently enough that one of the global moderators or admins can handle it.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2021, 04:40:46 PM »

Fictional Highways occasionally needs some moderating. Urban Planning and Mass Transit have gotten heated as well...

That’s only because a certain someone got chased out of the regional boards by users that didn’t care for their attitude on display.  All the same, “heated”  doesn’t necessarily require moderation. 

SkyPesos

• I-80E to NYC, not Clarion, Dubois, Bloomsburg, etc

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:49:30 PM
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2021, 04:52:13 PM »

That’s only because a certain someone got chased out of the regional boards by users that didn’t care for their attitude on display.  All the same, “heated”  doesn’t necessarily require moderation.
We still have the global mods and admins for moderation in the non-regional boards as well.

Though for regional mods, is there a requirement that they need to live in the region they’re moderating? Like I know for Midwest-Great Lakes (my home region), rawrmustard lives in Michigan, which is part of it. Same with roadfro for Southwest and Bickendan for the PNW.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2021, 04:54:28 PM »

Though for regional mods, is there a requirement that they need to live in the region they’re moderating? Like I know for Midwest-Great Lakes (my home region), Rawrmustard lives in Michigan, which is part of it. Same with RoadFro for Southwest and Bickendan for the PNW.

Living outside the region is called carpetbagging, and at least in real life, it's allowed but discouraged.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2021, 04:55:11 PM »

Though for regional mods, is there a requirement that they need to live in the region they’re moderating? Like I know for Midwest-Great Lakes (my home region), Rawrmustard lives in Michigan, which is part of it. Same with RoadFro for Southwest and Bickendan for the PNW.

Living outside the region is called carpetbagging, and at least in real life, it's allowed but discouraged.
Isn't that people who move to other regions?

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2021, 05:33:07 PM »

The status quo is fine.  No need for any changes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2021, 06:01:00 PM »

I don't understand the obsession some posters have with this topic. Didn't we just have this thread like a month or two ago?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.