Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Liquor

<< < (35/43) > >>

kphoger:

--- Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 19, 2022, 04:46:55 PM ---

--- Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2022, 03:29:32 PM ---

--- Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 18, 2022, 06:34:22 PM ---Since people don't really blink when they pay the same thing for a glass of wine vs. a cocktail, my previous restaurant ran a 28% cost on wine and a 18% cost on liquor.

--- End quote ---

Out of curiosity, which restaurant was your last restaurant?  Milwaukee?

--- End quote ---

I was the F&B director at the Jacquard Hotel so I ran Narrative. Previously I was the GM of TAG and Guard & Grace.

--- End quote ---

Gotcha.  I was confused because, back when I was looking to see what establishments you had managed, I remember seeing an article that seemed to imply you were GM at Milwaukee Street.  But apparently it was just bad editing on the part of CBS.

JayhawkCO:

--- Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2022, 12:17:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 19, 2022, 04:46:55 PM ---

--- Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2022, 03:29:32 PM ---

--- Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 18, 2022, 06:34:22 PM ---Since people don't really blink when they pay the same thing for a glass of wine vs. a cocktail, my previous restaurant ran a 28% cost on wine and a 18% cost on liquor.

--- End quote ---

Out of curiosity, which restaurant was your last restaurant?  Milwaukee?

--- End quote ---

I was the F&B director at the Jacquard Hotel so I ran Narrative. Previously I was the GM of TAG and Guard & Grace.

--- End quote ---

Gotcha.  I was confused because, back when I was looking to see what establishments you had managed, I remember seeing an article that seemed to imply you were GM at Milwaukee Street.  But apparently it was just bad editing on the part of CBS.

--- End quote ---

The Jacquard is on Milwaukee Street, right across from a nice little dive bar called Milwaukee Street Tavern.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 20, 2022, 01:16:23 PM ---The Jacquard is on Milwaukee Street, right across from a nice little dive bar called Milwaukee Street Tavern.

--- End quote ---

Right.  It's just that the article was talking about Milwaukee Street Tavern, then referred to you as simply "restaurant manager ____ ____"—but failing to mention the establishment you were actually managing at the time.  When I first read it, I mistakenly thought that meant you were GM at Milwaukee Street (and changed jobs a LOT during the last few years).  In reality, I assume, they simply interviewed a bunch of you in the area, and then the article didn't even pass through a copy editor before publication.

JayhawkCO:

--- Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2022, 01:23:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 20, 2022, 01:16:23 PM ---The Jacquard is on Milwaukee Street, right across from a nice little dive bar called Milwaukee Street Tavern.

--- End quote ---

Right.  It's just that the article was talking about Milwaukee Street Tavern, then referred to you as simply "restaurant manager ____ ____"—but failing to mention the establishment you were actually managing at the time.  When I first read it, I mistakenly thought that meant you were GM at Milwaukee Street (and changed jobs a LOT during the last few years).  In reality, I assume, they simply interviewed a bunch of you in the area, and then the article didn't even pass through a copy editor before publication.

--- End quote ---

Sounds about right. When I did the opening, I had hours and hours of press junkets -- Denver Post on down to random Instagram influencers and bloggers. Not surprised they screwed a lot of things up.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: kphoger on September 27, 2022, 07:19:33 PM ---I just opened my latest bottle of gin:  Martin Miller's.

For a citrus lover like me, it's great for drinking neat.  The orange zest is bold and unmistakable, but juniper is by no means lacking.  (The citrus botanicals are kept separate from the others, and I suppose that attention to detail pays off on my palate.)  I haven't yet tried it in a cocktail, so time will tell if its flavor gets lost when mixed.  I must say, I'm intrigued to try it in drinks that feature orange-flavored components, which means I might finally get around to making a Flying Dutchman, and I might even switch from Peychaud's to orange bitters in my next G&T.

It's a bit pretentious, considering that the gin is distilled in West Midlands (England) but then gets shipped to Iceland to be diluted with that country's supposedly superior water.  But whatever.

--- End quote ---

Finished this bottle a week or two ago.  It's definitely a winner for drinking neat or in a Martini.  It also provides good balance in my more-gin-forward Negroni variations.  But there were a couple of cocktails in which I thought the juniper got lost in the mix.  I think what this means is that, when it comes to gin, I'm not quite the citrus lover I thought.  What I really desire more than anything is strong juniper.  And apparently other herbal botanicals as well, which kind of surprises me to learn about myself.

This time around, I went for Bombay Dry Gin—a very traditional London dry gin.  It has a similar flavor profile to Beefeater 24, which I loved, and it's easy on the pocketbook.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version