News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Need a New 10,000+ Rank Marker

Started by Rothman, June 03, 2022, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I've never been caught up in the post count wars, but I'm curious to know which member reached that rank the soonest after joining.

I admit to being a bit surprised to see that webny99 is a member of that club, given that it doesn't seem he's been a member that long.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

^ It was agentsteel53, and IIRC it didn't take very long for him to reach it.  webny99 is indeed the most recently joined member in the club, but not by much - roadgeekteen joined about a month earlier.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on June 05, 2022, 08:18:16 PM
^ It was agentsteel53, and IIRC it didn't take very long for him to reach it.  webny99 is indeed the most recently joined member in the club, but not by much - roadgeekteen joined about a month earlier.
The spammiest...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on June 05, 2022, 08:18:16 PM

And roadgeekteen hit 10,000 some time ago - probably a year or more - so to HB's question, he definitely got there faster than me.

I don't think it's to my credit to have reached 10,000 in ~5 years, by the way. I acknowledge that I do "like the forum way, way, too much", so if the badge is true of anyone that has it, it's probably me. And it's not for lack of trying not to like it, but it's addicting, and the past few years haven't helped either. Also worth noting that I've deleted a number of posts, with the most recent deletions being focused on removing whatever old posts I thought were unnecessary/spammy/low quality, speaking of which...

Quote from: Rothman on June 05, 2022, 08:21:49 PM
The spammiest...

Can't imagine this is directed at agentsteel53, so as for myself and Roadgeekteen (not to speak for him but I think he would acknowledge this as well), we were both a bit spammy in earlier days but have gotten better over time.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on June 04, 2022, 10:50:02 AM
And "way, way too much" is a relative term, so its value continues to go down with every user that reaches that rank.

Nah.  It absolutely true.  It's just that more of us have had the opportunity to like this forum way, way too much.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 06, 2022, 02:36:50 PM
And "way, way too much" is a relative term, so its value continues to go down with every user that reaches that rank.

Nah.  It absolutely true.  It's just that more of us have had the opportunity to like this forum way, way too much.

But it's still relative to other users. Admittedly, some users, including myself, liked the forum too much long before earning the badge. But now, almost 1/3 of all posts on the forum have the badge, so what value does it really hold? It's basically telling you this user has made a lot of posts... but we already know that a lot of users have made a lot of posts.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on June 06, 2022, 02:53:21 PM

But it's still relative to other users. Admittedly, some users, including myself, liked the forum too much long before earning the badge. But now, almost 1/3 of all posts on the forum have the badge, so what value does it really hold? It's basically telling you this user has made a lot of posts... but we already know that a lot of users have made a lot of posts.

Is a "badge"  actually something that is tangibly meaningful in some way?  To me post counts and badges are worthless.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 06, 2022, 02:56:59 PM

Is a "badge"  actually something that is tangibly meaningful in some way?  To me post counts and badges are worthless.
The badges are as precious as gold.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

As meaningful as an avatar, it tells something about a person behind the nickname.

kphoger

... so what value does it really hold? It's basically telling you this user has made a lot of posts... but we already know that a lot of users have made a lot of posts.

The whole point of these badges AT ALL is to show how many posts someone has made.  Not just this specific one.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on June 06, 2022, 03:32:15 PM
... so what value does it really hold? It's basically telling you this user has made a lot of posts... but we already know that a lot of users have made a lot of posts.

The whole point of these badges AT ALL is to show how many posts someone has made.  Not just this specific one.

Actually, it's the only point of the badges. To the beginner or novice, it probably means how much you'd value the opinion or facts coming from that/those responding user(s).

I'm not really too concerned with the badges but it helps denote a new member to welcome (or to be wary of if the topic is especially weird). But I'm also not dismissing an opinion out of hand because someone is an Arterial or C/D Ramp rank.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kalvado on June 06, 2022, 03:21:13 PM

As meaningful as an avatar, it tells something about a person behind the nickname.

Like?  Suffice to say there is some massive variance between the post quality of pretty much everyone in the forum.  How much/how little someone has posted doesn't really speak to things like that. 

webny99

Yes, but they're all road-related until you get to 10,000. The 10,000 one was always kind of cheesy and even moreso now that 20+ people have it.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on June 06, 2022, 03:45:47 PM
Yes, but they're all road-related until you get to 10,000. The 10,000 one was always kind of cheesy and even moreso now that 20+ people have it.

It's still road-related, because "the forum" is itself road-related.   :bigass:
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

And you expect anything I do about it is going to make it less cheesy somehow? :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 06, 2022, 05:14:19 PM

And you expect anything I do about it is going to make it less cheesy somehow? :P
We expect you to move cheesy thing a bit up so that worst spammers most enthusiastic posters wlll crash into it will make us smile some time later. Something like a "roundabout lover" would work just great for 10k, and easter egg   can go to 25k (or that is where surprise awaits anyway?)

Avalanchez71

Why not just change the goalpost lines?  That way you could use the existing badges but have different intervals per badge.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on June 06, 2022, 03:47:47 PM

It's still road-related, because "the forum" is itself road-related.   :bigass:
Wrong.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 06, 2022, 08:25:30 PM
Why not just change the goalpost lines?  That way you could use the existing badges but have different intervals per badge.

Parking Lot is now 0 -> 100,000 posts.  :bigass:

kalvado

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 06, 2022, 09:45:25 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 06, 2022, 08:25:30 PM

Parking Lot is now 0 -> 100,000 posts.  :bigass:
Siri find simple machines automatic posting

MCRoads

Man, I've been here just over 5 years, and I have 971 posts (at time of posting). The thought of getting 10,000 posts on here is insane. And yet, somehow I am still a pretty active member, being in the top 6% of all members in terms of post number. And according to the site, I have been actively logged in on here for 2 weeks, with an average if 0.516 posts per day. Anyone with 10,000 posts want to share their average daily posts, and logged-in time? (kphoger?)
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Rothman

My average daily posts is 2.113 per day.

I've been a member since May 2009, but I took a long hiatus in there.  Really didn't start participating on here until 2015.

webny99

Quote from: MCRoads on June 07, 2022, 09:09:10 AM
Man, I've been here just over 5 years, and I have 971 posts (at time of posting). The thought of getting 10,000 posts on here is insane. And yet, somehow I am still a pretty active member, being in the top 6% of all members in terms of post number. And according to the site, I have been actively logged in on here for 2 weeks, with an average if 0.516 posts per day. Anyone with 10,000 posts want to share their average daily posts, and logged-in time? (kphoger?)

You can see this info for anyone if you click on their profile.

My post-per-day average is 5.483 - admittedly high, but below at least a handful of others here.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MCRoads on June 07, 2022, 09:09:10 AM

This forum is my default page on the internet that I check constantly. I have the highest or second highest logged in time (AnthonyJK might be ahead of me), with 701 days. Basically, I make sure to check at least once per hour, and often much more often than that, when I'm home. It considers you logged in continuously as long as you don't have a 15-minute gap. It also helps that I continue to use the forum when in class (my computer was also for taking notes and sometimes looking up online things that the professor mentioned), and my internship (and my job coming soon) is from home, in addition to not taking long road trips nearly as much as other members here because I don't drive.

That said, my post count per day is 3.660; it was in the 5 range for a while, but it's decreased. It definitely feels like more than that, especially since most of my posts are short (this one is an exception), but I guess I often read without posting.

I joined in August 2013; the forum started in January 2009.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Seems mine is somehow 8.198 posts a day.  Apparently I've been logged for 346 days cumulatively. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.