News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

SR 141 in Georgia

Started by Georgia Guardrail, July 28, 2022, 11:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia Guardrail

It's a very interesting road.  Anyone know the history of why it was turned into a freeway from I 285 to Peachtree Corners?  Were there ever any plans for the Peachtree Industrial Road freeway section to be expanded further (either north or south)? 

I know they are currently modifying the I-285/SR 141 Industrial interchange ramp (I 285 WB to SR 141) to have it's own separate bridge.  But they really should have flyovers and braided ramps because merging is such a pain.  Problem is there's probably not enough room to do so.

Alex

I have a scanned a map showing the freeway under construction in 1969 posted on the AARoads page for SR 141:

That was a quick addition when I converted the old html for SR 141 on southeastroads.com into a Wordpress page for AARoads. Didn't follow it up with any research other than looking through my old maps and seeing that the freeway was much older than I anticipated.

Georgia Guardrail

Was it always a freeway?  I thought it was an access road until the mid-late 1980s. 

Tom958

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on July 29, 2022, 04:09:25 PM
Was it always a freeway?  I thought it was an access road until the mid-late 1980s.

It was built as a new-terrain at-grade four-lane highway, then widened to six lanes, then rebuilt as a freeway. Also, there was originally a rare-for-Georgia pedestrian bridge between I-285 and Tilly Mill Road.

On the larger topic, GA 141 has been reassigned numerous times, migrating all over this general part of the state. Others here will know the history, but not me.

Tom958

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on July 28, 2022, 11:16:21 PM
It's a very interesting road.  Anyone know the history of why it was turned into a freeway from I 285 to Peachtree Corners?  Were there ever any plans for the Peachtree Industrial Road freeway section to be expanded further (either north or south)?

It was really congested.  :clap:  There was some federal demonstration funding available to convert an at-grade arterial to a freeway, and PIB won out over Memorial Drive and Tara Boulevard. With its 250-foot right of way, it was far easier to build than either of the others would've been, which undermined its ability to demonstrate much of anything, but hey.

Converting unnumbered PIB into a freeway was a fantasy of Gwinnett DOT in the nineties, but it's never been formally proposed as a SPLOST project or anything.

Quote from: Georgia GuardrailI know they are currently modifying the I-285/SR 141 Industrial interchange ramp (I 285 WB to SR 141) to have it's own separate bridge.  But they really should have flyovers and braided ramps because merging is such a pain.  Problem is there's probably not enough room to do so.

The reason for the current work is to make room for braiding the 285 offramp to North Peachtree et al and the onramp from 141  to 285. It'll shorten the weaving length from Buford Highway, which IMO is too short already, and complicate the signage, but I guess there'll still be some net gain once the ramp braid is done.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.