News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Worst control city on an interstate in your state

Started by SkyPesos, August 05, 2022, 06:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Thought of this from the discussion from the "What state posts the worst control cities? The best?" control cities thread. Even in the states that consistently post really good control cities overall, there's most likely one or two that have a special place in hell. Which are those for your state?

In Ohio. "Thru Traffic" on the turnpike is by far the worst, as it's as helpful as not having a control city at all. But that's maintained by the OTA and not ODOT. For an ODOT interstate, the nomination goes to "Barberton" on I-76 WB. It's way too close and pretty much a suburb of Akron, and it's also not far from Lodi, the western terminus of I-76 and its junction with I-71. I would rather sign "Columbus" as most intercity traffic on I-76 WB west of Akron continue on I-71 SB, but Lodi works fine as a city on I-76 and a junction point. Both are much better options than Barberton, still.

NWI_Irish96

Using Ohio  for the EB toll Road instead of South Bend and then Toledo is the worst abuse in Indiana.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

"Other Desert Cities"  in California because it isn't "other Desert Cities"  like it should be anymore.

ran4sh

In Georgia the worst posting of a control city is Florence SC instead of just Florence.

The worst selection of control city is Valdosta but that's just my opinion. (keeping in mind that Florence is selected by SC, GA merely posts it.) If your opinion is that a control city must be along the route (and Idk why roadgeeks would believe that, they should know better) then Valdosta makes sense. But my preference is to post more prominent cities, such as Albany GA and Jacksonville FL even though those cities are not along I-75.

And furthermore, I think all secondary control cities should be removed, nationwide. In Georgia this would mean, use only one control city at a time along I-285, don't use Columbus for I-85 from Atlanta, don't use Brunswick for I-95 from Savannah, and for I-20 at the Downtown Connector (I-75/85), EB should use Greenville for NB and Macon for SB, WB should use Chattanooga for NB and Montgomery for SB.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Scott5114

Oklahoma doesn't have any bad control cities. The only in-state ones are Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and Lawton (which were the top three cities in the state in the 20th century), and then we use whatever the surrounding states want us to, which are all sensible choices (Wichita, Joplin, Fort Smith, Dallas, Amarillo).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

I guess since the completion of I-275 never happened and now never will Flint being the control city is probably the worst. But it's not a horrible choice since you can still get to Flint via I-96 and US-23 with signs letting you know that.

TheHighwayMan3561

My biggest head-bangers in MN:

"Forest Lake" at the interchanges on I-35W/35E on the far north side of the metro. Just put Duluth. Come on.

"Bloomington" on US 169 south of the Minnesota River, a city which 169 runs along the border with and goes nowhere near what most locals associate with Bloomington, nor is it carried over as a control city onto I-494 eastbound anyway
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

thspfc

Maybe Tomah as the primary control for I-90 west at the 90/94 split. You're already in Tomah at that point, and certain parts of the town are more accessible via I-94. It would be better to use La Crosse and then Rochester, or just La Crosse.

Cerlin

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 05, 2022, 06:34:05 PM
Oklahoma doesn't have any bad control cities. The only in-state ones are Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and Lawton (which were the top three cities in the state in the 20th century), and then we use whatever the surrounding states want us to, which are all sensible choices (Wichita, Joplin, Fort Smith, Dallas, Amarillo).
I think Joplin might be my only gripe–especially given St. Louis and Springfield are along the route and have much larger spheres of influence. But, I can't expect them to be perfect!
Hypocritical Leftist who loves driving/highways and all modes of transportation.

webny99

gonealookin

I guess this sign assembly has Nevada's "worst".  (Some arrows covered until I-580 construction is completed.)

https://goo.gl/maps/E1GqWJAf1do9GBQB8

In the other thread I heard the dislike for Elko.  Salt Lake City is more than 500 miles distant on I-80 from this point.  I prefer Elko here, with hotels, restaurants and even a Walmart, but I understand the argument.

Susanville, not on an Interstate but on US 395 North, is a dinky place 85 miles away from this point, but there's no other viable choice for the northbound US 395 signage.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on August 05, 2022, 07:16:48 PM
Maybe Tomah as the primary control for I-90 west at the 90/94 split. You're already in Tomah at that point, and certain parts of the town are more accessible via I-94. It would be better to use La Crosse and then Rochester, or just La Crosse.

I think its the use of Fond du Lac on I-41 NB in the Milwaukee area.  Should be Appleton.

jp the roadgeek

CT:

Plainfield (from I-95 NB) and Providence (from CT 2) on I-395.  Should be Norwich/Worcester on I-95 and Worcester on CT 2.  Plainfield is insignificant, and I-395 never comes within 30 miles of Providence.  At least CTDOT is correcting CT 2 with resigning.

Providence on I-384.  Perhaps only a reminder of what could have been, but it's not even the best route to Providence (I-84/CT 74/US 44/CT-RI 101/US 6 is better).

Hartford as a control on I-91 North at the Charter Oak Bridge WHEN YOU'VE ALREADY CROSSED THE CITY LINE

Any mention where a bridge or highway is a control (Charter Oak Br, Wilbur Cross Pkwy). 

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Brandon

Where do I start in Illinois?  Do I start with "Interstate 57"  on I-24, "Suburbs"  for I-355, or Sterling-Rock Falls for I-88 east from I-80?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 05, 2022, 08:35:18 PM
Quote from: thspfc on August 05, 2022, 07:16:48 PM

I think its the use of Fond du Lac on I-41 NB in the Milwaukee area.  Should be Appleton.
The Fox Valley is tough for control cities. For I-41 NB you can make a case for FDL, Oshkosh, and Appleton, and Green Bay from US-151 northward. I think there's compelling arguments for all of them. In fact, I-41 NB at US-151 is signed for Oshkosh, Appleton, and Green Bay.

JayhawkCO

Clearly Colorado's is Thornton being signed for I-25 North from I-70 West.

CoreySamson

For Texas it's either gotta be Cleveland on I-69 or Gainesville on I-35. Hopefully Cleveland's inclusion as a control city is temporary (maybe once I-69 is more complete it could be changed to Lufkin or Shreveport).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Brandon

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 05, 2022, 10:26:45 PM

Limon.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Great Lakes Roads

Colorado's worst control city signed on an interstate would be any interstate that is signing for LIMON!

US 89

Quote from: Brandon on August 05, 2022, 10:34:28 PM

Limon.

Limon is a major highway junction. Thornton is a random suburb.

Roadgeekteen

I don't like using Taunton or Marlborough on I-495. I would prefer using just Cape Cod, Worcester, Lowell, and Portsmouth.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

Quote from: US 89 on August 06, 2022, 12:13:54 AM

Limon.

Clearly people didn't understand my tongueincheekedness. But I honestly think Thornton is way worse than Limon. Westminster on I-270 is pretty bad too. Should be Boulder.

MATraveler128

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 06, 2022, 12:58:28 AM
I don't like using Taunton or Marlborough on I-495. I would prefer using just Cape Cod, Worcester, Lowell, and Portsmouth.

There's also I-95 using just Attleboro for southbound on MA 2. They also use Canton and Peabody. I can understand Canton being at the southern terminus of I-93 and Peabody at the 95/128 split, but with Attleboro, you're already so close to Providence that it would be easier to just use that since it's a more significant and larger city.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

tdindy88

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 06, 2022, 08:30:58 AM
Quote from: US 89 on August 06, 2022, 12:13:54 AM

Limon.

Clearly people didn't understand my tongueincheekedness. But I honestly think Thornton is way worse than Limon. Westminster on I-270 is pretty bad too. Should be Boulder.

At least Thornton is signed with Fort Collins (in my trip to Denver last year meant anything) and Westminster is signed with Boulder. And they're both suburbs with over 100,000 people. Which is usually a lot. Limon is posted EVERYWHERE. It's my theory that the reason people despise Limon so much is way too much overexposure on the Denver area interstates.

bing101

Quote from: webny99 on August 05, 2022, 08:16:28 PM
Thru Traffic on I-290  :sombrero:
This is like California on I-605 in the LA area it has Thru Traffic as a control city instead of Seal Beach or Duarte.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_605

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.