News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Melville Ferry to Close

Started by US71, July 28, 2010, 12:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

http://www.katc.com/news/melville-ferry-to-close-for-good/

The Melville Ferry will be permanently closed on October 9th, 2010 due to budget constraints. Operations will continue as normal until the date of closure.  The nearest available state route crossings of the Atchafalaya River is the US-190 bridge at Krotz Springs.

This is along LA 10 at the Atchafalaya River. It's also part of US 71's original alignment.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

brownpelican

What will happen with the routing of La. 10?

froggie

Probably just left as-is with no connection across.

eXfaktor

Quote from: froggie on July 28, 2010, 01:41:24 PM

Which is extremely screwed up, IMO, but it wouldn't be out of character for the treament of LA 10 in the area. My mother is from Morganza and we lived there back in '99. Just this Monday when we went up there, LA 10 is still unsigned for it's concurrency with LA 1 from Morganza to New Roads, and only recently have they replaced the signs in New Roads.

However they could route it down LA 77 over to LA 81 and then US 190 to get it across the Atchafalaya...

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: eXfaktor on July 28, 2010, 03:27:49 PM
Quote from: froggie on July 28, 2010, 01:41:24 PM

Which is extremely screwed up, IMO, but it wouldn't be out of character for the treament of LA 10 in the area. My mother is from Morganza and we lived there back in '99. Just this Monday when we went up there, LA 10 is still unsigned for it's concurrency with LA 1 from Morganza to New Roads, and only recently have they replaced the signs in New Roads.

However they could route it down LA 77 over to LA 81 and then US 190 to get it across the Atchafalaya...

I don't see any rerouting being done till after the Audubon bridge is open to traffic.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Anthony_JK

They could just as well re-route it along LA 105 north of Melville to meet up with LA 1 at Simmesport, then use LA 1 from there to New Roads.

The segment east of the Atchafalaya to LA 77 is mostly dirt road, anyway...it can easily be reverted back to Pointe Coupee Parish.

Anthony

US71

Quote from: brownpelican on July 28, 2010, 12:25:00 PM
What will happen with the routing of La. 10?

LADOTD says no changes to LA 10 "for now", though they will post signs to route traffic around the "disconnect".
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.