News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Former US 101 on Alta Street in Gonzales

Started by Max Rockatansky, September 14, 2022, 01:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Gonzales is a city located in Salinas Valley of Monterey County, California.  Modern US Route 101 is aligned around Gonzales via a freeway bypass which swings east of downtown.  The original alignment of US Route 101 in Gozales was aligned directly through the community on Alta Street.  Above the cover photo of this blog is a view on former US Route 101 in Gonzales on Alta Street.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/08/former-us-route-101-on-alta-street-in.html?m=1

FredAkbar

I've driven that stretch of 101 dozens of times and I never even noticed how smoothly and cleanly the freeway deviates from its otherwise straight path to form the bypass. Looking at the map now, in hindsight it seems obvious. As opposed to, say, the Willits Bypass where it's much less obvious that the bypass was added later.

Quillz

Quote from: FredAkbar on September 15, 2022, 12:40:31 AM
I've driven that stretch of 101 dozens of times and I never even noticed how smoothly and cleanly the freeway deviates from its otherwise straight path to form the bypass. Looking at the map now, in hindsight it seems obvious. As opposed to, say, the Willits Bypass where it's much less obvious that the bypass was added later.
The giveaway is when the off-ramps go under the highway then realign onto a road that parallels the freeway. Such as Abbott Street in Salinas. Or Spring Street in Paso Robles. At least in almost all the instances I can think of.

TheStranger

Quote from: Quillz on September 20, 2022, 05:08:06 PM
Quote from: FredAkbar on September 15, 2022, 12:40:31 AM
The giveaway is when the off-ramps go under the highway then realign onto a road that parallels the freeway. Such as Abbott Street in Salinas. Or Spring Street in Paso Robles. At least in almost all the instances I can think of.

Several of the old US 99 alignments in the Central Valley were bypassed by the modern 99 freeway this way:

Turlock (south end)
Atwater
Merced
Herndon/Highway City
Fresno (Golden State Boulevard north segment)
Tulare
Chris Sampang

Bickendan

Alta St is an active alingment of US 101B, though it's only incidentally signed as such on the supplemental bottom panel of the approaching exit signs from mainline 101 itself.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.