News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Time zones

Started by Poiponen13, October 25, 2022, 02:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

I actually operate on Standard Time through most of the year when Daylight Saving Time is official.

There was a time maybe 20 years ago when I was actually operating on Central Standard Time year-round, despite being officially in the Eastern Time Zone. That was because of health problems that disrupted sleep. But this is an area that naturally should be on Central Time.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on October 28, 2022, 11:39:56 AM
I actually operate on Standard Time through most of the year when Daylight Saving Time is official.

There was a time maybe 20 years ago when I was actually operating on Central Standard Time year-round, despite being officially in the Eastern Time Zone. That was because of health problems that disrupted sleep. But this is an area that naturally should be on Central Time.

Meanwhile, I realistically operate on Eastern Standard Time for 34 weeks every year, despite living in the Central Time Zone all year long.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 11:44:39 AM

Meanwhile, I realistically operate on Eastern Standard Time for 34 weeks every year, despite living in the Central Time Zone all year long.

I operated on Standard time for the entire first 22½ years of my life.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JoePCool14

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 28, 2022, 11:45:57 AM

I guess if we're going there, I support DST.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

JayhawkCO

Never left the state?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 28, 2022, 12:49:14 PM

Never left the state?

Never lived out of the state. Never was out of the state during time changes.

kphoger

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 28, 2022, 02:12:49 PM

I was once in Mexico when the US switched to DST, but returned to the US before Mexico switched.

This means we didn't change our watches on the drive south, but then, a week later, we did change our watches on the drive north.  That confused some people.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 02:30:46 PM

I was once in Mexico when the US switched to DST, but returned to the US before Mexico switched.

This means we didn't change our watches on the drive south, but then, a week later, we did change our watches on the drive north.  That confused some people.

So in 2000 I had a friend who was late to work on a Wednesday because of the time change. He was in Indy for the Final Four on a weekend where the time changed at his home in Chicago but didn't change in Indy. He went straight from his hotel in Indy to work Tuesday morning, but by that time had forgotten that time had changed and didn't change his clocks at home Tuesday evening.

JayhawkCO

Never left the state?

Just find it odd, I guess, that you never went to Chicago in the summer (or any other state other than Arizona for that matter).

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 28, 2022, 03:27:15 PM

Never left the state?

Just find it odd, I guess, that you never went to Chicago in the summer (or any other state other than Arizona for that matter).

I should clarify, I never went out of state while the time was changing. Went to Chicago in the summer plenty, but they were on the same time as us in the summer.

kphoger

Yep.  Chicago is on Eastern Standard Time during the summer months.   :nod:
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 28, 2022, 03:32:13 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 28, 2022, 03:27:15 PM

Never left the state?

I should clarify, I never went out of state while the time was changing. Went to Chicago in the summer plenty, but they were on the same time as us in the summer.

So then you didn't operate only on standard time.  ;-)

kphoger

Sure he did.  He operated on Eastern Standard Time.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 07:34:58 PM

Or Mountain Super Daylight Time.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 28, 2022, 07:37:36 PM

I get what you're saying. I went places where DST was in effect at the time, but I never had to experience a spring forward/fall back time change. It wasn't really any different than traveling through time zones at times when DST wasn't in effect.

Bruce

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 28, 2022, 01:55:56 AM
Here was my proposal.  Wasn't in the other threads with links here, but I'm sure it was posted somewhere.  Borders are based on TV markets.

The Pacific Northwest makes zero sense on this map. Seattle and Spokane need to be in the same time zone for practical purposes, and the West Coast should be on one time zone for ease of commerce. Driving north/south and having to change clocks is ridiculous.

kkt

Quote from: mgk920 on October 25, 2022, 11:45:29 AM
Just go to Worldwide UTC/zulu and adjust your own schedules acccordingly.

Mike

Wouldn't really address the problem.  Many people would hate getting up at midnight, and disregard civil time, and we'd be back with the mass confusion we had before time zones were created.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 28, 2022, 07:52:10 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 28, 2022, 07:37:36 PM

I get what you're saying. I went places where DST was in effect at the time, but I never had to experience a spring forward/fall back time change. It wasn't really any different than traveling through time zones at times when DST wasn't in effect.

I understood what you meant after your clarification. I was just being a dick.  :)

Scott5114

I tend to operate on...whatever time zone it is where it's midnight when it's 6am in Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Bruce on October 28, 2022, 07:55:42 PM
Here was my proposal.  Wasn't in the other threads with links here, but I'm sure it was posted somewhere.  Borders are based on TV markets.

The Pacific Northwest makes zero sense on this map. Seattle and Spokane need to be in the same time zone for practical purposes, and the West Coast should be on one time zone for ease of commerce. Driving north/south and having to change clocks is ridiculous.

I-65 has entered the chat.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Road Hog

I trust local people and local authorities to decide their proper time within the rules. As long as they are contiguous to a time zone boundary, leave it to them to decide. Of course we don't want a crazy-quilt hodgepodge of time zones like existed before across the map.

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 28, 2022, 11:17:16 PM

I tend to operate on...whatever time zone it is where it's midnight when it's 6am in Oklahoma.
Working night shift doesn't make you a European

epzik8

Garrett County would be in a different time zone than the rest of Maryland. It's the state's how-am-I-still-in-Maryland county anyhow.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Scott5114

Quote from: kalvado on October 30, 2022, 07:02:23 AM
Working night shift doesn't make you a European

C'est ce que tu penses!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

skluth

All I can think of while reading this discussion is this

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.