News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New ownership for Twitter

Started by hbelkins, October 28, 2022, 04:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

Quote from: bing101 on October 30, 2022, 01:01:04 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on October 30, 2022, 12:48:58 PM
Unfortunately, the past few years have result in the "social media" being less "social", with some of my friends who used to be active going "radio silent" meaning their account is active, but they aren't posting or even visiting the site. A few months ago, I deleted out my Twitter and Facebook accounts. Facebook was a bit more painful since it was a way to keep up with my California friends, but again, too many have gone radio silent.
Check Tik Tok, Instagram and Discord to see if your former friends in California went there.

Not really interested in joining a new social network. Instagram is associated with Facebook, so that got deleted also.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Rothman

Quote from: ZLoth on October 30, 2022, 04:35:24 PM
Quote from: bing101 on October 30, 2022, 01:01:04 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on October 30, 2022, 12:48:58 PM
Unfortunately, the past few years have result in the "social media" being less "social", with some of my friends who used to be active going "radio silent" meaning their account is active, but they aren't posting or even visiting the site. A few months ago, I deleted out my Twitter and Facebook accounts. Facebook was a bit more painful since it was a way to keep up with my California friends, but again, too many have gone radio silent.
Check Tik Tok, Instagram and Discord to see if your former friends in California went there.

Not really interested in joining a new social network. Instagram is associated with Facebook, so that got deleted also.
I've found that if you have a Facebook account you cannot have a separate Instagram account.  You have to log in with Facebook.

Yuk.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Scott5114

Quote from: Brandon on October 30, 2022, 05:28:20 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 28, 2022, 04:00:25 PM
Thoughts on the change in ownership?

Yes.  It's for the better.

I would have to agree. Elon is more likely to run the thing straight into the ground, which is a better outcome for humanity than if it were a going concern.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 29, 2022, 07:12:27 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 29, 2022, 07:05:05 PM
Quote from: Bruce on October 29, 2022, 03:45:20 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 29, 2022, 03:18:25 PM
I'm finding this whole "if so-and-so's account is reinstated, I'm leaving" drama to be humorous and pointless. If you don't like what some person or entity says, then you have two choices. You can ignore/block or you can engage.  Why want to silence them totally just because you disagree with them or don't like what they say? I actually spend most of my time on Twitter checking out what the other side is saying. Sometimes I'll even counter.

Because even if you block those accounts, news media will pick up every last one of their tweets and amplify them out to the rest of the world. Dangerous messages and all.

Maintaining our democracy is more important than some rich guy's feelings getting hurt.

"Maintaining our democracy" means that all viewpoints and ideas -- no matter what one might think of them -- are aired and weighed on their merits. The way you counter a "dangerous message" is to respond to it with a non-dangerous message that can convince people not to listen to the message you think is dangerous.

So an 82-year-old man just got a cracked skull from a guy who had consumed an overwhelming amount of blatantly false conspiracy theories on social media. Simply "countering" those dangerous messages isn't getting through to people.

One of our society's biggest problems is that people consider demonstrably false information to simply be a "viewpoint" or "idea."

Um, according to the local news and reporters, this guy who cracked his skull was suffering from addiction and was quite paranoid.  He also lived at a house in Berkeley.  The police were let in at 2 am by a third party (neither him nor the house owner), and apparently most of the men inside were in their underwear.  The window that was broken was broken from the inside with glass on the patio.  I sincerely doubt social media made him do what he did.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Brandon

Quote from: Rothman on October 29, 2022, 09:14:37 PM

Quote from: texaskdog on October 29, 2022, 07:58:15 PM
I'm finding this whole "if so-and-so's account is reinstated, I'm leaving" drama to be humorous and pointless. If you don't like what some person or entity says, then you have two choices. You can ignore/block or you can engage.  Why want to silence them totally just because you disagree with them or don't like what they say? I actually spend most of my time on Twitter checking out what the other side is saying. Sometimes I'll even counter.

Because even if you block those accounts, news media will pick up every last one of their tweets and amplify them out to the rest of the world. Dangerous messages and all.

Maintaining our democracy is more important than some rich guy's feelings getting hurt.

"Maintaining our democracy" means that all viewpoints and ideas -- no matter what one might think of them -- are aired and weighed on their merits. The way you counter a "dangerous message" is to respond to it with a non-dangerous message that can convince people not to listen to the message you think is dangerous.

So an 82-year-old man just got a cracked skull from a guy who had consumed an overwhelming amount of blatantly false conspiracy theories on social media. Simply "countering" those dangerous messages isn't getting through to people.

One of our society's biggest problems is that people consider demonstrably false information to simply be a "viewpoint" or "idea."

One of society's biggest problems is to silence people who don't agree with you.  Most of what comes from "fact checkers" is opinion or nonsense.

That certainly is an unfounded mantra put forward usually by conservatives that refuse to judge articles by the citations they provide.

I stopped taking the so-called fact-checkers seriously when they attempt to fact-check satire.  It's called satire for a reason.

Brandon

Quote from: seicer on October 30, 2022, 12:43:53 PM
And already, Elon is pushing conspiracy theories about Nancy Pelosi's husband.

Well, what do you call two men in their underwear in a room at 2 am?  In the 911 call, Paul Pelosi calls the attacker his "friend".  It's certainly odd.

texaskdog

Quote from: Brandon on October 30, 2022, 05:36:59 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 29, 2022, 09:14:37 PM

Quote from: texaskdog on October 29, 2022, 07:58:15 PM

One of society's biggest problems is to silence people who don't agree with you.  Most of what comes from "fact checkers" is opinion or nonsense.

That certainly is an unfounded mantra put forward usually by conservatives that refuse to judge articles by the citations they provide.

I stopped taking the so-called fact-checkers seriously when they attempt to fact-check satire.  It's called satire for a reason.

Oh yeah, I've had lot of those!!!! 

texaskdog

Rothman

I would say that the nonsense has hit an all time high here, but Alanland has that spot locked up.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.