News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rio Rancho, NM

Started by corco, March 05, 2009, 07:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

I was cruising around Google Maps today and noticed this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=rio+rancho+nm&sll=35.273933,-106.752434&sspn=0.128372,0.30899&ie=UTF8&ll=35.256553,-106.76342&spn=0.1284,0.30899&z=12&iwloc=addr

The weird thing is those all look like real roads all planned out and developed, but with very little development ALONG the roads. Does anybody know what the deal behind this is or why this dense network of roads that nobody lives on exists?

mightyace

Quote from: corco on March 05, 2009, 07:09:12 PM
The weird thing is those all look like real roads all planned out and developed, but with very little development ALONG the roads. Does anybody know what the deal behind this is or why this dense network of roads that nobody lives on exists?

To confuse the aliens when they come. :bread:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

yanksfan6129

I have an idea as to why. The towns population grew AMAZING QUICKLY since 2000. Probably the empty streets are because they had yet to build the houses on them when the photo was taken. They are there now.

yanksfan6129

I just took a look, you'll notice that those pics of Rio Rancho were all taken prior to 2005, so yeah, its simply that the houses hadn't been built when the pictures were taken, but the developers planned out the roads first. Makes sense to me (but do keep in mind I'm just hypothesizing based on the fact that in 2000 Rio Rancho had a population of 50,000 and now its up to about 75,000, and was 32,000 in 1990)

mightyace

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on March 05, 2009, 07:49:36 PM
I just took a look, you'll notice that those pics of Rio Rancho were all taken prior to 2005, so yeah, its simply that the houses hadn't been built when the pictures were taken, but the developers planned out the roads first. Makes sense to me (but do keep in mind I'm just hypothesizing based on the fact that in 2000 Rio Rancho had a population of 50,000 and now its up to about 75,000, and was 32,000 in 1990)

And if you zoom in on the image, you'll see that there are some houses on the dirt roads.

yanksfan6129

Quote from: mightyace on March 05, 2009, 07:51:17 PM
Quote from: yanksfan6129 on March 05, 2009, 07:49:36 PM

And if you zoom in on the image, you'll see that there are some houses on the dirt roads.

Yeah, but they are few and far-between, I noticed the greatest concentration along Northern Blvd NW

Alex

When Paseo del Volcan and the Northwest Loop Road are completed, expect a lot of that to become in-fill development. Additionally a lot of those empty dirt roads are simply ripped out when new more traditional cookie-cutter subdivisions are added. Very recently and still ongoing is the current city center project for Rio Rancho. This project concentrates the city government, the entertainment arena, and "downtown" shopping district in an area well west of New Mexico 528. Paseo del Volcan will provide a multilane arterial just west of it, connecting it with U.S. 550 to the north and western reaches of Albuquerque to the south.

I conducted research for a wall map update on both Albuquerque and Rio Rancho last summer. During it I talked to a guy involved with the Rio Rancho economic development about some of the happenings and growth there. Used that with Andy's photos, gis data, and my research calls to develop the focus page we have on rockymountainroads.

Chris

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on March 06, 2009, 05:08:57 AM
A similar thing is near Horizon City in Texas. (not far from El Paso)

Man that is extensive.

I've never seen that kind of thing before this thread, but this kind of "planning" only seams practical in a desert environment with lots of space.

The High Plains Traveler

Plenty of space, yes, but how about water? Or jobs for those people?

Strangely, Rio Rancho had its beginnings in the 1960s when developers flew people in from the east for a community that was originally planned as a retirement community.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

scottmac112

Yup, then Intel came and screwed it all up! (Just kidding).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.