News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 28, 2019, 08:14:02 PM
I just drove by there today, the approach from the west side of the bridge, near Martinsville High School is coming up and there's plenty of earth moved around the site, but no bridge supports elsewhere nor bridge deck made. So unless you looked really closely you can't see a bridge yet. The rest of Section 5 though is a sight to see in terms of interstate, traffic looks to be finally going interstate speed limits along that highway (they felt slow the last time I went through there, maybe it was just me though.)

I was happy to see the contact up for the Martinsville segment, I was looking at the signage plans for that stretch of road. Some observations:

-Three new exit numbers: Exit 137-SR 39, Exit 138-Ohio St/Mahalasville Rd, and Exit 140 SR 44/252

-For Exit 137, there's no mention of SR 39 going to SR 67 like there is today

-For Exit 140, the exit is signed only with the highway shields and Reuben Drive and Hospital Drive. There is no mention of 252 going to Morgantown and 44 going to Franklin like there is today. Even an auxiliary sign would be nice.

-Control cities are clearly Indianapolis and Evansville, also there is no mention of SR 37 at all

-Also there are distance signs both north and south of Martinsville. Distances to Liberty Church Road, Bloomington and Evansville going south, distances to Henderson Ford Road and Indianapolis going north.

-The signage style is similar to that of Section 5, which to me is the best signed part of the entire interstate extension. I hope they eventually add some mileage signs on the rest of the highway south to Evansville plus add the Indianapolis control city for northbound I-69 signs. I'm probably a little obsessive over this point but I really wish the rest of I-69 were up to snuff like Section 5 is. Except for those godawful blue mile markers.
One design aspect I noticed looking at the plans is that this time the truck lanes will be positioned to the right, as per usual. On Section 5, there is a small section where the grade steepens, and all INDOT did was provide a left "passing lane" as opposed to the usual right "truck lane" as they are here.

DJStephens

Quote from: ITB on August 29, 2019, 02:26:13 AM
Quote from: abqtraveler on August 29, 2019, 12:51:11 AM
Looking at the project list above, I noticed that the I-69/I-465 interchange is not yet listed.  I'm guessing that they are either listing that interchange as an I-465 project along with other future contract lettings to rebuild and widen the southern leg of I-465, or the interchange project is out beyond 18 months?

It appears the contract for I-69/I-465 interchange project, along with the added travel lanes and improvements to I-465 between Mann Road and East Street, will be let early in 2021. That's just a guess. But as INDOT has been tasked with getting Section 6 completed by 2024/25, they have to get moving on the I-69/I-465 project sooner rather than later, as it will be a complex build, undoubtedly, which may take upwards of 30 to 36 months to reach substantial completion. That's another guess-estimate on my part, and I'm no expert, so bear that in mind.

Design of the I-69/I-465 Interchange

How deep is that former Quarry?  Would try and find a way to shift that interchange E, both to avoid the residential neighborhood, and to make it more efficient in terms of ramp curvature.   

tolbs17

^^^^

I would love to see that type of interchange in Greenville, NC that connects from a main highway to a main road... (I'm just saying this because i find it interesting and awesome)

ozarkman417

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 01, 2019, 12:52:34 PM
^^^^

I would love to see that type of interchange in Greenville, NC that connects from a main highway to a main road... (I'm just saying this because i find it interesting and awesome)
We don't have one in Springfield and I can't think of a place to put one. Our freeway system is quite simplistic.

SM-G965U

tolbs17

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 01, 2019, 03:37:17 PM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 01, 2019, 12:52:34 PM
^^^^

We don't have one in Springfield and I can't think of a place to put one. Our freeway system is quite simplistic.

SM-G965U
Check out https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=25371.0 for more of my proposals.

ITB

Quote from: DJStephens on September 01, 2019, 11:51:45 AM
Quote from: ITB on August 29, 2019, 02:26:13 AM
Quote from: abqtraveler on August 29, 2019, 12:51:11 AM
Looking at the project list above, I noticed that the I-69/I-465 interchange is not yet listed.  I'm guessing that they are either listing that interchange as an I-465 project along with other future contract lettings to rebuild and widen the southern leg of I-465, or the interchange project is out beyond 18 months?

It appears the contract for I-69/I-465 interchange project, along with the added travel lanes and improvements to I-465 between Mann Road and East Street, will be let early in 2021. That's just a guess. But as INDOT has been tasked with getting Section 6 completed by 2024/25, they have to get moving on the I-69/I-465 project sooner rather than later, as it will be a complex build, undoubtedly, which may take upwards of 30 to 36 months to reach substantial completion. That's another guess-estimate on my part, and I'm no expert, so bear that in mind.

Design of the I-69/I-465 Interchange

How deep is that former Quarry?  Would try and find a way to shift that interchange E, both to avoid the residential neighborhood, and to make it more efficient in terms of ramp curvature.

Initial plans had I-69 going straight over the quarry, but the design was considered too costly and complex. The interchange design pictured above is final. Construction will commence in 2021.

ITB

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 01, 2019, 10:41:19 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on September 01, 2019, 10:02:04 AM
I just noticed something else on the signage plans. It appears that there is a 65 mile per hour speed limit through Martinsville and that speed limits remains north of Martinsville. I wonder if it will be 65 all the way to Indy (or most of the way, before it drops to you know 55?)
I would expect more like 55 mph through Martinsville if the absurdly low 55 mph through Bloomington is any indication.

IMO, I'm fine with 65 mph through Martinsville (and quite frankly they should bump it to 65 mph through Bloomington) though it should bump back to 70 mph north of there. Around Smith Valley is where it could drop to 65 mph and down to 55 mph once it reaches I-465 (though arguably I-465 could be 60 - 65 mph as well, but that's a different topic)

I-65 doesn't drop to 65 mph until it reaches Greenwood, around the same area.

The low 55 mph through Bloomington is a speed trap. Just north of the city near the Kinser Pike overpass, police cruisers are often positioned to nail folks who are heading south on I-69 but don't realize the speed limit has just dropped from 70 mph to 55. At the very least, I-69 should be 60 mph through the Bloomington area.

abqtraveler

Quote from: ITB on September 01, 2019, 07:26:30 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on September 01, 2019, 10:41:19 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on September 01, 2019, 10:02:04 AM
I just noticed something else on the signage plans. It appears that there is a 65 mile per hour speed limit through Martinsville and that speed limits remains north of Martinsville. I wonder if it will be 65 all the way to Indy (or most of the way, before it drops to you know 55?)
I would expect more like 55 mph through Martinsville if the absurdly low 55 mph through Bloomington is any indication.

IMO, I'm fine with 65 mph through Martinsville (and quite frankly they should bump it to 65 mph through Bloomington) though it should bump back to 70 mph north of there. Around Smith Valley is where it could drop to 65 mph and down to 55 mph once it reaches I-465 (though arguably I-465 could be 60 - 65 mph as well, but that's a different topic)

I-65 doesn't drop to 65 mph until it reaches Greenwood, around the same area.

The low 55 mph through Bloomington is a speed trap. Just north of the city near the Kinser Pike overpass, police cruisers are often positioned to nail folks who are heading south on I-69 but don't realize the speed limit has just dropped from 70 mph to 55. At the very least, I-69 should be 60 mph through the Bloomington area.

IMHO, the stretch from Bloomington to I-64 should be 75 mph since traffic is relatively light and the road geometry appears to support the higher posted limit.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

ilpt4u

Quote from: abqtraveler on September 01, 2019, 10:45:22 PM
IMHO, the stretch from Bloomington to I-64 should be 75 mph since traffic is relatively light and the road geometry appears to support the higher posted limit.
I would first settle for things like Northbound Controls and Destination/Mileage signs

There is a thought out there, that once INDOT (with KYTC for the new Ohio River Bridge) and TDOT get their I-69 segments done to get the Corridor completed, Canadian Border-Memphis, traffic will increase on I-69 south of Indy toward Evansville and Western KY, but we shall see

tdindy88

I assume the northbound controls will come when Section 6 is complete. Technically I-69 does not yet travel to Indianapolis so signing it on the signs from Evansville to Bloomington would not be correct. It's like saying I-65 doesn't go to Chicago. SR 37 does however travel to Indianapolis so you see the control city on signs along Section 5 and soon Section 6. And we are using mileage signs on Section 5 and 6 so why not use them on Sections 1 through 4?

A thought on Bloomington. I would admit the the section from Exit 114 to 118 could work for a 55 or a 60 speed limit due to the close spacing between exits. It IS a lot of exits in a relatively short stretch of highway. North of Exit 118 though should at least be 65 to perhaps 70 north of Exit 120. The 55 through that area is criminal.

On one other note, I saw that SR 45 isn't signed along I-69 from Exit 117 to 120. It is at each interchange mentioned but on the mainline itself there are no 45 shields. I had to double check that INDOT hadn't decommissioned SR 45 around Bloomington. It would have course be something they would do but to my knowledge they have not done so.

ilpt4u

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 01, 2019, 11:17:41 PM
I assume the northbound controls will come when Section 6 is complete. Technically I-69 does not yet travel to Indianapolis so signing it on the signs from Evansville to Bloomington would not be correct. It's like saying I-65 doesn't go to Chicago.
I-65 will probably never enter/extend to Chicago. It is still the Northbound Control from Indy

Plenty of Interstate examples of the I-route not actually reaching its signed Control. Indy should have been signed Northbound from Evansville from Day 1, should be signed now, and certainly should be signed after IN 37/I-69 reopens after it is shut down for the Martinsville upgrade

ITB

Just came across this.

I-69 Section 6 Construction Staging Chart

This chart, included in INDOT's 2019 Industry Days Presentation (May 9 and May 14), indicates there will be five construction contracts in total for Section 6. One contract – Contract No. 1 – has already been let, while a second – Contract No. 2 (#33493) – is scheduled to be let October 9, 2019. The final three contracts are to be let in the year 2020.

Poring again over INDOT's Eighteen Month Letting List, it appears all Section 6 construction contracts are scheduled for letting. In an earlier post, I pointed out the I-69/I-465 interchange wasn't listed in the Eighteen Month Letting List. This appears to be incorrect. The contract which is to include the I-69/I-465 interchange – Contract No. 5 (#41536) – is scheduled to be let September 2, 2020, not in 2021, as I noted earlier. Because the listing of Contract No. 5 did not include any of the components of the interchange itself, that is, ramps over I-465, etc., I surmised another contract altogether would be let for the interchange and associated roadways. That assumption was wrong. The reason for the missing contract components, as was noted in another post earlier, is most likely due to the design of the interchange still being underway.

Be that as it may, the important fact to take note of is that Contract No. 5 (#41536) is scheduled to be let in 2020. That means all construction contracts for Section 6 will be let by the end of 2020, paving the way for Section 6 to complete by 2025.

On another note, Contract No. 2 (#33493), to be let October 9, 2019, will allow SR 37 in Martinsville to be completely closed for a period of 12 months.

Although I earnestly try to be accurate with my posts, sometimes information that ends up being posted may or may not be altogether correct. Please be cognizant I am not associated with the I-69 project in any way, nor INDOT, any state contractor, or the State of Indiana. If anyone notices a incorrect or inaccurate assertion or statement of fact in any of my posts, I'd very much appreciate it brought to my attention.

Edit: minor correction

silverback1065

a 55 mph speed limit in a city on an interstate is inexcusable.  that why we all go 70  :-D

silverback1065

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 01, 2019, 10:57:11 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on August 28, 2019, 08:14:02 PM
I just drove by there today, the approach from the west side of the bridge, near Martinsville High School is coming up and there's plenty of earth moved around the site, but no bridge supports elsewhere nor bridge deck made. So unless you looked really closely you can't see a bridge yet. The rest of Section 5 though is a sight to see in terms of interstate, traffic looks to be finally going interstate speed limits along that highway (they felt slow the last time I went through there, maybe it was just me though.)

I was happy to see the contact up for the Martinsville segment, I was looking at the signage plans for that stretch of road. Some observations:

-Three new exit numbers: Exit 137-SR 39, Exit 138-Ohio St/Mahalasville Rd, and Exit 140 SR 44/252

-For Exit 137, there's no mention of SR 39 going to SR 67 like there is today

-For Exit 140, the exit is signed only with the highway shields and Reuben Drive and Hospital Drive. There is no mention of 252 going to Morgantown and 44 going to Franklin like there is today. Even an auxiliary sign would be nice.

-Control cities are clearly Indianapolis and Evansville, also there is no mention of SR 37 at all

-Also there are distance signs both north and south of Martinsville. Distances to Liberty Church Road, Bloomington and Evansville going south, distances to Henderson Ford Road and Indianapolis going north.

-The signage style is similar to that of Section 5, which to me is the best signed part of the entire interstate extension. I hope they eventually add some mileage signs on the rest of the highway south to Evansville plus add the Indianapolis control city for northbound I-69 signs. I'm probably a little obsessive over this point but I really wish the rest of I-69 were up to snuff like Section 5 is. Except for those godawful blue mile markers.
One design aspect I noticed looking at the plans is that this time the truck lanes will be positioned to the right, as per usual. On Section 5, there is a small section where the grade steepens, and all INDOT did was provide a left "passing lane" as opposed to the usual right "truck lane" as they are here.

This was added at the last minute by INDOT, a design exception had to be done to accommodate this too as an existing curve has improper sight distance for the left lane due to the proposed jersey barrier.

sprjus4

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 02, 2019, 11:16:33 AM
a 55 mph speed limit in a city on an interstate is inexcusable.  that why we all go 70  :-D
The usual trend on a long-distance 70 mph interstate where it drops to 55 mph then back up to 70 mph seems to be ignoring the fact the speed dropped to begin with. Everybody does 80 mph in the 70 mph zone, everybody does 80 mph in the 55 mph zone, and continues doing 80 mph in the 70 mph zone.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 01, 2019, 11:29:48 PM
I assume the northbound controls will come when Section 6 is complete. Technically I-69 does not yet travel to Indianapolis so signing it on the signs from Evansville to Bloomington would not be correct. It's like saying I-65 doesn't go to Chicago.
I-65 will probably never enter/extend to Chicago. It is still the Northbound Control from Indy

Plenty of Interstate examples of the I-route not actually reaching its signed Control. Indy should have been signed Northbound from Evansville from Day 1, should be signed now, and certainly should be signed after IN 37/I-69 reopens after it is shut down for the Martinsville upgrade
The only problem with that (although I would want mileage showing to Indianapolis and showing it as a control city as well) is that during the initial construction phase of Section 6 the Martinsville bypass will be totally closed, so anyone that was not from the area would be searching for a route to either get back on the highway or to Indy (39 to 67).  I'm wondering if they might post the signs after that bypass is reopened.

SSR_317

Try the 50 MPH on I-65 & I-70 downtown. If you drive that in clear & tree-flowing conditions, YOU are the traffic hazard!

ilpt4u

Quote from: Life in Paradise on September 02, 2019, 12:20:45 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 01, 2019, 11:29:48 PM

The only problem with that (although I would want mileage showing to Indianapolis and showing it as a control city as well) is that during the initial construction phase of Section 6 the Martinsville bypass will be totally closed, so anyone that was not from the area would be searching for a route to either get back on the highway or to Indy (39 to 67).  I'm wondering if they might post the signs after that bypass is reopened.
Understand that bit...

But for I-69 and I-64 traffic around Evansville, Orange Supplemental Signage can be used, directing Indy-bound traffic to continue to use US 41->IN 641->I-70, once IN 37 is shut down/closed, until it reopens as I-69 a year later around Martinsville...BTW that Supplemental Signage should be utilized regardless if Indy is added as the I-69 North Control by then

And it has been a viable Evansville-Indy route since Section 4 was done, and even moreso with Section 5 done

Or just add Bloomington as the Northbound Control and be done with it. Let Indy take over in Bloomington, as it is signed today

silverback1065

Quote from: SSR_317 on September 02, 2019, 12:32:27 PM
Try the 50 MPH on I-65 & I-70 downtown. If you drive that in clear & tree-flowing conditions, YOU are the traffic hazard!

:-D that's the only exception, those curves wont allow 70 mph  :-D

silverback1065

Quote from: ITB on September 02, 2019, 01:19:28 AM

Just came across this.

I-69 Section 6 Construction Staging Chart

This chart, included in INDOT's 2019 Industry Days Presentation (May 9 and May 14), indicates there will be five construction contracts in total for Section 6. One contract – Contract No. 1 – has already been let, while a second – Contract No. 2 (#33493) – is scheduled to be let October 9, 2019. The final three contracts are to be let in the year 2020.

Poring again over INDOT's Eighteen Month Letting List, it appears all Section 6 construction contracts are scheduled for letting. In an earlier post, I pointed out the I-69/I-465 interchange wasn't listed in the Eighteen Month Letting List. This appears to be incorrect. The contract which is to include the I-69/I-465 interchange – Contract No. 5 (#41536) – is scheduled to be let September 2, 2020, not in 2021, as I noted earlier. Because the listing of Contract No. 5 did not include any of the components of the interchange itself, that is, ramps over I-465, etc., I surmised another contract altogether would be let for the interchange and associated roadways. That assumption was wrong. The reason for the missing contract components, as was noted in another post earlier, is most likely due to the design of the interchange still being underway.

Be that as it may, the important fact to take note of is that Contract No. 5 (#33493) is scheduled to be let in 2020. That means all construction contracts for Section 6 will be let by the end of 2020, paving the way for Section 6 to complete by 2025.

On another note, Contract No. 2 (#33493), to be let October 9, 2019, will allow SR 37 in Martinsville to be completely closed for a period of 12 months.

Although I earnestly try to be accurate with my posts, sometimes information that ends up being posted may or may not be altogether correct. Please be cognizant I am not associated with the I-69 project in any way, nor INDOT, any state contractor, or the State of Indiana. If anyone notices a incorrect or inaccurate assertion or statement of fact in any of my posts, I'd very much appreciate it brought to my attention.

how are you getting these DES numbers? I'd like to figure out what SR 37 in fishers DES is so I can look up the plans for that project

Interstate 69 Fan

Anyone know where the sign plans are?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on September 03, 2019, 01:21:50 PM

Probably in an office somewhere in Indiana.

ITB

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 03, 2019, 08:07:13 AM

how are you getting these DES numbers? I'd like to figure out what SR 37 in fishers DES is so I can look up the plans for that project

While I'm not familiar with the DES acronym, I assume you're interested in finding a project's 5-digit contract number. There are two ways to do that:

(1) INDOT Eighteen Month Letting List

https://entapps.indot.in.gov/lettings/default.aspx?view=contractor

The "Select Roads" function works well and will bring up all projects associated with a particular road. Contract numbers for projects are listed in the second column.

(2) INDOT Official Bid Results

https://www.in.gov/dot/div/contracts/letting/index.html

INDOT's Official Bid Results list contract numbers, for instance Contract R-39669-B. If a project's letting date is known, search or browse the bid results to find the project, and its associated contract number.

ITB

Sign specs and drawings for a particular project can be accessed under INDOT's documents webpage. You'll need to know the project's 5-digit contract number to search.

https://erms.indot.in.gov/viewdocs/

You might have to open and view several Plan/Drawing sets before you find what you're looking for. Someone with experience in looking up sign specs could probably be of more assistance.

ITB

Quote from: ITB on September 03, 2019, 01:44:38 PM

Sign specs and drawings for a particular project can be accessed under INDOT's documents webpage. You'll need to know the project's 5-digit contract number to search.

https://erms.indot.in.gov/viewdocs/

You might have to open and view several Plan/Drawing sets before you find what you're looking for. Someone with experience in looking up sign specs could probably be of more assistance.

If you're looking for sign plans for the "Martinsville" segment of Section 6,  I think I found what your looking for. A search of documents for Contract #33493 brings up 28 Plan/Drawing Sets. Among these is Part 1 of 2 1800337 Contract Services. That's the drawings for traffic management, and includes all the signs that will be placed along the route in Martinsville. You'll have to select and download to view those drawings. There are 3 pages for Contract #33493 drawings. Part 1 of 2 1800337 is found on the second page. The page numbers are at the bottom of the results, and are simply enumerated 1, 2 or 3. Click on the number 2.

Here's a short INDOT guide on how to view drawings/contracts:

https://www.in.gov/dot/div/contracts/letting/archive/2019/aug07/view_a_contract.pdf

Edit: added INDOT "view contracts" guide info

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.