News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roads out east with cattle grates

Started by index, May 21, 2023, 08:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

Cattle grates are very common out west, but I've never seen one in person myself living out east. I only know of a single example near the north end of NC 12, to prevent the wild horses from getting into the residential areas:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.3946496,-75.8303949,3a,64.4y,11.81h,77.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLUEy-HutYqE93imFH6Kocw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Anybody have other examples of cattle grates out east?
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

cbeach40

Practically unheard of in Ontario, only ones I can recall on MTO highways are around the Hwy 69-Hwy 637 interchange.
https://goo.gl/maps/ape72EeyercAYUnG7
https://goo.gl/maps/4T7yin8mChtxRLgQA

If I recall correctly this area was around where an elk repopulation effort was made some years ago, so I'll speculate that is the reason for the unusual installation here.
Of course the elk herd ended up migrating to another area entirely, but still won't hurt for moose here at least.  :-D
and waterrrrrrr!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

It's east of the Mississippi River (by 10 miles, at most), so I guess it qualifies as "east."

You can see the grate at the fence line.
Somewhere in the SW corner of Mississippi, from 20 years ago.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Bitmapped

I want to say that I've seen this a couple places in West Virginia (Monroe and Pendleton Counties come to mind) but I don't have photos and the roads they might have been on are too minor to have GMSV imagery.

ElishaGOtis

US-1 Overseas Highway has a set on Big Pine Key, though this is more for the protection of the endangered Key Deer than cattle. It even has a "Cyclists Dismount"  sign, something I don't see often in Florida.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TgUofhPAKWZZEVj56?g_st=ic
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

capt.ron

When they had the Titan missile silos in operation where I live (Central AR), the roads leading to them had cattle guards right off of the highway.

roadman65

Six Flags in Jackson, NJ used them in their drive through safari at one time, I believe.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Duke87

You know, I recall musing about where the furthest east cattle guard in the US might be. I would NOT have figured the answer would be east of the Mississippi at all, let alone that there might be a contender that's right on the Atlantic coast in North Carolina.

Wonders never cease.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Road Hog

Cattle guards work for any hoofed animals (except goats and some sheep), so I might be a little surprised that they aren't more common in certain areas East. They're not recommended for horses either because they could try to cross it and slip a leg between the pipes, which is no bueno.

Katavia

Seen "Wildlife Guards" (or so the warning signs call them) that were recently installed on the two westernmost I-40 interchange ramp sets in NC.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

pderocco

Quote from: Road Hog on May 31, 2023, 01:30:47 AM
Cattle guards work for any hoofed animals (except goats and some sheep), so I might be a little surprised that they aren't more common in certain areas East. They're not recommended for horses either because they could try to cross it and slip a leg between the pipes, which is no bueno.

Here and there (in California) you see painted guards instead of real ones, and at least for cattle they seem to work most of the time. They're not very bright. But they're also not generally eager to "escape" anyway.

index

Quote from: Katavia on June 05, 2023, 09:08:41 AM
Seen "Wildlife Guards" (or so the warning signs call them) that were recently installed on the two westernmost I-40 interchange ramp sets in NC.

It looks like they don't have any fences or any way of stopping animals from actually getting past them. I wonder why.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

sbeaver44

While it is definitely "out east"  I'm not sure if this counts, but within Gettysburg National Military Park, the beginning of Crawford Ave at Wheatfield Road absolutely had them.  I remember them in the mid to late 90s at least.  Street View only goes back to 2017, and they are gone.

HighwayStar

Quote from: pderocco on June 05, 2023, 09:45:54 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on May 31, 2023, 01:30:47 AM

Here and there (in California) you see painted guards instead of real ones, and at least for cattle they seem to work most of the time. They're not very bright. But they're also not generally eager to "escape" anyway.

Painted ones suffer from the "smart cow" problem, in that if one member of the herd correctly deduces its not a real cattle guard and crosses, the stupid cows can follow suit
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.