Regional Boards > Mid-South

I-555 - Official End

(1/23) > >>

edwaleni:
Does anyone know where the current "official" west end of I-555 is?

It appears to be at Dan Ave (AR-91) west of Jonesboro, but I can't locate the "Begin" and "End" signs. I don't see reassurance signs around Jonesboro either.

I know it just got the designation some 18 months ago.

Bobby5280:
The official end of I-555 is actually at the Southwest Drive exit in Jonesboro, where it intersects US-49. It doesn't end where the freeway ends a couple or so miles Northwest.

I'd like to see I-555 extended to Walnut Ridge, if not farther NW.

edwaleni:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 23, 2018, 06:12:39 PM ---The official end of I-555 is actually at the Southwest Drive exit in Jonesboro, where it intersects US-49. It doesn't end where the freeway ends a couple or so miles Northwest.

I'd like to see I-555 extended to Walnut Ridge, if not farther NW.

--- End quote ---

I would surmise that I-555 will get extended to Walnut Ridge when I-57 makes its jaunt south past Pocahontas.

Any improvements in this area are desired because I treat I-555 as an extension of I-22.

It has cut down the time/miles to reach Springfield MO from the southeast.

The Ghostbuster:
I don't see Interstate 555 being extended further up the US 63 corridor any time soon. The amount of development just north of the AR 91 exit may prove to be a barrier to extending the freeway (as Interstate 555, or as just US 63) any further northward.

Bobby5280:
Any extension of I-555 beyond the Dan Ave/AR-91 exit would have to be built on a new terrain alignment. There's too much development along US-63 to make a freeway upgrade feasible. But a new terrain alignment just West of US-63 is do-able. Chances are a couple or so homes would have to be taken, but nothing like bulldozing all the property along one or both sides of US-63. Plus a new alignment could dovetail into the existing bypass around Bono, just beyond all the development at the South end of that bypass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version