News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: kalvado on September 02, 2022, 07:33:10 AM
Quote from: vdeane on September 01, 2022, 10:57:42 PM
The way I outlined is actually less than what's there (six mainline gantries (one each direction at three locations) and one interchange gantry vs. four mainline gantries and two ramp gantries) and IIRC the map of gantry locations was on the Thruway website well before COVID.  It seems they got hung up on their way of doing it and didn't think things through.
There are per gantry costs - running cables to location, setting up those steel arches; per-lane costs; and possibly per-read costs.
For per-lane, looks like there are 2 sets per lane plus something per shoulder; this one looks like a total of 9 sets for 3 lanes:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.715008,-73.8697665,3a,75y,295.45h,95.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOZT9_NekR9ZnvnjZ3-UhZA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
There are 4 sets on an exit (5 in the other direction):
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.952635,-76.9795197,3a,75y,291.06h,92.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sy-unX9bSgphwEJBPOJ7sLA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Given that equipment sets are configures by the person with advanced stages of paranoia, they must be expensive, probably more expensive than gantry steel.
And while we are at it.... Some strange gantry decisions may be explained if per-read costs are high...
Still, I would think it would be cheaper to go with my hypothetical six gantry setup than the actual seven gantry setup, especially since then no read chargers would be incurred for traffic not paying a toll.  Although I think I just realized the problem with my hypothetical and why they didn't use it: the interior exit 25A mainline gantries wouldn't have any way of differentiating exit 25-26 traffic from exit 24-26 traffic.

That said, it IS too bad they didn't pull a MassDOT and just make all the areas where they broke up the VTS into free zones.  A 23-26 free zone would solve all the problems with this.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on September 02, 2022, 03:57:16 PM
Quote from: kalvado on September 02, 2022, 07:33:10 AM
Quote from: vdeane on September 01, 2022, 10:57:42 PM
The way I outlined is actually less than what's there (six mainline gantries (one each direction at three locations) and one interchange gantry vs. four mainline gantries and two ramp gantries) and IIRC the map of gantry locations was on the Thruway website well before COVID.  It seems they got hung up on their way of doing it and didn't think things through.
There are per gantry costs - running cables to location, setting up those steel arches; per-lane costs; and possibly per-read costs.
For per-lane, looks like there are 2 sets per lane plus something per shoulder; this one looks like a total of 9 sets for 3 lanes:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.715008,-73.8697665,3a,75y,295.45h,95.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOZT9_NekR9ZnvnjZ3-UhZA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
There are 4 sets on an exit (5 in the other direction):
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.952635,-76.9795197,3a,75y,291.06h,92.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sy-unX9bSgphwEJBPOJ7sLA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Given that equipment sets are configures by the person with advanced stages of paranoia, they must be expensive, probably more expensive than gantry steel.
And while we are at it.... Some strange gantry decisions may be explained if per-read costs are high...
Still, I would think it would be cheaper to go with my hypothetical six gantry setup than the actual seven gantry setup, especially since then no read chargers would be incurred for traffic not paying a toll.  Although I think I just realized the problem with my hypothetical and why they didn't use it: the interior exit 25A mainline gantries wouldn't have any way of differentiating exit 25-26 traffic from exit 24-26 traffic.

That said, it IS too bad they didn't pull a MassDOT and just make all the areas where they broke up the VTS into free zones.  A 23-26 free zone would solve all the problems with this.
Looks like Masspike is much more integrated into DOT operations and funding, while Thruway is an independent kingdom - and was a source of funding for the state. So I can imagine Masspike being more conductive to giving  up on some revenue for goodwill. I still remember a fight for free I-90 in Buffalo.. 

froggie

Quote from: kalvado on September 02, 2022, 04:18:03 PM
Looks like Masspike is much more integrated into DOT operations and funding, while Thruway is an independent kingdom - and was a source of funding for the state. So I can imagine Masspike being more conductive to giving  up on some revenue for goodwill. I still remember a fight for free I-90 in Buffalo..

Yes, the Mass Pike is part of MassDOT.  It (along with a number of other transportation-related agencies in Massachusetts) was a separate entity prior to 2009, when everything was consolidated under the MassDOT banner.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: froggie on September 02, 2022, 04:35:10 PM
Quote from: kalvado on September 02, 2022, 04:18:03 PM

Yes, the Mass Pike is part of MassDOT.  It (along with a number of other transportation-related agencies in Massachusetts) was a separate entity prior to 2009, when everything was consolidated under the MassDOT banner.

Given how insulated and insular the Mass Turnpike Authority was before the merger, the fact that it happened at all was a relative miracle.

lstone19

Driving one of the Illinois tollways today, I noticed how massively overbuilt the Thruway gantries are compared to what ISTHA did. The most recent, only seen on ramps, have a single cross beam while some older one including the mainline gantries, have two (one for the scanners and one for lights and cameras). From what I can tell, there's no fundamental difference in the amount of overhead equipment, just NYSTA decided to spread it out over a much longer distance (that said, I believe there is a difference in how they work since I believe I read that the virtual tickets work by writing entry information to the transponder on entry. Exiting might also involve clearing that information).

kernals12

The Environmental Impact Statement for Manhattan's Congestion Pricing has been released.

Under the preferred scenario; D, they say that traffic bound for Manhattan's CBD on the Brooklyn Bridge will fall by 87 percent. But they say traffic on FDR drive will increase due to that remaining untolled.

All those trips aren't going to disappear. They merely are going to be shifted to the Hugh Carey Tunnel. Traffic there will rise by 2/3rds

Overall, the number of vehicles entering the cordon area will fall by 20%. The number of people commuting by car will fall by just 10%, since these people are already paying bridge/tunnel tolls and the extortionate cost of parking, an additional congestion charge won't really dissuade them much. The big difference will be from the almost complete disappearance of trucks cutting through Lower Manhattan to use the untolled crossings. Also notable, public transit ridership will negligibly increase, which isn't so surprising since 85% of all people entering the cordon zone already use transit.

I for one am very excited about this. Perhaps all those corporate executives will finally realize they don't need to pay for ridiculously expensive office Manhattan office space and subject their employees to torturous commutes to get to them and flee to the suburbs.

Rothman

Ugh.  I weep for the future.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Newburgh-Beacon Bridge update: they were painting lines on the new westbound roadway this afternoon; the span will have reopened in full by now.

Eastbound will remain two lanes until they can get things shifted back into normal position.

kalvado

Anybody knows if something happened on Thaddeus Lostushko bridge aka Twin bridges on I-87 just north of Albany? There was an oversized truck stopped under end of northbound arch, and some really impressive number of police cars- no ambulance or firefighters. My gut tells me "bridge strike", and I hope it is not. ..
Couldn't really tell what happened as I drove by ..

kalvado

Quote from: kalvado on September 21, 2022, 06:58:16 PM
Anybody knows if something happened on Thaddeus Lostushko bridge aka Twin bridges on I-87 just north of Albany? There was an oversized truck stopped under end of northbound arch, and some really impressive number of police cars- no ambulance or firefighters. My gut tells me "bridge strike", and I hope it is not. ..
Couldn't really tell what happened as I drove by ..
Oh well... At least it isn't I-5 bad. Serious damage to that bridge would hurt big time

crispy93

I visited the Ashokan Reservoir for the first time, I immediately noticed NYCDOT speed limit signs on 28A: . Looks like a 1909 court ruling ordered the city to maintain the roads around the reservoir, had no idea!
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

kalvado

Quote from: crispy93 on September 23, 2022, 09:08:48 AM
I visited the Ashokan Reservoir for the first time, I immediately noticed NYCDOT speed limit signs on 28A. Looks like a 1909 court ruling ordered the city to maintain the roads around the reservoir, had no idea!
It's a bit more involved. Basically, NYC owns a lot of land in Catskills for water use. There are a lot of tensions with locals there, as NYC water supply is built to ancient Rome standards (except for lead pipes) and NYC has a lot of say in land use in that area to keep that water drinkable. There was a video in another thread touching on the topic (with a positive spin on the situation):
Quote from: skluth on September 01, 2022, 12:57:39 PM
Quote from: bing101 on September 01, 2022, 11:02:24 AM
Here is New York City's water supply map.

Wendover has an excellent video explaining NYC's water supply system

MASTERNC

webny99

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 05, 2022, 06:10:07 PM
Looks like projects to convert more of NY 17 to I-86 are moving forward

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-hochul-announces-major-milestone-transformative-conversion-state-route-17-interstate

Great to see this moving forward, for the six-laning even if not for the conversion to I-86. I'm not holding my breath for the Hale Eddy project which would be needed to complete I-86, but this is a big step in the right direction (finally).

bluecountry

Rothman

Quote from: bluecountry on October 08, 2022, 07:22:22 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on October 05, 2022, 06:10:07 PM
Looks like projects to convert more of NY 17 to I-86 are moving forward

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-hochul-announces-major-milestone-transformative-conversion-state-route-17-interstate
So if done, what gaps would remain in I-86?
Hale Eddy to Hancock would be the major gap left.  I'd have to check the rest of the project list.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SidS1045

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 02, 2022, 06:09:40 PMGiven how insulated and insular the Mass Turnpike Authority was before the merger, the fact that it happened at all was a relative miracle.

Maybe less of a miracle than you think.  The Turnpike Authority was responsible for the Big Dig, and given the massive cost overruns and mismanagement on that project, the Turnpike Authority became the "fall guy," and rightfully so.  When the transportation agency consolidation was proposed in the legislature, they were hardly in any position to object.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

jmp367

Quote from: Bumppoman on August 07, 2022, 06:59:35 PM
Anybody in contact with Region 9?  LOTS (though not all...which is somehow both better AND worse) of brand new NY-11 shields near and around the two new roundabouts at I-81 Exit 5.

I think I ended up purchasing a set of those signs from a scrap dealer:

See https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18607.msg2778154#msg2778154

D-Dey65

I still haven't had any responses about this;

Who here has ridden the rail trails of the former New York and Putnam Railroad Main Line, besides one user that I already know has done it (Yes, I'm referring to you, RoadGeekAdam)?

Is the Putnam Trail as fun to ride as it looks?

baugh17

Quote from: jmp367 on October 15, 2022, 09:24:26 PM
Quote from: Bumppoman on August 07, 2022, 06:59:35 PM
Anybody in contact with Region 9?  LOTS (though not all...which is somehow both better AND worse) of brand new NY-11 shields near and around the two new roundabouts at I-81 Exit 5.

I think I ended up purchasing a set of those signs from a scrap dealer:

See https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18607.msg2778154#msg2778154

I bought a NY 11 shield for my home office last winter on eBay as well.  Sticker on the back indicates R9.  I believe the seller was the guy who runs Twin Green Traffic Signal out of Columbia County.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 21, 2022, 01:34:58 AM
I still haven't had any responses about this;

Who here has ridden the rail trails of the former New York and Putnam Railroad Main Line, besides one user that I already know has done it (Yes, I'm referring to you, RoadGeekAdam)?

Is the Putnam Trail as fun to ride as it looks?

probably no one has :(

mariethefoxy

Is there plans to reopen the closed rest area on 495 Westbound across from that new Long Island Welcome Center one? I drove by there last week and noticed the concrete barriers were gone (it was coned off), and the whole thing was repaved with new lines and everything in addition to the main repaving project on 495 in Suffolk county. If they were planning to keep it closed why bother repaving it?

TonyTrafficLight

Quote from: baugh17 on October 21, 2022, 09:11:29 PM

I bought a NY 11 shield for my home office last winter on eBay as well.  Sticker on the back indicates R9.  I believe the seller was the guy who runs Twin Green Traffic Signal out of Columbia County.

Yeah those were his. I was with him when he got those. We did a double take when we realized what they were.
I like signals I guess

https://tonytrafficlight.com

vdeane

Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 22, 2022, 01:33:03 AM
Is there plans to reopen the closed rest area on 495 Westbound across from that new Long Island Welcome Center one? I drove by there last week and noticed the concrete barriers were gone (it was coned off), and the whole thing was repaved with new lines and everything in addition to the main repaving project on 495 in Suffolk county. If they were planning to keep it closed why bother repaving it?
That's a very interesting question.  Unfortunately, the project plans don't have any signage items that might shed some light on this.  Perhaps a question for Region 10?

There's another one like this - the SB Schroon Lake Rest Area, permanently closed, but it's never been striped out or had the signage removed.  And there's still the "temporarily closed" rest areas at Hastings and Lewis.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: vdeane on October 22, 2022, 05:14:11 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 22, 2022, 01:33:03 AM
That's a very interesting question.  Unfortunately, the project plans don't have any signage items that might shed some light on this.  Perhaps a question for Region 10?

There's another one like this - the SB Schroon Lake Rest Area, permanently closed, but it's never been striped out or had the signage removed.  And there's still the "temporarily closed" rest areas at Hastings and Lewis.

Many of the signs are already still there like the Eisenhower interstate one, the no littering, the 495 entrance. If I recall right the Parking area/former weigh station on 495 west by exit 65 has no advanced signs for it either but it's just open. (There are signs for the eastbound one, and the slapped together parking area by NY 111 that was built from the DOT garage area)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.