Gauging Interest: Springfield, MO

Started by US71, March 19, 2018, 09:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: US71 on March 28, 2018, 09:58:01 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on March 28, 2018, 09:14:49 PM
It's the pit of misery, what's you expect? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But Missouri loves company :)

Which company? Missouri hasn't annexed Bentonville, AR yet.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Nikolai

I also might consider this if it happens in 2019.

US71

Quote from: Nikolai on April 10, 2018, 11:24:43 AM
I also might consider this if it happens in 2019.

I'm hoping to do some preliminary scouting this weekend. Lots to see, but need to narrrow it down to 3-4 hours
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

If I read his post right, Gene wants to do a two-day meet July 6-7.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on April 11, 2018, 10:04:15 AM

An informal meet, but yes. I'm not sure of his exact plans.  Depending on what he does I may or may not continue to put something together for next Spring.

hbelkins

I'll be anxious to hear more of what he has in mind. Are there a concentration of like-minded folks in Springfield that would allow him to do something mainly for locals?

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on April 12, 2018, 11:10:44 AM
I'll be anxious to hear more of what he has in mind. Are there a concentration of like-minded folks in Springfield that would allow him to do something mainly for locals?

I don't know of anyone besides "Alternate 71",unless he has some St Louis people interested. I might go up if I have time. He's talking 2 days including Rolla, but I don't know if that includes the Gasconade bridge. 

A.J. Bertin

Where was that posted? And... whereabouts would Gene's meet be held?
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 12, 2018, 08:35:36 PM

On his personal Facebook page.  He's talking Springfield, MO area: Branson on Day 1,  Rolla, and possibly Lake of the Ozarks on Day 2. I have no idea if any of that will include the  Gasconade Bridge or the Galena Y Bridge .

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: US71 on April 12, 2018, 08:48:14 PM

On his personal Facebook page.  He's talking Springfield, MO area: Branson on Day 1,  Rolla, and possibly Lake of the Ozarks on Day 2.

That sounds cool. I'm Facebook friends with Gene but I don't remember seeing anything from him about this. I hope I see something else from him about it (either on here, on Facebook, or both). If he hosts this, I'm not sure I'd be able to attend - but I'd like to try.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 13, 2018, 07:21:15 AM
Quote from: US71 on April 12, 2018, 08:48:14 PM

On his personal Facebook page.  He's talking Springfield, MO area: Branson on Day 1,  Rolla, and possibly Lake of the Ozarks on Day 2.

That sounds cool. I'm Facebook friends with Gene but I don't remember seeing anything from him about this. I hope I see something else from him about it (either on here, on Facebook, or both). If he hosts this, I'm not sure I'd be able to attend - but I'd like to try.

He mentioned it when he posted his vacation plans. It was in one of his comments.

SSOWorld

I gather nothing's solid on this, but I'd like (and hope) to see an event made for this but that's Gene's prerogative.  I've never done Branson.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Gene has posted an event and linked it to Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/380393115776733/

Synopsis for the refusniks:

Date: July 6, 2017 - Yes this is a Friday.
Time: 11:00 AM
Place: FD's Grillhouse, Springfield.

Tour of road sites in the Springfield/Branson area. Included: Galena Y Bridge, quirks on US 160, tour of MO 465, 19% grade on MO 176, Table Rock Dam, and tour of Old US 65 back to Springfield.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

bugo

I might be interested in this, depending on a lot of factors. July in Missouri is absolutely miserable, and I would much prefer a spring meet to a summer meet.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: bugo on May 06, 2018, 01:25:53 AM
I might be interested in this, depending on a lot of factors. July in Missouri is absolutely miserable, and I would much prefer a spring meet to a summer meet.

This is sadly the reason why I will probably pass.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

^^ Wouldn't be the first time a meet was held in a high-humidity area.  I hosted a MS/LA meet at the end of August one year that was fairly decently attended.

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 06, 2018, 01:25:53 AM

Considering how cool Spring has been so far, who knows what Summer will be like?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: froggie on May 06, 2018, 08:09:35 AM
^^ Wouldn't be the first time a meet was held in a high-humidity area.  I hosted a MS/LA meet at the end of August one year that was fairly decently attended.

Was that the Gustav meet?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jpi

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 06, 2018, 09:37:16 PM
Quote from: froggie on May 06, 2018, 08:09:35 AM

Was that the Gustav meet?
Yes it was, overall the weather the day of the meet was nice, just a little hot and humid but still decent, Steph and I had a good time and it was our first time in NOLA area
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

I can't imagine Missouri Julys being any worse than Kentucky Julys.

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 05, 2018, 12:18:46 PM
Gene has posted an event and linked it to Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/380393115776733/

Tour of road sites in the Springfield/Branson area. Included: Galena Y Bridge, quirks on US 160, tour of MO 465, 19% grade on MO 176, Table Rock Dam, and tour of Old US 65 back to Springfield.

He's also planning a Saturday portion that would include old US 66 between Springfield and Rolla, Devil's Elbow, and some other sights.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jpi

Quote from: hbelkins on May 07, 2018, 12:02:18 PM
I can't imagine Missouri Julys being any worse than Kentucky Julys.

He's also planning a Saturday portion that would include old US 66 between Springfield and Rolla, Devil's Elbow, and some other sights.
If I can get Thursday off to drive out to Springfield, this would work out great for me as I will be heading to St Louis on Saturday for a toy show on Sunday, Since we would be running the 66\ I-44 corridor I can continue on to STL after Devil's Elbow.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on May 07, 2018, 01:47:26 PM
Thursday, actually.

Yeah, I'm really interested in this meet if I get the chance to see my first time machine.

US71

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.