News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Philadelphia is still interested in making Roosevelt Boulevard into a Freeway

Started by kernals12, December 15, 2020, 08:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Looking at the June 2019 presentation, I strongly suspect the "Neighborhood Boulevard" option will be the one that is chosen. If they even try to pick the "Partially Capped Expressway" option, the NIMBYs will howl with opposition, and lawsuits against it will be filed like gangbusters. Like it or not, Roosevelt Boulevard is likely stuck in its existing configuration permanently.

kernals12

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 16, 2020, 01:54:40 PM
Looking at the June 2019 presentation, I strongly suspect the "Neighborhood Boulevard" option will be the one that is chosen. If they even try to pick the "Partially Capped Expressway" option, the NIMBYs will howl with opposition, and lawsuits against it will be filed like gangbusters. Like it or not, Roosevelt Boulevard is likely stuck in its existing configuration permanently.

Why though? The partially capped expressway means pedestrians have to cross fewer lanes of traffic. NIMBYism isn't always a thing.

The Ghostbuster

People hate change. Look at how much opposition the people of Cape Cod showed towards renumbering US 6's exit numbers from sequential to mileage-based. I would expect those living along Roosevelt Boulevard (and elsewhere) would level similar opposition to the "Partially Capped Expressway" proposal, even though I myself would totally support it (although being from Madison, Wisconsin, I have no say in the matter). When emotions run high, rationality often goes out the window.

kernals12

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 16, 2020, 02:13:28 PM
People hate change. Look at how much opposition the people of Cape Cod showed towards renumbering US 6's exit numbers from sequential to mileage-based. I would expect those living along Roosevelt Boulevard (and elsewhere) would level similar opposition to the "Partially Capped Expressway" proposal, even though I myself would totally support it (although being from Madison, Wisconsin, I have no say in the matter). When emotions run high, rationality often goes out the window.

They're currently planning to widen the Cape Cod Bridges to 6 lanes. There may be a handful of vocal opponents but they're a minority. In Lincoln, there were few opponents to the replacement of the infamous Crosby's Corner intersection on 2 with a freeway interchange and officials in Concord have been begging the MassDOT for years to do the same thing to the Concord Rotary. Most of the people who live along Roosevelt Boulevard also drive on Roosevelt Boulevard and know how terrible it is.

It seems like NIMBYs get unfairly scapegoated in the cancellation of highway projects when more likely than not, it's a matter of money. See also: Nuclear Power Plants.

ixnay

Quote from: kernals12 on December 16, 2020, 09:59:13 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 15, 2020, 10:36:29 PM
I didn't know that they were still building freeways in cities.

This is a special case where, by all objective measures, a freeway would make the immediate area more livable than what's there now. Currently, it's a 12 lane at-grade avenue with 4 separate carriageways separated by a wide grassy median.

It looks like it's auditioning (poorly) for the lead role in a biopic of the dual-dual portion of the NJ Turnpike.  (Don't call us, we'll call you)  :)

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

kernals12

Quote from: ixnay on December 20, 2020, 09:24:23 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on December 16, 2020, 09:59:13 AM

This is a special case where, by all objective measures, a freeway would make the immediate area more livable than what's there now. Currently, it's a 12 lane at-grade avenue with 4 separate carriageways separated by a wide grassy median.

It looks like it's auditioning (poorly) for the lead role in a biopic of the dual-dual portion of the NJ Turnpike.  (Don't call us, we'll call you)  :)

ixnay

lol

Plutonic Panda

There's even examples in Europe of new freeways being constructed in cities.

roadman65

Copy Virginia and give it a diet like Mercury Blvd in Hampton.  The once dual roadway of Mercury Blvd, set up like Roosevelt Blvd is always been,  is narrowed the roadway to just the original inner roadway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RobbieL2415

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 16, 2020, 02:13:28 PM
Well now their precious bridges will be coming down in the next decade, so I guess that makes everything even.

But with regards to Roosevelt Blvd, why isn't a double-stacked tunnel an option?

PHLBOS

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 22, 2020, 10:37:42 AMBut with regards to Roosevelt Blvd, why isn't a double-stacked tunnel an option?
Off hand, additional cost & excavation.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.