County roads whose numbers reflect their status as former US or state highways

Started by KCRoadFan, July 03, 2022, 09:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I was just thinking about how after the four-lane stretch of US 14 in Minnesota was completed between Mankato and Owatonna, Waseca County designated the former two-lane alignment, through Waseca and Janesville, as County 14.

That made me wonder: throughout the country, where might there be other county roads that were numbered such because they used to be state or US highways of the same number, or at least a similar one?

(I'm not sure if I already created a thread like this one a while back, but if I have, then please go ahead and merge it.)

Max Rockatansky

San Bernardino County Route 66 was US 66.  Mohave County Route 91 was once US 91.  FWIW Florida is full of a shit ton of these since the County Roads generally retain State Road numbers.

Mapmikey

The majority of old US 21 from Charleston WV to nearly Parkersburg is CR 21.

oscar

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Evan_Th

When US 61 got truncated to central Minnesota, its old route south of Duluth usually became CR 61.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Evan_Th on July 03, 2022, 09:50:05 PM
When US 61 got truncated to central Minnesota, its old route south of Duluth usually became CR 61.
The counties took over most of the old route (except MN 361) before it was truncated.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Voyager75

In Alabama, ALDOT and Baldwin County did a mileage swap. CR-112 in Northern Baldwin County used to be AL-112 before ALDOT changed the southern half of CR-27 below I-10 to become AL-181. In 10 years AL-181 will probably be another artery for beach traffic once it's fully 4 laned to US-98.

Southeast of Birmingham there's the old 2 lane sections of US-280 which are numbered CR-280 in the Chelsea/Westover area.

SkyPesos

A few segments of the road parallel to I-75 between Dayton and Toledo is called County Route 25A, which is a nod to former US 25 on the corridor.

Similar case for County Route 21 parallel to I-77 for former US 21.

webny99

A NY example: CR 57 in Onandaga and Oswego counties used to be NY 57. (It's technically CR 91 in Onandaga County, but signed as CR 57.)
It also has the distinction of being the only county route signed from a NY Thruway exit, an honor likely owing at least in part to its former state route status.

amroad17

The same goes for County 33A as a nod to US 33 which was relocated on the expressway around Wapakoneta, OH to St. Mary's, OH.

In New York, the section of former NY 31B in Cayuga County from Weedsport to 2.5 miles west of Elbridge retains the number, although unsigned.  Onondaga County assigned CR 99 to the small 0.4 mile section from NY 5 to the Cayuga/Onondaga line.

Just had to delete what I wrote about CR 57 as webny99 posted while I was typing my response.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

US 89

Washington CR 91 in Utah used to be US 91.

This is a state that doesn't really have much in the way of numbered county routes, so clearly the number is pretty significant locally.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on July 04, 2022, 12:01:12 AM
A NY example: CR 57 in Onandaga and Oswego counties used to be NY 57. (It's technically CR 91 in Onandaga County, but signed as CR 57.)
It also has the distinction of being the only county route signed from a NY Thruway exit, an honor likely owing at least in part to its former state route status.

Hehehehehehe...It is trickier than this.

Part of what is signed as County Route 57 is actually State Reference Route 931G -- From 370 to Tulip Street.  So, part of it is indeed owned by the State rather than Onondaga County.

Ownership stuff like this is messy when NYSDOT has upcoming projects on the Parkway, 931G and 370 (west of Heid's) over the upcoming years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

hotdogPi

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 04, 2022, 11:01:11 AM
I don't believe there are any county roads in New England.

This is correct, except for the four municipalities literally named "New England" that are nowhere near the Northeast, and one since-removed shield error actually in New England (should be a MA state route):

photo from alpsroads
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

IowaTraveler

County road 105 in north central Iowa used to be IA 105. Annoyingly, it's currently the only signed county road in Iowa that doesn't follow the alphanumeric naming system.

In addition, county road X99 in Des Moines and Louisa Counties used to be IA 99. It was initially signed as county road 99 after IA 99 was decommissioned, and there are still a few shields and street signs referring to it as such.

There are a few other former state highways in Des Moines and Louisa Counties that kept their numbers after decommissioning, but the rest have either been renumbered to fit the naming system or remain unsigned.

There's also Dallas County road F90, which was formerly IA 90.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Molandfreak on July 03, 2022, 10:00:52 PM
Quote from: Evan_Th on July 03, 2022, 09:50:05 PM
The counties took over most of the old route (except MN 361) before it was truncated.

Anoka/Ramsey CSAH 10
Lake/St. Louis CSAH 61 (the expressway was also built while still US 61)
Clay CSAH 52
Hennepin CSAH 112 is old US 12 through Orono and Long Lake
most of old US 169 in Shakopee is now CSAH 69 this might just be a coincidence
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jaehak

This is a swing, but Douglas County (Kansas) 442 used to be K10. 4+4+2=10

nexus73

The former US 99 from Drain OR south to I-5 is now county 99. 
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bickendan

Still OR 99, but not state maintained, and signed as such from nb I-5. It is cosigned as a Douglas County route, but I don't remember its number, as the shields are small.
Along the route itself through Yoncalla, you are hard pressed to find shields for 99.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana has several. Clark County signed IN 160, 311 and 403 as County Highways of the same number after INDOT decommissioned them.

The decommissioned segment of IN 144 (between two still-existing segments) is known as CR 144.

The decommissioned IN 122 is known as Old Indiana 122.

There are also many old alignments of routes still known as Old XX.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thenetwork

Most of the old US-25 alignment in Ohio that is not claimed by any other state route is known in multiple counties as County Road 25-A and is signed as such the many times the old alignment crosses I-75.

On the other side of the state, much of the decommissioned US‐21 alignment is known across multiple counties as Old 21.

pianocello

Quote from: IowaTraveler on July 04, 2022, 11:38:03 AM
County road 105 in north central Iowa used to be IA 105. Annoyingly, it's currently the only signed county road in Iowa that doesn't follow the alphanumeric naming system.

In addition, county road X99 in Des Moines and Louisa Counties used to be IA 99. It was initially signed as county road 99 after IA 99 was decommissioned, and there are still a few shields and street signs referring to it as such.

There are a few other former state highways in Des Moines and Louisa Counties that kept their numbers after decommissioning, but the rest have either been renumbered to fit the naming system or remain unsigned.

There's also Dallas County road F90, which was formerly IA 90.

Other Iowa examples are County Road D20 in the Fort Dodge area and H34 around Red Oak. Both are former routes of the nearby US Routes.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Dirt Roads

Another one from West Virginia:  After the old WV-73 was decommissioned in Monongalia and Marion counties (being mostly parallel to I-79 and what's now I-68), parts of the road got renumbered as CR-73 and CR-73/73.

Also, the original Alternate US-22 in Weirton was renumbered as WV-507 in 1977.  That was downgraded a few years after, and is now posted as LSR-507.  (The LSR routes get a full-sized circle shield posted).

ibagli

The former northern portion of OH 668 in Licking County is still County Road 668. Until about a decade ago, the signs on OH 16 just called it County Road 668 rather than using its names (Brownsville Road to the south and Licking Valley Road to north), which was unusual in a county where county road numbers aren't very prominent.

JayhawkCO

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.