Abandoned Part of roads/freeways.

Started by Lukeisroads, February 25, 2023, 09:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: bugo on May 01, 2023, 08:53:15 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 25, 2023, 03:07:29 PM
There's this little bit of former I-44 northeast of Tulsa which was rerouted to meet the Creek Turnpike.

It's always annoyed me that they didn't dig it up.

Why do you want them to demolish it? It isn't hurting you. It isn't hurting anybody. It's a really neat place and I'm glad it's there. I don't understand how somebody can call themselves a "road enthusiast" but they want everything interesting about the hobby to go away.

Yeah this is pretty cool.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1772458,-95.7395807,3a,75y,259.4h,90.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szklRWZEGV-sbs7l7gQLSkg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

CovalenceSTU

There's some abandoned, yet still visible sections of the original Columbia River Highway, starting with this bridge by OR-127 (first pic is mine, the other 2 are GSV):

There's also this random segment, which (also) has to be rather old as it's a 20ft concrete road with gravel shoulders:

as well as this mysterious road between Deer Island and Goble, which only has a guard rail visible:

Dough4872

Pennsylvania Route 23 has two abandoned freeway segments. The first is the Goat Path in Lancaster County, which consists of a graded but unbuilt road with the right-of-way used as farmland. The Goat Path consists of completed bridges and an incomplete interchange with PA 772. The second is the Schuylkill Parkway in Bridgeport, which is a short freeway stub that dead ends. The Schuylkill Parkway is used to test line painting.

There is an abandoned section of US 13 south of Tybouts Corner, DE that was bypassed when DE 1 was built and US 13 was rerouted to follow DE 1. The southbound lanes are still used as a local road while the northbound lanes are abandoned.

Rothman

Quote from: Dough4872 on May 31, 2023, 09:33:32 PM
Pennsylvania Route 23 has two abandoned freeway segments. The first is the Goat Path in Lancaster County, which consists of a graded but unbuilt road with the right-of-way used as farmland. The Goat Path consists of completed bridges and an incomplete interchange with PA 772. The second is the Schuylkill Parkway in Bridgeport, which is a short freeway stub that dead ends. The Schuylkill Parkway is used to test line painting.

There is an abandoned section of US 13 south of Tybouts Corner, DE that was bypassed when DE 1 was built and US 13 was rerouted to follow DE 1. The southbound lanes are still used as a local road while the northbound lanes are abandoned.
There was a post in this thread already that covered some of the segments that you mentioned.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

There's this little bit of former I-44 northeast of Tulsa which was rerouted to meet the Creek Turnpike.

Why do you want them to demolish it? It isn't hurting you. It isn't hurting anybody. It's a really neat place and I'm glad it's there. I don't understand how somebody can call themselves a "road enthusiast" but they want everything interesting about the hobby to go away.

I agree, except for removing the old Pine St overcrossing bridge and regrading it to ground level, leave it alone.  If nothing else, in the indeterminate future, a developer might come by and use that old highway as a major access surface street in his or her new plans.

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on June 01, 2023, 11:20:53 AM

I agree, except for removing the old Pine St overcrossing bridge and regrading it to ground level, leave it alone.  If nothing else, in the indeterminate future, a developer might come by and use that old highway as a major access surface street in his or her new plans.

Mike

I always appreciate a good chunk of derelict old highway or abandoned anything to find.  That said, is not the current FHWA standard to raze the abandoned road to allow plant growth to take place?

bugo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 01, 2023, 11:53:20 AM
I always appreciate a good chunk of derelict old highway or abandoned anything to find.  That said, is not the current FHWA standard to raze the abandoned road to allow plant growth to take place?

This is Oklahoma. They don't care what the feds say. They do it however they feel like doing it on that particular day.

Abandoning infrastructure is an Oklahoma tradition. There are dozens of steel truss bridges scattered around the state that were abandoned in place when counties built new parallel bridges. Some of the new concrete bridges are mere feet from the old truss bridges, which are usually through truss bridges. There are a handful of bridges on the state highway system that have been abandoned/preserved in place, including the US 266 Deep Fork River bridge in Okmulgee County or the US 66 Little Cabin Creek bridge in Craig County, but they're all over on county roads if you know where to look.

This is the old Strang bridge in Mayes County:

Bear Creek bridge in Logan County:

Old Channel Verdigris River bridge in Wagoner County:

Arkansas River bridge in Tulsa County. This one wasn't abandoned, but was repurposed as a pedestrian span:

Henry

Quote from: mgk920 on June 01, 2023, 11:20:53 AM

Mike

I'm quite old enough to remember when I-44 was still in its original configuration. Wasn't the current eastbound left exit to OK 66 a normal right exit from the old alignment?

One note about the old alignment: It is now a training ground for the OK Highway Patrol, among others. It's probably being used as a walking/biking trail as well.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on June 01, 2023, 08:52:35 PM

This is Oklahoma. They don't care what the feds say. They do it however they feel like doing it on that particular day.

It's also a toll road, so Oklahoma can stick their finger in the eye of FHWA with impunity.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.