News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The one highway, interstate, or city street you HATE to drive

Started by Billy F 1988, April 22, 2023, 01:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

Time for me to add Mullan Road to the ever growing list of roads I hate driving on. The shatbag contractors just put up two roundabouts already ruining a once peacefully good road to travel on. Now, Mullan Road in Missoula is a shitfest, and I bet Lt. John Mullan is facepalming in his grave wondering how his namesake trail can be bastardized to this extent! Thanks, Missoula. Didn't want them, but now it's there for eternity. Congrats. MDT and the (Missoula) county commission can now take their drunk ass money and go hook up in a swank country club and get flat!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

FrCorySticha

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on May 26, 2023, 08:27:07 PM
Time for me to add Mullan Road to the ever growing list of roads I hate driving on. The shatbag contractors just put up two roundabouts already ruining a once peacefully good road to travel on. Now, Mullan Road in Missoula is a shitfest, and I bet Captain John Mullan is facepalming in his grave wondering how his namesake trail can be bastardized to this extent! Thanks, Missoula. Didn't want them, but now it's there for eternity. Congrats. MDT and the (Missoula) county commission can now take their drunk ass money and go hook up in a swank country club and get flat!

That's annoying. Mullan Road was a great way to escape from the insanity of Reserve St. if heading west.

I don't know the history of that road. Is it actually part of the original Mullan Trail?

Billy F 1988

Quote from: FrCorySticha on May 26, 2023, 10:17:29 PM
Time for me to add Mullan Road to the ever growing list of roads I hate driving on. The shatbag contractors just put up two roundabouts already ruining a once peacefully good road to travel on. Now, Mullan Road in Missoula is a shitfest, and I bet Captain John Mullan is facepalming in his grave wondering how his namesake trail can be bastardized to this extent! Thanks, Missoula. Didn't want them, but now it's there for eternity. Congrats. MDT and the (Missoula) county commission can now take their drunk ass money and go hook up in a swank country club and get flat!

That's annoying. Mullan Road was a great way to escape from the insanity of Reserve St. if heading west.

I don't know the history of that road. Is it actually part of the original Mullan Trail?

My understanding is that this part of the original Mullan Trail commissioned by Lt. Mullan came through this part of Missoula when the road was being built to connect Fort Walla Walla, WA. Construction of the road began in 1853 by the Army Corps of Engineers of which Lt. Mullan overseen the project. Much of I-15 and I-90 follow the various contours of the trail itself. It terminates near Fort Benton in Choteau County, MT. When the construction began there, it was still under the Dakota Territory governance until July 1863 when it was under Idaho Territory governance, finally under Montana Territory governance in 1864.
====
SIDEBAR: Google Maps now has the outline of the roundabouts traced over a 2019 USGS image of the original roadway itself. The first connects George Elmer Drive:

https://goo.gl/maps/fZANjU4LXpdjSezJ8

The second connects a new roadway called Mary Jane Blvd:
https://goo.gl/maps/rgrt5Wcjp3cT3k2P7
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Big John

^^ Mary Jane Blvd?  Do they understand street slang?

FrCorySticha

Quote from: Big John on May 27, 2023, 01:05:50 AM
^^ Mary Jane Blvd?  Do they understand street slang?

Missoula is one of the major college towns of Montana. I'm sure they're well aware.

mgk920

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on May 26, 2023, 11:11:07 PM
Quote from: FrCorySticha on May 26, 2023, 10:17:29 PM

My understanding is that this part of the original Mullan Trail commissioned by Lt. Mullan came through this part of Missoula when the road was being built to connect Fort Walla Walla, WA. Construction of the road began in 1853 by the Army Corps of Engineers of which Lt. Mullan overseen the project. Much of I-15 and I-90 follow the various contours of the trail itself. It terminates near Fort Benton in Choteau County, MT. When the construction began there, it was still under the Dakota Territory governance until July 1863 when it was under Idaho Territory governance, finally under Montana Territory governance in 1864.
====
SIDEBAR: Google Maps now has the outline of the roundabouts traced over a 2019 USGS image of the original roadway itself. The first connects George Elmer Drive:

https://goo.gl/maps/fZANjU4LXpdjSezJ8

The second connects a new roadway called Mary Jane Blvd:
https://goo.gl/maps/rgrt5Wcjp3cT3k2P7

I-90 at Mullan Pass is one of those roads at would be a long tunnel had it been built by European engineers.

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 10, 2023, 11:53:00 AM
Quote from: thspfc on May 10, 2023, 11:30:41 AM
Somehow no Beltline yet. I'd also add East Washington Ave. and Gorham St.

Honestly, never minded all three of them.

Agreed, the only Madison, WI area roads that I don't particularly like to drive are the US 18/151 routings through the Beltline/Verona Rd interchange and the turns between I-39/90/94 south of the East Towne Interchange and US 151 to the northeast.  At least the latter is currently under study by WisDOT for major upgrades.

Mike

mgk920

Closer to home, I really don't like driving I-41 between Appleton, WI and Green Bay, WI.  The four lane part is fast becoming like 'game day' every day with commuter traffic.  OTOH, WisDOT will begin work on rebuilding it as a six lane urban profile freeway with the spring thaw of next year.   :cool:

Mike

MATraveler128

I was just on I-376 today and traffic was extremely heavy heading west towards the Squirrel Hill Tunnel. Really didn’t like driving that road. But the views are very nice. So there’s another for my list.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Big John

Green Bay- Ashland Ave on-ramp to EB Mason St.  Substandard as heck very short merge area and no shoulders.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.