News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

East-West and North-South Interstates Compared

Started by CtrlAltDel, January 02, 2018, 01:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

On Reddit today, I noticed an interesting set of Interstate data. It places the west or north terminus of each of the ten longest of them and shows their deviation from a straight line. I thought people here might want to take a look on it, so I thought I'd post the link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/7nfxbd/the_10_longest_eastwest_us_interstate_highways_oc/

(Both visualizations created by Reddit user mister54.)

I didn't know that I-80, while shorter than I-90, "stretches" a bit farther. Same with I-95 and I-75.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US 89

That's pretty cool. You could figure out which interstates are more "efficient"  (like 80 would be more efficient than 90, since it travels farther across the country in a shorter distance).

Hurricane Rex

I just wished it showed all 2di interstates for curiosity. Otherwise great image.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Rothman

They just look like overlays of their actual routes to me.  Neat comparison, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hubcity

I have to assume they're counting "95" as though the PA Tpk/95 intersection is complete...

vdeane

Zooming in on the image, it looks like they just drew a line from the end of the "southern" I-95 in Trenton to the beginning of the "northern" I-95 at I-276.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on January 02, 2018, 12:47:58 PM
Zooming in on the image, it looks like they just drew a line from the end of the "southern" I-95 in Trenton to the beginning of the "northern" I-95 at I-276.
The line actually looks more like they used I-295 (south of US 1) & I-195 (up to the NJTP) as "part" of I-95.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

^ Looks more to me like they followed an I-295/I-195 routing between Trenton and the Turnpike.

Henry

I think it's cool how they seemingly drew the actual paths from memory, which not many of us can do. And I did notice the loop around Trenton for I-95, even though that has never been a part of it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mvak36

I created a map in Google Earth that has a pin at every intersection of the 20 interstates in the above list. It doesn't have all the intersections (there are a lot of intersections near the Chicago area that I only did a few).

A few interesting things I noticed:

• St. Louis has the most interstates within a city with 4 interstates within a few miles of each other in the downtown area.
  • The Chicago metro area (including Gary, IN) has the most number of interstates with 5 (80,90,94,55,65)
  • Once I-69 gets finished to Memphis, this list will change. It will knock I-29 off of this list. If it ever gets completed to Laredo, then it will be even further from the "origin" than I-95.
  • If I-74 ever gets connected between Ohio and NC (not very likely), it can probably knock off one of the interstates on the East-West list.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Henry on January 03, 2018, 09:33:15 AM
I think it's cool how they seemingly drew the actual paths from memory, which not many of us can do. And I did notice the loop around Trenton for I-95, even though that has never been a part of it.

Or he just copy/pasted the lines from their actual location; which seems far, far more likely.
Or one could mess with the coordinates on a shapefile of these interstates to make them start at the same point.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: mvak36 on February 19, 2018, 10:03:34 PM
  • The Chicago metro area (including Gary, IN) has the most number of interstates with 5 (80,90,94,55,65)
Since when was I-94, I-90, and I-80 end with 5?
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

mvak36

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 21, 2018, 11:35:37 PM

I didn't say that they end with 5. I said that those 5 interstates pass through the Chicago metro area.

sparker

Quote from: mvak36 on February 22, 2018, 12:06:18 AM

I didn't say that they end with 5. I said that those 5 interstates pass through the Chicago metro area.

Forgotten with this list: I-57 (right into town), I-88 (makes it to suburbia), and -- stretching things a bit -- I-41. 

mvak36

Quote from: sparker on February 22, 2018, 12:14:01 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on February 22, 2018, 12:06:18 AM

Forgotten with this list: I-57 (right into town), I-88 (makes it to suburbia), and -- stretching things a bit -- I-41.
I know those go into Chicago. I was only considering the 20 interstates listed in the OP.

iPhone

Flint1979

I-80 runs on more of a straight line while I-90 shifts a lot like from Seattle to Wyoming, then it shifts down again to Chicago before coming back up around Buffalo then a somewhat straight shot to Boston. The only area where I-80 really shifts anywhere other than a little bit in Nebraska and Wyoming is in central Nevada heading towards San Fransisco. I-90 is only longer by about 120 miles.

Bickendan

Since I-5 and I-15 have very similar southern origin points, as do I-75 and I-95, you can determine what the drift is between both pairs. I-5 and I-15 have the bonus of both terminating at 49­º N. Rough guess is that they're about 560-575 miles apart from each other there.
It's a little harder with I-75 and I-95, but they're about 920 miles from each other at their north ends!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.