Longest, Most Desolate Direct Route Between Two Major Cities

Started by pdx-wanderer, February 01, 2018, 06:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: 1 on February 05, 2018, 07:41:39 PM
Sioux Falls and Rapid City are each larger than anything along DC to Buffalo. (Including Frederick MD, which is arguably part of the DC metro.)
The lack of large cities on the DC-Buffalo corridor is probably a large part of the reason why there are no good freeways  :banghead:
It's not exactly "desolate", but by east coast standards, I think it qualifies.

bzakharin

I-80 between Cleveland, OH and NYC at around 400 miles is pretty desolate for the Northeast

SD Mapman

Quote from: roadman65 on February 05, 2018, 07:05:57 PM
In SD the two largest cities, even though small cities compared to states like Texas, California, and Florida has I-90 that goes directly between them with hardly any population or development along its route.  Most is all prairie the entire way. Some population east of the Missouri River, but still pretty desolate though.

I guess it depends on your perspective. Coming at this from what East Coast people are used to, I could see how the ~200 mile gap with no Mickey D's from Chamberlain to Rapid could be considered desolate. From our view, as long as there's a gas station/convenience store every so often, that's pretty densely populated.

Also, what's wrong with prairie? There's nothing like stopping at the "Scenic Overlook" west of Kadoka and looking out over the majestic plains and badlands with the Hills in the distance (no, I don't have a lot of state pride, why do you ask?).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

pdx-wanderer

Clarification:

10,000 was my initial population cutoff, based on this routing. That's probably a bit too low. 20,000? 25,000? I was going off of the recommended routing by Google which unless there's a traffic condition in Portland, will always be via Madras, Winnemucca, etc. That and anecdotally, too, it always is a longer trip going via Reno. Right now Google says 15:41 through Madras and Winnemucca and 16:25 through Reno (even slower than Boise-Twin Falls-US-93 at 16:11). In practice, the best I've done is 14:46 from West LV to my home in Portland.

I really didn't care about if a road had to be numbered or not - the unnumbered road is a rural, mostly flat, desert highway at 55 mph, no different than any other roads nearby except for its lack of a number. It's certainly a better way than through Bend or OR-27. I don't know why that road isn't numbered.

Routes out of Anchorage I find it hard to ignore Whitehorse, being the only city in the entire Yukon, and Grand Prairie being far bigger than anything from Portland to LV. Population density of the routes would be interesting to look at.

mrcmc888

Macon to Columbus, GA via US 80 is in the middle of nowhere.  You pass through a couple small towns, but that's about it.

The most direct route from Kingsport, TN to Morgantown, WV runs right through the Appalachians, and the most populated place you'll pass by is a ski resort.

oscar

Quote from: pdx-wanderer on February 06, 2018, 03:16:12 PM
Routes out of Anchorage I find it hard to ignore Whitehorse, being the only city in the entire Yukon, and Grand Prairie being far bigger than anything from Portland to LV. Population density of the routes would be interesting to look at.

Of course, Anchorage-Whitehorse is by itself over 700 miles. And once you're past Palmer AK (population about 7000) in Anchorage's outer suburbs, no community with a population over 1300 until you get to Whitehorse.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: pdx-wanderer on February 06, 2018, 03:16:12 PM
Clarification:

10,000 was my initial population cutoff, based on this routing. That's probably a bit too low. 20,000? 25,000?

Then your example to Las Vegas would be disqualified very soon as Prineville is currently 9950 and will exceed 10000 in about 3 years if it grows slowly. It will be in a year if it is growing at the same rate. In that case, I would say an even 25,000 is a good point.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

adventurernumber1

When I saw this thread, the first thing that popped into my head was Las Vegas to Reno, Nevada, but it looks like in terms of distance and such, that is easily beat by Las Vegas to Portland which was mentioned in the OP.

Quote from: froggie on February 05, 2018, 09:05:01 AM
What is the OP defining as "desolate"?

Regarding how we define desolate, we should probably go by the same criteria as was mentioned in this thread:

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 15, 2018, 12:27:00 AM
IMO, this is a good comparison between rural and desolate.

The distinction I'd make is that rural areas have farms or ranches, or at least some sign of human activity. Truly desolate areas have absolutely nothing.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

GaryV

Quote from: webny99 on February 01, 2018, 08:42:33 PM
... Canada may have some good contenders, though. Toronto to Winnipeg, potentially?
The fastest route goes through Chicago and Minneapolis, plus a host of smaller cities (London, Lansing, Battle Creek, Kalamazoo, Rockford, Madison, etc.)

Even if you were to stay in Canada, Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay are all sizable cities.

Interstate 69 Fan

Tsk, if I-76 wasn't rolled, I would drive it all the time.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

roadman65

Quote from: SD Mapman on February 06, 2018, 02:43:38 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 05, 2018, 07:05:57 PM
In SD the two largest cities, even though small cities compared to states like Texas, California, and Florida has I-90 that goes directly between them with hardly any population or development along its route.  Most is all prairie the entire way. Some population east of the Missouri River, but still pretty desolate though.

I guess it depends on your perspective. Coming at this from what East Coast people are used to, I could see how the ~200 mile gap with no Mickey D's from Chamberlain to Rapid could be considered desolate. From our view, as long as there's a gas station/convenience store every so often, that's pretty densely populated.

Also, what's wrong with prairie? There's nothing like stopping at the "Scenic Overlook" west of Kadoka and looking out over the majestic plains and badlands with the Hills in the distance (no, I don't have a lot of state pride, why do you ask?).
Absolutely nothing.

Just that when its quite around its considered desolate IMO.  Even in Nevada, the Ring of Fire State Park, its pretty to look at but if you break down or get stranded you could be alone for a while.   Desolation has nothing to do with looks or aesthetics when you drive.  If you are a driver and do that task for over 6 hours and see no large cities for miles it can be quite lonely despite the scenery.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Just off the top of my head . (With desolate in my mind meaning low population density)

I would say i80 from Sacramento to Salt Lake City

Z981

Rothman

Quote from: jwolfer on February 10, 2018, 02:49:01 AM
Just off the top of my head . (With desolate in my mind meaning low population density)

Z981
Reno says hello.

Also, the wayside towns of Winnemucca and Elko aren't the one-light towns they once were.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jwolfer

Quote from: Rothman on February 10, 2018, 10:30:48 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on February 10, 2018, 02:49:01 AM

Z981
Reno says hello.

Also, the wayside towns of Winnemucca and Elko aren't the one-light towns they once were.
You are right... Reno slipped my mind.

I 10 between El Paso and San Antonio is another one off the top of my head

Z981

roadman65

I-49 in between Lafayette and Shreveport.  That is why LADOTD allows it to be La's sole 75 mph roadway.   Yes from Lafayette to Opalousas is not so desolate but most of the route that is is north of Opalousas has nothing except for a short stretch in Alexandria and only a few miles in between Lafayette and Opalousas.

I drove that part in 2012 and there is nothing outside of Alexandria or the short stretch from I-10 to US 190 that resembles civllization.

Sheryl Crowe

adventurernumber1

Quote from: roadman65 on February 10, 2018, 03:37:34 PM
I-49 in between Lafayette and Shreveport.  That is why LADOTD allows it to be La's sole 75 mph roadway.   Yes from Lafayette to Opalousas is not so desolate but most of the route that is is north of Opalousas has nothing except for a short stretch in Alexandria and only a few miles in between Lafayette and Opalousas.

I drove that part in 2012 and there is nothing outside of Alexandria or the short stretch from I-10 to US 190 that resembles civllization.

Despite the fact that I have never myself been on I-49 in Louisiana (or on the interstate at all to begin with, as of now), I highly doubt that too much of it would be considered desolate (things falling under that definition are simply much harder to find in the eastern half of the country), and I would think that Alexandria alone would immediately disqualify it as a contender for this thread.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

doorknob60

It doesn't beat some of the others mentioned (Portland to Las Vegas is still the clear winner to me so far), but Boise to Butte, MT (I hesitate to call it major, but it's over the 25,000 mark some mentioned and by Montana standards it kind of is) is 425 miles and the only noteworthy cities it passes through are Mountain Home (13,800) and Dillon (4,300). I will be driving through this route in April, and from Dillon to Mountain Home is 314 miles with no fast food stops or other places like that, so we'll definitely have to plan for that. There's a handful of gas stations but not much else.

roadman65

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 10, 2018, 06:11:08 PM

Despite the fact that I have never myself been on I-49 in Louisiana (or on the interstate at all to begin with, as of now), I highly doubt that too much of it would be considered desolate (things falling under that definition are simply much harder to find in the eastern half of the country), and I would think that Alexandria alone would immediately disqualify it as a contender for this thread.

That is why I said other than Alexandria and the stretch from US 190 to I-10.  All the other stretches are desolate.  In fact try finding gas in between Alexandria and Shreveport.  Only the US 84 interchange has full services.

Also while on lack of gas and such, I-70 across the San Rafael Swells qualifies as desolate for civilization.  108 miles without an interchange that features anything directly.  Although Alex found that one exit in between Salina and Green River did have fuel about 10 miles away from the interchange, still not directly on it.  However, being on it the beauty of the swells prevents boredom so its got that to keep your mind occupied, but in La there is no beauty from Alexandria to Shreveport on I-49.  Also Green River and Salina are not major cities, I just point them out because the word desolate can be ambiguous.

Sheryl Crowe

pdx-wanderer

To follow, communities I could find population data for from Portland to Las Vegas (outside of the MSAs):

Oregon:
Warm Springs (2,431)
Madras (6,729)
Prineville (9,928)
Brothers (58)
Riley (113)
Crane (129)

Nevada:
McDermitt (513)
Orovada (155)
Winnemucca (7,866)
Golcoonda (214)
Valmy (37)
Battle Mountain (3,635)
Austin (192)
Tonopah (2,478)
Goldfield (268)
Beatty (1,010)
Amargosa Valley (1,456)
Indian Springs (991)

37,893 is the total population along this route (excluding the MSAs). That makes the "population density"  about 39 people per mile.

Along the route, there is one Walmart location, four McDonalds locations and zero Starbucks locations.
Long distances with no gas of 93 (Beatty-Tonopah), 89 (Austin-Battle Mountain) and, if Burns is bypassed, 284 (!) miles (McDermitt-Prineville).

Edit: You also won't find any Dennys locations outside of Beatty.

ftballfan

Quote from: pdx-wanderer on February 13, 2018, 11:46:31 PM
To follow, communities I could find population data for from Portland to Las Vegas (outside of the MSAs):

Oregon:
Warm Springs (2,431)
Madras (6,729)
Prineville (9,928)
Brothers (58)
Riley (113)
Crane (129)

Nevada:
McDermitt (513)
Orovada (155)
Winnemucca (7,866)
Golcoonda (214)
Valmy (37)
Battle Mountain (3,635)
Austin (192)
Tonopah (2,478)
Goldfield (268)
Beatty (1,010)
Amargosa Valley (1,456)
Indian Springs (991)

37,893 is the total population along this route (excluding the MSAs). That makes the "population density"  about 39 people per mile.

Along the route, there is one Walmart location, four McDonalds locations and zero Starbucks locations.
Long distances with no gas of 93 (Beatty-Tonopah), 89 (Austin-Battle Mountain) and, if Burns is bypassed, 284 (!) miles (McDermitt-Prineville).
That's extremely remote! Prineville does have a Starbucks, but it's on the other side of town than the portion the route goes through. Also, the one Walmart along a town on the route (Winnemucca) is on the opposite side of town as well. I find it unusual that Tonopah has a Tesla supercharger but not a McDonalds (they do have a Burger King in a gas station)

roadfro

Quote from: ftballfan on February 14, 2018, 09:59:44 AM
I find it unusual that Tonopah has a Tesla supercharger but not a McDonalds (they do have a Burger King in a gas station)

Tonopah used to have a McDonalds, south of the US 6/95 junction near the high school. It closed down about 5-10 years ago, after the Burger King+Chevron opened on the north end (with a Subway later going inside the Chevron portion) and presumably stole away the business. After sitting vacant a few years, I believe the building is currently a locally-owned coffee shop.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Anthony_JK

Ummm...that would be Opelousas.

It actually isn't that desolate once you get past Washington (LA 10 exit); it just feels lonely until you get to the rolling section between Meeker and Alexandria.

Haven't gone north of Alexandria, so can't comment on "desolation".

I'd nominate I-65 between Mobile and Birmingham into the mostly "desolate" category myself...but I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso wins hands down. 11 hours of sheer, sheer Hell, with only perhaps Kerville and Fort Stockton as relief. The Escarpment south of Kerrville, though, is pretty nice.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

oscar

Quote from: Rothman on February 16, 2018, 08:21:19 AM
11 hours?  Maybe back in the 55 mph days. :D

Much of that ~550-mile stretch has an 80mph speed limit. In Texas, that's one of the perks of "desolation", since low population density helps qualify for that limit.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JustDrive

You could drive from El Paso to San Antonio in roughly the same time it takes to go from Los Angeles to San Francisco, even though the former route is 120 miles longer than the latter.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.