News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's the biggest vehicle you'd drive on the road?

Started by Richard3, February 05, 2018, 08:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard3

In the curiosity posts, I ask you this time what is the biggest vehicle you'd drive on the road?

I specify "on the road" just to be sure we won't deal with mining, or industrial construction vehicles.  It may be your actual car, maybe! Or something bigger!  Let's start!

For my part, it always going bigger since I grabbed my driver's license in 1981; in the mid-1980's, I practiced my city driving in the narrow streets of Pointe-St-Charles neighborhood, in Montreal, QC, with my then-brother-in-law's 1976 Chrysler Newport.  Yes, those that were as big as a whale, and with the suspension that make you feel like in a ship.  Another one of my impressive moments was in 2005; I drove a french music band, and the two tour managers, across province of Quebec with a 32-feet Itasca motorhome.  Going through orange cones with that vehicle was a bit special, while some of our routes were on construction.  Finally, since 2010 in a training course, and since 2015 for my actual boss, I hit the roads with tractor-trailers; my actual machine is a 2004 Peterbilt 387, pulling 53-footers all across Canada and USA east coasts, from Newport, QC to Homestead, FL.

And you?  What's the biggest thing you'd drive a the road?
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

webny99

Quote from: Richard3 on February 05, 2018, 08:02:39 PM
In the curiosity posts, I ask you this time...

Is there a series?  :hmmm:

I've driven a Ford E-150, and I think that's as big as it gets in my case. This should be interesting.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Richard3

- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Max Rockatansky

An armored car for a week, worst job I ever took. 

Beltway

A dump truck with a chemical spreader box and a snow plow.
Did snow duty with VDOT in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

D-Dey65

I'd love to say that I'd drive some kind of big rig just to park it in my yard, then customize it the way I want and take a picture of it so I could post it on the web, or use it for some other artistic or miscellaneous purpose, but I'd be lying.

The biggest vehicle I ever drove was a 1975 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limousine. I saw it for sale quite cheap, and I thought it might be the kind of car I could use to take teenagers to their prom, and/or rent out to movie crews. Despite the fact that I was under 25 and only had a standard New York State drivers license, the guy was determined to sell it to me anyway. I have to admit it was a bit intimidating at first, but eventually I seemed to be getting the hang of it. Then I tried to park in a tough spot, and I clearly couldn't do it. He knew that he shouldn't sell it to me, and so did I.

http://oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Cadillac/1975_Cadillac/1975_Cadillac_Brochure/1975%20Cadillac-10.html

http://oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Cadillac/1975_Cadillac/1975_Cadillac_Brochure/1975%20Cadillac-11.html

I agreed not to buy it, but we both agreed it was a really nice car. I wanted to check up and see if he ever sold the thing to somebody who could handle it. If the internet existed back then, I'm sure I would've taken pictures of the thing and posted it on some message board or somewhere else hoping it would attract potential buyers.

Hurricane Rex

Riding: Military tank (don't ask)

Driving: my car.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Henry

The biggest vehicle I've ever owned is my 2001 Chevy Tahoe; as for driven overall, it's a U-Haul from Los Angeles to Seattle in 2000.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman

Biggest car I've ever driven was my parent's 1971 Catalina station wagon, which was also one of the cars I learned to drive on.

Biggest truck I've ever driven was a Ford F350 with a bucket attachment - this was in 1994 when a co-worker and I did overhead sign support inspections along I-95/I-93 (nee MA 128) between Randolph and Wellesley.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Jardine

Brandon

I usually drive a compact-size vehicle (by choice, I prefer it).  However, I have driven a Class C RV (31 footer).  That takes a bit more care when changing lanes.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Rothman

Biggest vehicle I have driven is a 26' U-Haul.

Biggest vehicle I have been in?  I was wondering about the glacier vehicles up in Banff/Jasper.  Never made it into an ore hauler when I lived outside of Duluth.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

I'm not sure but didn't we have a similar thread on this subject a while back?

For me, it was a Budget moving van (w/a Ford E-Series chassis) I rented to move my father from Nashville, TN to Sturbridge, MA over 10 years ago.

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 06, 2018, 01:52:19 AM

Okay, I won't ask about the tank but I will ask you what kind of car you have/drive?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on February 05, 2018, 11:52:18 PM

Same here with NJDOT.  Basically, this:

http://media.nj.com/traffic_impact/photo/njdot-asphalt-truck-and-trainerjpeg-14015db2b5062223.jpeg

Richard3

The original colours of the DFS trucks and trailers.  There's some remaining, but they'll be retired from the roads by 2020 for the trailers, and by 2019 for the tractors.

These are the actual colours of the units following the greens.  The brand new ones are all white, with only the logo on the sleepers, and the website address on the trailers sides, and the logo on the rear doors.

One day, I'll take a pic of my dedicated truck... once cleaned.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 06, 2018, 11:52:28 AM
Quote from: Beltway on February 05, 2018, 11:52:18 PM
Same here with NJDOT.  Basically, this:
http://media.nj.com/traffic_impact/photo/njdot-asphalt-truck-and-trainerjpeg-14015db2b5062223.jpeg

The truck looked considerably different, but was about the same size.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 06, 2018, 11:49:30 AM

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 06, 2018, 01:52:19 AM

Okay, I won't ask about the tank but I will ask you what kind of car you have/drive?
Subaru Outback most of the time. If I don't drive that, its normally a small rental car that my parents let's me drive. In other words not that big.

Edit: I misunderstood the OP, I thought it said what is the biggest vehicle you've driven. If its what I want to drive, no larger than A 4500 series truck or similar towing a bass boat.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

sparker

When I was doing the electronic trade-show circuit back from 1998 to 2003 I had occasion to rent a diesel bobtail, which I used to get loudspeakers and equipment from my production facility in San Dimas (near the 57/210 junction) to either Las Vegas or Newport Beach.  Slow, noisy, and they really didn't like the NB I-15 hill NE of Baker or the reverse-direction grade south of the state line.  Pretty much occupied the climbing lane for most of the duration of the grades.  Also a pain in the ass maneuvering around parking lots for loading & unloading.  Don't miss that aspect of the shows one bit!

DandyDan

It was either one of the cargo vans I used to drive for my old courier job or my dad's Chevy Silverado.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

slorydn1

Largest I've driven on the road (not that exact truck but a similar model to it):

Image result for FIRE TRUCKS

My father in law was an long distance truck driver, I wouldn't have minded doing that if my career hadn't worked out. I actually did drive his Peterbilt sans trailer one time from his house to the pick up point for his trailer, so about 5 miles. It was interesting to say the least (and the day I learned the phrase "If you can't find it, grind it").
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Richard3

- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

cpzilliacus

Ford F-250 TurboDiesel (infrequently) towing a long and heavy trailer.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sparker

Quote from: cjk374 on February 11, 2018, 01:56:01 PM
I have run many fine GM products on the roads: GP 9s, GP 15s, GP 38s, GP 40s  :bigass:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4854704

On the roads?  The railroad you work for must have some street running -- or at least some industrial spurs sharing paved facilities with automotive traffic. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.