News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mid-country Trip musings.-- part 2

Started by thenetwork, June 29, 2016, 09:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Random thoughts on my trip thru Michigan, Ohio, Chicago, Indiana and Illinois...

OHIO:
-- I-71 from Columbus to Cleveland was an enjoyable ride -- smooth and nice cruising at 70 MPH up to A CUYAHOGA County.  As usual, freeways and streets in Cleveland suck with too many bumps.

SR-2 still has areas of unmarked exits (no exit numbers).

Still some areas of button copy, especially on SR-10 west of the turnpike.

I-75 thru Toledo is a mess...STILL!

MICHIGAN:

Sad to see Clearview on so much signage.  And the demise of underlined cardinal directions and full exit tabs on the BGSs.

Wayne County -- Surprised at many  intersections along Telegraph and Plymouth Roads that are now single 3 or 4 segment lights on poles/masts.  A lot of FYAS with lagging green arrows.

I-94 -- drove it to Indiana midday and was surprised it wasn't as jammed as my previous trips, nor was I not forced to ride the left lane at 80+ MPH to avoid being stuck in the right lane.  Definitely needs a 3rd lane for those times.

INDIANA --

I-94 was a mess east of the Toll Road but it was moving.

CHICAGO:  Due to time constraints, I took the Toll Road from the I-80 split over the Skyway to the Dan Ryan.  BIG MISTAKE for those out of staters who can't make an EZ or I-PASS work for them because they live out west.  Wit cash tolls around Chicagoland TWICE that of I-pass in most cases, it cost me $7.20 to bypass the Borman and the Ford (The ITR looked very unkept west of I-65) and over $10 to ride I-88 to Iowa (although it was a nice drive with a lot less traffic than I-80 west of Chicagoland.

Iowa, Nebraska and maybe Colorado in part 3.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.