News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Magical Place of Destiny

Started by US 89, October 24, 2017, 10:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Why is the word "a l a n l a n d" being replaced with "Magical Place of Destiny"? It's not even April Fools...

freebrickproductions

Quote from: roadguy2 on October 24, 2017, 10:24:48 PM
Why is the word "Magical Place of Destiny" being replaced with "Magical Place of Destiny"? It's not even April Fools...
You might want to check your post. ;)

Though, for those curious, the word being filtered (without spaces) is A l a n l a n d.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US 89

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 24, 2017, 10:27:54 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on October 24, 2017, 10:24:48 PM
Why is the word "Magical Place of Destiny" being replaced with "Magical Place of Destiny"? It's not even April Fools...
You might want to check your post. ;)

Though, for those curious, the word being filtered (without spaces) is A l a n l a n d.

That's what I meant...didn't even think about that.  :pan:

Alps

NE2

Because goat.

Please lock all shitty threads.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

You can still type "Alanland" if you know how. (This also applies to other "forbidden words," though I'm not inclined to use either of the two such words of which I am aware.) I'm not encouraging you to do so, of course, and I harbor no nostalgia for the original thread because I didn't follow it and I seldom look at the "Fictional Highways" section.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 25, 2017, 09:49:35 AM
You can still type "Alanland" if you know how. (This also applies to other "forbidden words," though I'm not inclined to use either of the two such words of which I am aware.) I'm not encouraging you to do so, of course, and I harbor no nostalgia for the original thread because I didn't follow it and I seldom look at the "Fictional Highways" section.

What are those two forbidden words? One I know gets automatically changed to "hep cat," but I never knew there was another forbidden word.

I guess I will have to go look at Fictional to see if the title of the "A l a nland" thread got changed as well.

But it would appear that that thread has become so ingrained in the culture of this forum that it will and will not forever remain a topic of discussion. It's what the Perkins Empire wishes it had become.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2017, 10:20:58 AM

What are those two forbidden words? One I know gets automatically changed to "hep cat," but I never knew there was another forbidden word.

I guess I will have to go look at Fictional to see if the title of the "A l a nland" thread got changed as well.

But it would appear that that thread has become so ingrained in the culture of this forum that it will and will not forever remain a topic of discussion. It's what the Perkins Empire wishes it had become.  :-D

Other censored words or phrases:

NE2's common statement about a certain person (or as someone else called it, "xenophobic tushy jester") becomes "mezzanine"
A word that becomes "genius" if not part of another word ("Scunthorpe" is fine)
1-size font and white text for Tapatalk messages is also done by a filter
could of, would of, should of all get corrected to "have"

And yes, the original 80-page thread got changed, too.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

formulanone

It's right next to Yeehaw Junction, another type of questionably-magical place:

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 1 on October 25, 2017, 10:31:48 AM

:confused:

Not for me, it didn't. I even force-refreshed it, to clear my cache, and it still comes up with [the word that shall not be named.] I'm pretty sure the new filter only applies to posts made after the filter was implemented.

1995hoo

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 25, 2017, 12:07:06 PM

:confused:

Not for me, it didn't. I even force-refreshed it, to clear my cache, and it still comes up with [the word that shall not be named.] I'm pretty sure the new filter only applies to posts made after the filter was implemented.

I don't think that's the case. The PM I sent to MCRoads with the link to the original thread about said place now says "Magical Place of Destiny," even with a forced refresh, and I sent that PM prior to the institution of the new filter.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MNHighwayMan

To triple-check, I even loaded the thread in Microsoft Edge (a browser I never use) and it still came up with [the original word.]

Something strange is going on.

adventurernumber1

The long, original thread has been changed to Magical Place of Destiny for me.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on October 25, 2017, 12:15:04 AM
Because we're tired of it.

Wait...but according to this https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7720.msg171562#msg171562 you were in total awe of it.  Are you saying you're flip-flopping on this issue?  What are you, a politician?  Politicians, no matter what the subject, or the length of time, are never ever allowed to flip-flop on an issue.  I think you want my taxes to go up too.  I'm voting for the other guy!

Mr. Matté

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2017, 10:20:58 AM

Other censored words or phrases:

NE2's common statement about a certain person (or as someone else called it, "xenophobic tushy jester") becomes "mezzanine"
A word that becomes "genius" if not part of another word ("Scunthorpe" is fine)
1-size font and white text for Tapatalk messages is also done by a filter
could of, would of, should of all get corrected to "have"

When I was quoting what a short-tempered SUV driver yelled to me while I was riding my bike, I was apparently called a "lorry."

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 25, 2017, 01:10:11 PM

Wait...but according to this https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7720.msg171562#msg171562 you were in total awe of it.  Are you saying you're flip-flopping on this issue?  What are you, a politician?  Politicians, no matter what the subject, or the length of time, are never ever allowed to flip-flop on an issue.  I think you want my taxes to go up too.  I'm voting for the other guy!

He was in awe on page 1.  That doesn't mean he was still in awe after 80 pages of Alanlandic nonsense.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Especially when the last 20 pages were just mind-numbingly uninspired.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

DTComposer

As I went to see how it displayed for me (it does read Magical Place of Destiny) I saw this quote from vdeane about halfway down the first page and find it amusing five years later, given recent events:

Many people in the US seem to think that Puerto Rico is a foreign country for some reason.  I guess if it's not a state and speaks Spanish people assume it can't be a part of the US.

kphoger

Quote from: Takumi on October 25, 2017, 02:44:48 PM

Agreed.  During my recent read-through of the original thread, it stopped being engaging at page 53, and I just plain stopped reading a few pages after that.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on October 25, 2017, 02:53:55 PM

Agreed.  During my recent read-through of the original thread, it stopped being engaging at page 53, and I just plain stopped reading a few pages after that.

That's entirely my fault. I joined on August 8, 2013. Page 53 begins on August 31, 2013. I didn't know how that thread was supposed to work, so I posted in it without realizing I wasn't following what the previous pages did.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on October 25, 2017, 02:56:31 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 25, 2017, 02:53:55 PM

That's entirely my fault. I joined on August 8, 2013. Page 53 begins on August 31, 2013. I didn't know how that thread was supposed to work, so I posted in it without realizing I wasn't following what the previous pages did.

Dude, I hardly think you can blame yourself for single-handedly sabotaging a thread whose OP was full of ignorant blather and which became nothing but nonsense within the first three pages.  Alanland was probably just running out of gas by that point.
Male pronouns, please.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on October 25, 2017, 01:47:38 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 25, 2017, 01:10:11 PM

He was in awe on page 1.  That doesn't mean he was still in awe after 80 pages of Alanlandic nonsense.

No doubt.  Completely in jest.

I was making more of a joke the next time someone harps on a politician for being in favor of something 30 years ago, when such subject was more socially acceptable to be in favor of.

jp the roadgeek

Can a mod please change the OP of the Magical Place of Destiny thread to TheMagicalPlace360?  Thank you.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 25, 2017, 12:14:48 PM
To triple-check, I even loaded the thread in Microsoft Edge (a browser I never use) and it still came up with [the original word.]

Something strange is going on.
You might have your filter turned off.

MNHighwayMan

I checked the settings and so I do. Didn't even realize that was an option until now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.