News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hi viatologists...

Started by hbelkins, August 16, 2022, 12:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Over the years, a number of you have linked to my YouTube video re-presenting the infamous Calrog US 31W video in which he sings his ode to "US Federal Route 31-Dub" and pays homage to a little green shrub. I had snagged the video off his site and uploaded it to YouTube.

The video has been removed from YouTube and I now have a copyright strike that will expire in 90 days. Carl Rogers filed a copyright claim against the video and YouTube took it down.

I have no idea whether his wwtl.info garbage is copyrighted or not, and I have no means by which to mount a challenge, so I'm not going to contest it.

I can't find his original video on his site, and it was a couple of laptops ago when I saved the original video, so it may not be backed up anywhere.

Hopefully someone else has it and can re-upload it to a site where the hilarity can continue to be mocked for all eternity. I'll search my backups for it and if I have it, I'll upload it to the Millennium Highway Facebook page.

I honestly have no idea how he got wind that I had posted a copy of his video. I have had no contact with him for years, as he doesn't even post to what's left of MTR anymore.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

YouTube only checks that content matches something that already exists and that they had it first. You can typically appeal fair use, not that they always know what fair use is themselves.

There have been stories of people getting copyright strikes for things in the public domain (e.g. Beethoven), but those typically get reversed on appeal with greater success than fair use appeals.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Does this mean Calrog is releasing the long awaited Little Green Shrub remix single?

vdeane

^ It's probably more like Disney and Song of the South where the aim is to bury a work they don't want the world to see.

IMO such use of copyright should be illegal.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

I still remember when the movie version of Little Green Shrub came out:

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on August 16, 2022, 12:20:07 PM
YouTube only checks that content matches something that already exists and that they had it first. You can typically appeal fair use, not that they always know what fair use is themselves.

The entirety or majority of someone else's work, no matter how vacuous, stupid, or pointless is still a meritless Fair Use case. But Fair Use might be a short sample of it; but the purpose is not intended to preserve something elsewhere, just because it doesn't exist on YouTube (or anywhere else), for that matter.

Copyright is implied, not something you request, unless expired or based on an already public-domain or other freely-usable work. So anything on that site is copyright unless otherwise disclosed. "Yeah, but it's the Internet!" is not a valid argument.

I feel like I'm coming to the aid of calcacolacrocsonic, or whatever the name is, and that makes me want to lay down.

hbelkins

Out of morbid curiosity, I checked MTR and lo and behold, Calrog has emerged...

https://groups.google.com/g/misc.transport.road/c/xZZc9_zlAWc

If you don't have Google Groups access, here's the post:

Apparently some people miss the memo in life. It's a simple rule too. Don't steal another person's content... Should be simple, right?

Well, for whatever reason, H.B. Elkins thought he was exempt from this rule. He stole my video of US Federal Route 31W and uploaded it into his personal collection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNenadZFOoU

H.B., you were wrong. And as such, you can click that link all day long and be reminded of your wrongdoing.

Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you can take their creative works and steal it. Whatever hillbilly moralistic narrative you had in your head does won't pan out in the real world.

To all the honest folks out there, you're always welcome to see this video at the Worldwide Transportation Library (WWTL):

https://wwtl.info/#us-31wv.html

We pride ourselves on respecting the copyrights of Internet creators. You're more than welcome to flip into our Map Mode to see a wide variety of Kentucky highway photos and videos.

It's a great big world and we accept you for who you are, wherever you may be.

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
"Environment first, transportology second"
Worldwide Transportation Library (WWTL):
https://wwtl.info
https://m.wwtl.info [Mobile]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Complete coverage of international roads and railways.
Since 2000, we have offered several photographs, videos and
Virtual 360 captures -- to each viatologist & transportologist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know whether to engage and tell him I didn't "steal" his video, but shared it so it could be appropriately mocked, or just let him think he accomplished something by getting it removed.

He was kind enough to post a link to it, however, which means I can snag it again and share it somewhere else where it can be ridiculed as it should be.

I guess poor Carl is too clueless to know when he's being made fun of.

hbelkins

And on top of it all, he's still paying a PR firm to pimp his site.

https://www.prweb.com/releases/2022/8/prweb18841288.htm#

Max Rockatansky

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 16, 2022, 04:28:23 PM
Transportology?

It's viatology but for all modes of travel!

(I guess; I don't have a clue what it's supposed to mean.)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on August 16, 2022, 05:03:40 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 16, 2022, 04:28:23 PM
Transportology?

It's viatology but for all modes of travel!

(I guess; I don't have a clue what it's supposed to mean.)

So basically the Calrog equivalent of the AASHO becoming the AASHTO.

Takumi

Environmentology first, does won't pan out second.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hotdogPi

I'm still with formulanone. Since this doesn't appear to be fair use (I previously wasn't sure if the short clip was the entire thing or a short segment of something longer), this is a copyright violation. If you host it elsewhere, it will still violate copyright.

Copyright isn't going to expire any time soon. If a particular law in 1976 hadn't been passed, it would last 28 years, and I believe the video is old enough that it would only be a few more years. However, due to that law, it's the life of the author plus 70 years, or possibly 95 years from creation (I can't quite tell which category it falls under).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

formulanone and 1 are correct. Regardless of the reason for doing it, taking someone's complete video and reposting it (as opposed to providing a link to its original location) violates the video creator's copyright, and it doesn't have to have been registered before copyright applies. Whether he had to be so abrasive about it is a separate matter.

Edited to add: It is mildly amusing that if you search YouTube for "hbelkins" it asks if you meant "Belkins."  :-D
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US 89

I would recommend downloading that video to your computer should he decide he doesn't want it up on his site anymore.

Max Rockatansky

All this talk about Federal Highways got me inspired to catch up on some to-do list writing:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/08/federal-highway-gua-10d-southern.html

Scott5114

Now, what probably would be kosher is if we got one of the members of the community with actual musical talent to do a cover of it. :-D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 16, 2022, 07:32:47 PM
Now, what probably would be kosher is if we got one of the members of the community with actual musical talent to do a cover of it. :-D

I want the Little Green Shrub metal cover.

hbelkins

I'm tempted to repost it with commentary interspersed within, which would make it "fair use."

Quote from: 1 on August 16, 2022, 05:38:30 PMIf you host it elsewhere, it will still violate copyright.

Ask me how much I care about violating that nincompoop's copyright. There's a reason he's the most ridiculed person in MTR history.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on August 16, 2022, 12:36:35 PM
^ It's probably more like Disney and Song of the South where the aim is to bury a work they don't want the world to see.

I have a complete copy of that. On DVD, no less.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dougtone

I'll need to see if I still have the Federal Route File Not Found video floating around. That may be the best of the Calrog parody videos, especially with the unscripted and totally random part with the woman driving by yelling "Hey sexy! Wooooo!"

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on August 16, 2022, 07:41:35 PM
I'm tempted to repost it with commentary interspersed within, which would make it "fair use."

Quote from: 1 on August 16, 2022, 05:38:30 PMIf you host it elsewhere, it will still violate copyright.

Ask me how much I care about violating that nincompoop's copyright. There's a reason he's the most ridiculed person in MTR history.

Other than cragnagabog calling every US Route a "Federal Route", his Very Special viatrollogy word, what's the big deal that you can't handle like adults? Any serious challenges to your job, livelihood, roadgeek cred, or just some Internet arguments that he's failed to acknowledge that are over ten years old?

He's avoided most of the Facebook groups and seems to avoided this hangout altogether. He spares the world most of the nonsense anymore by just spouting harmlessly into his own little oddball corner of the Internet. It seems he's the equivalent of a chain letter writer, but one who really only addresses the mail to himself to feel important.

You're better than that.

Duke87

Quote from: US 89 on August 16, 2022, 06:58:52 PM
I would recommend downloading that video to your computer should he decide he doesn't want it up on his site anymore.

Here's a direct link to the file to make that as simple as a right click and save as: https://wwtl.info/us-31w.mp4
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on August 16, 2022, 12:16:45 PM
I honestly have no idea how he got wind that I had posted a copy of his video. I have had no contact with him for years, as he doesn't even post to what's left of MTR anymore.

It seems like it wasn't really a secret that some people were posting his videos without his permission.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bandit957

I saved a copy of one of his videos years and years ago, but I don't remember if it was that one.

On the other hand, his doings were far from the worst thing occurring on the Internet at the time.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.