News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Freeway Shooter on I-696

Started by MDOTFanFB, January 31, 2011, 10:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDOTFanFB

Was just watching the 10:00 news on WJBK, found out about a person who shot at three cars on I-696 near Coolidge in Oak Park!  :pan:  This is bizzare! Have there ever been any other "freeway shooters"?

Alps

Famous case of the DC Sniper a few years ago.

J N Winkler

It's been a while, but I don't remember Muhammad and Malvo shooting on the freeways--their sniper crouch was in the trunk of an old (1970's vintage) Impala, and they took aim at people at gas stations, in parking lots, etc.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alps

I Googled it and came up with Los Angeles as the location of the freeway shootings.  (DC snipers used the Beltway but only for travel.)  I was certain there was something on the east coast...

Hot Rod Hootenanny

We had a freeway shooter here in Columbus back in 2003-4. Targeted the southside along I-270 for the most part (also shot a couple of cars along I-71 between C-bus and Jeffersonville).
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

mightyace

^^^

I remember that.  To this day, my brother is leery about driving I-270 on the south side of Columbus.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

ysuindy

DAL764

I'm fairly certain there was a case of a sniper on I-295 in Jacksonville in the early 90's who killed one person and injured another, though I can't remember where and when I read about that.

hm insulators

Many years ago, there was a spate of freeway shooters in Los Angeles.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

berberry

I can remember a bizarre sequence of freeway shootings back in the late '80s, or maybe early '90s, along I-20 in Jackson.  It was just east of the Ellis Avenue interchange.  I can't remember how long it went on, but I do remember that police finally caught the guy in the motel he'd been shooting from.

golden eagle

Quote from: berberry on March 05, 2011, 02:51:53 PM
I can remember a bizarre sequence of freeway shootings back in the late '80s, or maybe early '90s, along I-20 in Jackson.  It was just east of the Ellis Avenue interchange.  I can't remember how long it went on, but I do remember that police finally caught the guy in the motel he'd been shooting from.

I do remember one in the mid-90s from I-20/Ellis Avenue area. This guy went inside the old IHOP building and started shooting. He shot a newspaper reporter in the shoulder as she was standing at a hotel nearby. One many on I-20, though, was struck and killed. The man supposedly was trying to start a racial holy war. Thankfully, he didn't get that far.

I was at Southern Mississippi at the time and some friends of mine and I were planning on being in Jackson that day, perhaps in the same general area at the time of the shooting. Good thing we didn't go!

golden eagle

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 31, 2011, 11:23:11 PM
It's been a while, but I don't remember Muhammad and Malvo shooting on the freeways--their sniper crouch was in the trunk of an old (1970's vintage) Impala, and they took aim at people at gas stations, in parking lots, etc.

I knew a guy who served in the military with John Muhammad. The guy said Muhammad was quite off his rocker at the time, but was extremely reliable and did everything with precision if asked to do something.

berberry

Quote from: golden eagle on March 05, 2011, 03:13:21 PM

I do remember one in the mid-90s from I-20/Ellis Avenue area.

Sounds like the same case, and your memory is probably better than mine on the date since you remember where you were living.  My recall of the event is very sketchy.

hobsini2

About a year/year and a half ago, there was a sniper that was on the Cline Ave freeway (Ind 912) in Gary shooting at cars.  Turned out that the sniper was using a BB rifle.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kaothinterceptor

This is news to me, and I live right next to I-696.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.