News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Gassing Up?

Started by Bryant5493, July 26, 2011, 02:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryant5493

How often do you fill up your vehicle? I try to go at least five days between fill-ups.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Truvelo

I get 650 miles out of a tank so I fill up every 2 work days.
Speed limits limit life

agentsteel53

I have had it happen where I get off I-10 in West Texas, get gas, get back on the freeway, set cruise control to 84...

312 miles later, get off I-10 ...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Tough for me to answer that because I have two cars (my wife has another) and I work out of the home office. I generally fill up my primary car twice a month these days, sometimes more, sometimes less, and I fill up the other perhaps once a month. But it depends on the weather and the circumstances because the car I drive less often is a 1988 RX-7 convertible. When the weather's nice, I drive it more often and fill up more, but when the weather is lousy (say, last week with the 121°F heat index) it doesn't get driven. Obviously vacations or other trips are an exception to the general fillup pattern. If we drive up to Hershey for a Bears game (280 miles roundtrip), I'll be filling the tank sooner than I would if we stayed in the DC area.

I've had situations like agentsteel describes, but I tend to get closer to 400 miles when I'm on the highway (versus around 280 in the city). My record for miles on a single tank was 455 (Portland, Maine, to the last exit on I-78 before it meets I-81). Days when I drive far enough to fill the tank more than once are rare lately.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Commuting I can go about 3 weeks between fillups. On a trip with reasonable highway driving I can go about 8-10 hours between fillups. I've been known to put in an entire 14 hour day without needing to stop for gas once. (Average 30 mph, but with steady driving, and somehow my car liked it)

corco

I tend to drive to Phoenix and back at least once a week and then have a 26 mile round trip commute 5 other times a week- so I probably log 450 miles a week these days, which requires me to fill up every 4-5 days.

That doesn't even count my Jeep which is now Phoenix-based and used exclusively for errand running in Phoenix and highway clinching. That gets filled up probably once every two weeks on average.

Bryant5493

Actually, today I was going into my sixth day. I filled up on the 20th of this month, so I'm doing pretty good on gas. Today, I found out my car has a gas light on it. ;-) (My Dodge Neon died on me three weeks ago; now I have an '11 Dodge Avenger.)

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

corco

Oooo...how do you like the new Avenger? I've valeted several and they seem really nice- especially the interiors. I haven't driven one more than 20 MPH though

Duke87

Just commuting, every two weeks.

Of course, other adventures often shorten the interval. Especially if I have to use my car for work in a non-commuting fashion (which I don't mind and in fact enjoy, since the standard rate at which I get reimbursed for my mileage exceeds my actual costs, and thus I make money off of it - pre-tax to boot!).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

oscar

While my Prius can easily go 400 miles or more between refuelings, even with its tiny 11-gallon gas tank, sometimes when I'm driving long distances through places with few gas stations, I'll have multiple fillups in one day.  For example, about two weeks ago, I refueled in Baker NV, Cedar City UT, and Kayenta AZ in one day, just to make absolutely sure I wouldn't run low on fuel out in the middle of nowhere.  (The stop at the Border Inn in Baker NV was mainly to shop for US 50 souvenirs, and I didn't have to refuel to make it to Cedar City, but I topped off the tank anyway.)

If I'm just puttering around town, I can go at least two or three weeks between refuelings.   

I put very few miles on my truck between the few road trips when I need it (for camping, snow, or bad-road driving), and so it often goes for months without a trip to the gas station.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JREwing78

I drive 80-200 miles a day for work (80 if I go straight to work and home, more if I have to make side trips or visit job sites). My tanks typically last 2-4 days and 320-360 miles. I'm on track to exceed 30,000 miles in a year.

When my wife and I were still dating, and we lived in different states, I'd routinely rack up 700-800 miles every 2nd to 3rd weekend traveling to visit her.

I haven't owned a car with an automatic or more than 4 cylinders in 9 years, so at least I tend to get around 30mpg.

yanksfan6129

My commute alone, with maybe another short trip, requires me to gas up about once per week.

golden eagle

Depending on when I get it, I can go once a week. I don't do much driving during the week since I have a ten-minute commute. With gas prices, I try not to get too much below half a tank.

Bryant5493

Quote from: corco on July 26, 2011, 08:18:25 PM
Oooo...how do you like the new Avenger? I've valeted several and they seem really nice- especially the interiors. I haven't driven one more than 20 MPH though

The Avenger's nice. It's got nice pick-up speed; much, much better than the Neon. It has a very nice, soft cloth interior. I also like the grille. A lot of folks like. One worker at Chick-fil-A -- in the drive-thru -- asked me if it was a Charger, as they have a similar look.

Be well,

Bryant

ftballfan

I don't fill up that often, because most of my driving is city driving (especially during the summer). During the school year, I make the 220 mile round trip journey home about every other weekend or so. I usually seem to get at least 300 miles per tank, although I did get 421 miles once. My car's tank is 16 gallons.

Brandon

Quote from: Bryant5493 on July 26, 2011, 02:29:09 PM
How often do you fill up your vehicle? I try to go at least five days between fill-ups.

Be well,

Bryant

If I don't drive any extra, every five days with a 33 mile commute one way.  In my new car (2011 Dodge Caliber), that's one gallon each way on a 13.6 gallon tank (got the stick, and I tend to drive easy in city traffic - car's rated for 24 city/32 highway, but I don't see under 30, and manage 35 highway).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Quote from: ftballfan on July 27, 2011, 05:41:20 PM
I don't fill up that often, because most of my driving is city driving (especially during the summer). During the school year, I make the 220 mile round trip journey home about every other weekend or so. I usually seem to get at least 300 miles per tank, although I did get 421 miles once. My car's tank is 16 gallons.

This part sounds counterintuitive because so many cars get worse fuel economy in city driving as opposed to on the highway. Or do you mean that most of your trips are short urban drives so that you don't go far enough to require a fillup?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ftballfan

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 28, 2011, 09:06:32 AM
Quote from: ftballfan on July 27, 2011, 05:41:20 PM

This part sounds counterintuitive because so many cars get worse fuel economy in city driving as opposed to on the highway. Or do you mean that most of your trips are short urban drives so that you don't go far enough to require a fillup?
I mean that most of my trips are short urban drives.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.