Best way to hit Vermont between NYC and NH

Started by mariethefoxy, July 21, 2015, 01:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 04, 2015, 05:03:08 PM
I'm back from that trip, it was quite a slow and seemingly endless ride across NH to finally get to Vermont compared to I-84, the Mass Pike, and I-495 (Massachusetts one, however I was on two I-495's that day) which I used to get up there.

Yes, if you've never driven it before, NH can be surprisingly wide going across the south end of it. And if you're the sort who's more interested in zooming along CT freeways than idling through small New England towns, I guess that would seem even more interminable.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 04, 2015, 05:03:08 PMFor some reason I-95 in New Hampshire (went to Maine one of the days) was completely backed up at 9pm on a Sunday! I ended up taking NH 101 to Everett Tpke to get back instead of waiting in endless traffic to get to I-495.

The answer is right there on the Maine license plates: Vacationland.

Hereabouts, people who go away for summer weekends tend to head to either the Cape or the mountains/lakes, the latter being primarily destinations in New Hampshire and Maine.  On the New Hampshire Turnpike you get not only the Maine vacationers returning, but also that from the east side of the White Mountains and Lakes Region of New Hampshire.  There is a repeat of this fiasco come late September when the leaf peepers go up and back for a month.

I'll still take it over the Cape traffic, which funnels through just two exit points and then piles up again on the undersized Route 3 further north.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: empirestate on August 04, 2015, 06:49:32 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 04, 2015, 05:03:08 PM
I'm back from that trip, it was quite a slow and seemingly endless ride across NH to finally get to Vermont compared to I-84, the Mass Pike, and I-495 (Massachusetts one, however I was on two I-495's that day) which I used to get up there.

Yes, if you've never driven it before, NH can be surprisingly wide going across the south end of it. And if you're the sort who's more interested in zooming along CT freeways than idling through small New England towns, I guess that would seem even more interminable.

One time I saw someone whizz past me on Route 15 who had to be going 90+ since I'm doing 70 in the right lane and he's easily flying by.

Duke87

Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 04, 2015, 09:32:13 PM

One time I saw someone whizz past me on Route 15 who had to be going 90+ since I'm doing 70 in the right lane and he's easily flying by.

Ha. Yeah, that's the parkway alright. Pretty much no enforcement of anything ever and the locals know it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

Quote from: Duke87 on August 04, 2015, 11:19:10 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 04, 2015, 09:32:13 PM

Ha. Yeah, that's the parkway alright. Pretty much no enforcement of anything ever and the locals know it.

Yup; when I drive it I typically hang out in the right lane going a little above the speed limit, and I almost never hit any traffic because it all just zooms past me. Unfortunately that technique doesn't work quite as well on the Interstates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.