News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

https://www.enr.com/articles/46542-finalists-selected-for-new-planned-814m-tampa-bay-bridge
Finalists Selected For New Planned $814M Tampa Bay Bridge

Florida selected three joint-venture finalists to build the $814-million Howard Frankland bridge, a long causeway structure across Tampa Bay, late last month.

The competitors had an opportunity to score a possible 20 points in the first phase. A team of Granite Construction Co. and Boh Bros. had the highest Phase 1 score, 18.8. Another team, Archer Western and Traylor Bros., scored 16.4; Kiewit and Massman Constructors scored 16.2.

The Florida Dept. of Transportation will pay each of the shortlisted competitors a $1.5-million stipend.

A fourth competitor, BRIJ Group, consisting of Lane Construction Corp., Johnson Bros. Corp., WGI, Hardesty & Hanover and Volkert, failed to make the short list. It was given a Phase 1 score of only 14.8.

Phase 2 involves the technical proposal and has a potential 80 points, split about evenly between design and construction.

The project calls for construction of a 5.8-mile causeway bridge between Pinellas and Hillsborough counties, for southbound and westbound traffic. The existing southbound/westbound bridge will be converted to the new northbound/eastbound I-275.

Technical proposals are due in early August and price proposals are due Oct. 8 with final award anticipated a month later, according to FDOT's project website.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kevinb1994

Quote from: Beltway on March 20, 2019, 09:39:38 PM
https://www.enr.com/articles/46542-finalists-selected-for-new-planned-814m-tampa-bay-bridge
Finalists Selected For New Planned $814M Tampa Bay Bridge

Florida selected three joint-venture finalists to build the $814-million Howard Frankland bridge, a long causeway structure across Tampa Bay, late last month.

The competitors had an opportunity to score a possible 20 points in the first phase. A team of Granite Construction Co. and Boh Bros. had the highest Phase 1 score, 18.8. Another team, Archer Western and Traylor Bros., scored 16.4; Kiewit and Massman Constructors scored 16.2.

The Florida Dept. of Transportation will pay each of the shortlisted competitors a $1.5-million stipend.

A fourth competitor, BRIJ Group, consisting of Lane Construction Corp., Johnson Bros. Corp., WGI, Hardesty & Hanover and Volkert, failed to make the short list. It was given a Phase 1 score of only 14.8.

Phase 2 involves the technical proposal and has a potential 80 points, split about evenly between design and construction.

The project calls for construction of a 5.8-mile causeway bridge between Pinellas and Hillsborough counties, for southbound and westbound traffic. The existing southbound/westbound bridge will be converted to the new northbound/eastbound I-275.

Technical proposals are due in early August and price proposals are due Oct. 8 with final award anticipated a month later, according to FDOT's project website.

Thanks for the post, I had forgotten about this project entirely. It will be included as part of my proposed 2023 Tampa Bay Area Road Meet.

roadman65

Glad they are getting that done.  Now with these two express lanes each way proposed and will be reality soon, that will not fit into the current Gateway Express Project building express lanes from Gandy to 4th which will be only one lane each way.

That will no doubt cause a bottleneck Pinnelas Bound as it will all have to funnel in at the end.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

I just found out tonight that the southbound I-75 bridge over US 98/FL 50 is finally opened, but it's still only two lanes wide in both directions.  So they're still not done with all the construction.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Finally clinched every paved mile of A1A! ...except I didn't take the Mayport Ferry.

I'd clinched the other segment north of SR 105, which looped around Fernandina Beach and then back to Callahan a few years earlier. So I didn't think the ferry price was necessary; besides, that would take me away from backing out and clinching nearby SRs 101 and 116.

FDOT straight-line diagrams don't count the ferry in the mileage. Neither does Travel Mapping. The ferry is operated by JTA - Jacksonville Transit Authority - not Florida Department of Transportation.

What's your take on this?

NE2

Quote from: formulanone on April 14, 2019, 11:45:05 AM
FDOT straight-line diagrams don't count the ferry in the mileage. Neither does Travel Mapping. The ferry is operated by JTA - Jacksonville Transit Authority - not Florida Department of Transportation.

FDOT has put up signs that call the ferry A1A.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Well if AASHTO considers now the SS Badger to be part of US 10, then the ferry here should be it.  I wish the DRBA would let the three remaining ships of theirs to be US Route 9 as I am sure that AASHTO won't mind if one other vessel is another US route.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: NE2 on April 14, 2019, 02:54:10 PM
Quote from: formulanone on April 14, 2019, 11:45:05 AM

FDOT has put up signs that call the ferry A1A.

This one has been present on the south side of the St. John's River for years:

https://flic.kr/p/TAm1pj

Mergingtraffic

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7608622,-80.3858828,3a,75y,71.87h,82.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s23WrmZ4hfIIeU2KX3nknKA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm guessing the US-41 button copy sign is in danger.  Anybody know what they're doing here? Adding a lane?

and these have been replaced at the Exit 50 SB off-ramp for I-95.  Replaced with regulatory right turn only signs.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

formulanone

I'd never spent a whole lot of time in Jacksonville until two weeks ago, where I was able to finally drive a round and catch up with some SR clinching - I'd mostly just gone to the beaches and hit up the major roads for many years.

I'm curious about this "FL 5" I found two weeks ago in Jacksonville - what is FL 5 doing here near the north end of FL 13? Was US 1 moved at some point, to join up with nearby US 90 (perhaps taking its hidden number)? Street View doesn't show this duo.

This is just south of the Acosta Bridge, where it ducks under I-95 and zig-zags slightly south west. There's another standalone FL 5 sign but then you never see it again.

NE2

Officially US 1 and US 90 have been on I-95 forever. I guess signage has finally been moved.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: formulanone on April 25, 2019, 08:05:36 AM
I'd never spent a whole lot of time in Jacksonville until two weeks ago, where I was able to finally drive a round and catch up with some SR clinching - I'd mostly just gone to the beaches and hit up the major roads for many years.

I'm curious about this "FL 5" I found two weeks ago in Jacksonville - what is FL 5 doing here near the north end of FL 13? Was US 1 moved at some point, to join up with nearby US 90 (perhaps taking its hidden number)? Street View doesn't show this duo.

This is just south of the Acosta Bridge, where it ducks under I-95 and zig-zags slightly south west. There's another standalone FL 5 sign but then you never see it again.

I'll be danged.  FDOT listened to me from back in the day!!

When I saw the initial signage plans for the reconstruction of the Overland Bridge area and saw some major mistakes, I sent them an email on this subject back in 2012!

I also found this signage on the Main Street Bridge ramps to I-95 showing US-1 & US-90 for the first time ever: https://goo.gl/maps/LnYqWAWsssuYW8jp7

Also there's this signage @ the reconfigured connection for US-1 to I-95 showing people to use it and not the surface streets: https://goo.gl/maps/dnWX6crgzxW4W7Wk6

BTW formulanone, can you post exact links to where you found each FL-5 shield in StreetView (even though they aren't there yet as you mentioned above)?  Would love to keep track and see when/if Google updates the imagery there again. :)

formulanone

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 25, 2019, 10:11:12 PM
BTW formulanone, can you post exact links to where you found each FL-5 shield in StreetView (even though they aren't there yet as you mentioned above)?  Would love to keep track and see when/if Google updates the imagery there again. :)

Sure, this is where I found the SR 5/13 duo: Street View link

This is where I found the other FL 5 shield, which seems to be on the right track. I turned right just before this sign for the SR 13 (Hendricks Avenue).

roadman65

So US 1 & 90 now use I-95 instead of Kings Avenue and Prudential Drive no more?

Also then the old routing of both is now still SR 5?

Sheryl Crowe

rickmastfan67

Quote from: roadman65 on April 26, 2019, 12:04:05 AM

They always should have, since that's what FDOT's GIS & the AASHTO log said they did.

FDOT's GIS data had always shown that to be solely FL-5's routing in town while US-1 was playing with I-95 there.

Here's a post I made back in 2010 on this subject.

roadman65

I agree about US 1 and 90 should have been on I-95 all along just as in Pasco SR 54 needs to be on I-75 and truncating SR 56 to I-75.  However for some reason they want to keep SR and CR 54 as one route despite in Zephyrhills CR 54 there is a spur of SR 54.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

It seems to me that this routing issue with putting US 1 on I-95 is more beneficial to northbound traffic rather than southbound traffic.  Folks headed north are more apt to getting onto US 1 as it veers out to Waycross and points northwest.  Folks headed south are more likely to hop onto I-95 at their first chance rather than following US 1 at that point.

emory

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 26, 2019, 04:22:27 AM

They always should have, since that's what FDOT's GIS & the AASHTO log said they did.

FDOT's GIS data had always shown that to be solely FL-5's routing in town while US-1 was playing with I-95 there.

Here's a post I made back in 2010 on this subject.

I'm surprised they don't just keep US 1/90 on I-95 up to Beaver Street and the MLK Parkway where they can exit and bypass downtown Jacksonville completely, then US 1 Alt. can be extended to the I-95/US 1 interchange.

Stephane Dumas

Google streetview posted some shots from last January showing one of the piers who'll be use for one of the future flyover ramps linking US-19 to the Gateway expressway.
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.8802714,-82.7130086,3a,30y,291.78h,89.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTJ6_TBQICiCHPIA_qkyo6w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Some plans showing the future interchanges are posted in this documents, they might had changed since then.
http://www.fdottampabay.com/project-files/433880-1-52-01-folder-590010090/Public%20Hearing%20Newsletter%20-%20February%2026%2C%202015.pdf

Brian556

New sign error SR 50 EB at CR 439. Assembly says SOUTH 439 --->, TO NORTH 439 [straight], which is incorrect. CR 439 does not go north of SR 50.
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5515019,-81.5431326,3a,15.2y,105.21h,89.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk0VUyUia-aMPOMzEIKGDUg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Brian556

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on May 04, 2019, 12:54:38 PM
New sign error SR 50 EB at CR 439. Assembly says SOUTH 439 --->, TO NORTH 439 [straight], which is incorrect. CR 439 does not go north of SR 50.
It does (on former SR 439) but it's not signed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.