News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fort Gordon(Augusta) to get new gate. Is I-20 new interchange next?

Started by afguy, May 12, 2018, 04:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

Considering all the growth that is expected to occur because of Cyber Command, a new direct connection to I-20 from Fort Gordon will be needed.

Quoterantham said there have been no formal studies conducted on the path that a Gate 6-to-I-20 corridor would follow, but he acknowledged the new interchange would likely fall somewhere in the middle of the seven-mile stretch between Columbia County's first two exits (or final two exits, depending on your perspective).

"It's going to have to be in there somewhere,"  said Grantham, noting Exit 183 is too far west to be convenient while Exit 190 already directs traffic toward Gate 1.

I'm no engineer, but a quick look at aerial images tells me the most logical interchange for a Gate 6 north-south connector would be at one of the existing overpasses: Baker Place Road and Louisville Road, the latter of those having the best straight-line trajectory to the installation's west side.

The new interchange has been the subject of quiet conversation between state, local and federal transportation officials since the Gate 6 concept was drawn up a few years ago. But the decibel volume is sure to increase along with the traffic volume at what will be the largest and busiest of the installation's three full-time access points (Gates 1 and 5 being the other two).

"I think there's room for good dialogue and conversation, because there is going to be some serious funding involved,"  Grantham said.

Expect the new interchange to be on the wish list when it comes time to discussing projects in Transportation Investment Act "Part 2."  Local sales tax dollars likely would be used to leverage state and federal funding for a connection to Fort Gordon through Columbia County.

And that's somewhat ironic considering Columbia County voters said "nay"  to TIA in 2012. I doubt that will happen again, given the growth Army Cyber is pushing toward the county. Army surveys show the county is the destination of choice for more than two-thirds of cyber soldiers and employees.
http://www.augustachronicle.com/business/20180512/scuttlebiz-fort-gordon-to-get-new-gate-is-new-interchange-next

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.