News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Kroger announces layoffs

Started by golden eagle, October 04, 2019, 09:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

The Kroger Marketplaces in the Detroit area are all close to either a Meijer, Walmart or both.

catch22

Quote from: LM117 on October 17, 2019, 07:37:05 PM
Kroger closed all 14 of their stores in the Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) in North Carolina about a year ago. Their explanation was that the Triangle market was oversaturated and highly competitive. 8 of their buildings are becoming Harris Teeter and one a Food Lion.

Wegmans just opened a store in Raleigh not far from one of the former Kroger buildings and all the Northern transplants are flocking to it like moths on a light bulb.

Harris Teeter is owned by Kroger.

VTGoose

Kroger closed all 14 of their stores in the Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) in North Carolina about a year ago. Their explanation was that the Triangle market was oversaturated and highly competitive. 8 of their buildings are becoming Harris Teeter and one a Food Lion.

Wegmans just opened a store in Raleigh not far from one of the former Kroger buildings and all the Northern transplants are flocking to it like moths on a light bulb.

Kroger owns Harris Teeter but it remains a separate entity (as opposed to being brought into the Kroger family, a la Ralphs, Fred Meyer, Fry's et al). A number of years ago, Kroger did a store swap with Harris Teeter, trading its stores in North Carolina to Harris Teeter and taking over Harris Teeter stores in Virginia. Harris Teeter is a strong brand in North Carolina, so it isn't surprising that Kroger is converting its stores over.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

froggie

QuoteHarris Teeter is a strong brand in North Carolina, so it isn't surprising that Kroger is converting its stores over.

Talking 5-7 years ago now, but I found HT pretty solid in the Norfolk area as well.

KEVIN_224

I remember one fall how all six Stop & Shop supermarkets in New Hampshire all closed.

GCrites

Quote from: hbelkins on October 17, 2019, 06:45:48 PM
Quote from: GCrites80s on October 16, 2019, 10:19:45 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2019, 05:34:52 PM
Many of the Kroger stores in this area are going to the "Marketplace" concept where they're selling furniture and other items not normally associated with a grocery store.

That means the immediate vicinity is otherwise under-retailed.

Not hardly. The Richmond Kroger Marketplace is just down the street from a Lowes, a Walmart, and a number of other places. The west Frankfort location has both of those, plus JC Penney and a bunch of other places. East Frankfort is only a couple of miles from a fairly new development.

You can have all those things and still be under-retailed relative to a place like Florence.

LM117

Quote from: VTGoose on October 18, 2019, 08:42:39 AM

Kroger owns Harris Teeter but it remains a separate entity (as opposed to being brought into the Kroger family, a la Ralphs, Fred Meyer, Fry's et al). A number of years ago, Kroger did a store swap with Harris Teeter, trading its stores in North Carolina to Harris Teeter and taking over Harris Teeter stores in Virginia. Harris Teeter is a strong brand in North Carolina, so it isn't surprising that Kroger is converting its stores over.

I remember when Kroger had a store in Wilson, NC across the parking lot from Parkwood Wilson Mall (RIP). It was very short-lived. It was built in 2001 and closed in 2004. It had it's own gas station beside the store. The store building is still sitting there empty after all these years. The gas station has since been torn down, though.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.