News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

In Norway, the Journey Is the Destination

Started by cpzilliacus, October 16, 2017, 10:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: In Norway, the Journey Is the Destination - A writer finds emotional solace on some of Norway's scenic remote roads, which have been transformed into architectural wonders.

QuoteI was driving up a remote road in central Norway. To be more accurate, it was actually more like I was playing an advanced level video game. Eleven switchbacks were cut into the sheer mountainside, and my little white rental car shuddered up the narrow passes.

QuoteOnce part of the trade route that crisscrossed through the country, this passageway, called Trollstigen, or the troll's path, remains a spectacular example of the power of engineering in a remote region that is basically impassable from early November to May, when the snow falls.

QuoteEven while I tried to focus purely on the sharp bends ahead of me late last autumn, the beauty of my surroundings was still breathtaking: trees with brilliant gold, russet-red and pumpkin-orange leaves; dramatic sculptural mountain peaks stretching up into a lonely, foreboding sky; a silvery waterfall that cascades from the top of one of the adjacent cliffs; and a dramatic sunset that deepens and changes hues every second, with puffy clouds reflecting the last pink and fire-red rays.

Web site showing 18 scenic routes in Norway (in English) here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.