News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-57 Approved

Started by US71, October 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abqtraveler

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 02, 2023, 05:53:04 PM
And preliminary schedule indicates 2027 for completing that segment.  They'll likely be moving dirt on the segment between Walnut Ridge and Corning by then.
That's a long time for them to reconstruct the Jacksonville section, especially given that it's only about 2 miles long. I could see them taking 2 years, but 4? Why so long?
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Tomahawkin

Typical. 57 will not be completed until 2040 at this archaic rate. Oy!

edwaleni

Quote from: Tomahawkin on March 02, 2023, 09:39:37 PM
Typical. 57 will not be completed until 2040 at this archaic rate. Oy!

One part of the project says this...

There is $32 million identified in the 2021-2024 Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) for additional studies, design, and Right-of-Way acquisition that are necessary prior to construction of Future I-57. In the 2023-2026 Draft STIP, additional funds are included for the first segment of Future I-57.

Then another part says.....

While some funding is reserved for future project development such as final design and Right-of-Way acquisition, there is no funding secured for construction at this point.

Road Hog

Quote from: abqtraveler on March 02, 2023, 09:24:35 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on March 02, 2023, 05:53:04 PM
And preliminary schedule indicates 2027 for completing that segment.  They'll likely be moving dirt on the segment between Walnut Ridge and Corning by then.
That's a long time for them to reconstruct the Jacksonville section, especially given that it's only about 2 miles long. I could see them taking 2 years, but 4? Why so long?
It will involve lots of utility relocation, demolition and earthwork before they can even begin to lay concrete. It's not like the Exit 11-16 segment, which didn't require that much work and was done in less than two years. That's why they saved Jacksonville for last.

MikieTimT

This is where to keep abreast of the progress of Job CA0604, which is the Jacksonville US-67 replacement project.  Pretty much everything needs replacement and the access roads converted to 1-way on each side.

https://www.connectingarkansasprogram.com/corridors/highway-67-pulaski-lonoke-county/

Bobby5280

I wonder if AR DOT will try to get any work done on the I-57 segments North of Walnut Ridge during the years it's going to take to get the Jacksonville project completed.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 07, 2023, 01:59:01 PM
I wonder if AR DOT will try to get any work done on the I-57 segments North of Walnut Ridge during the years it's going to take to get the Jacksonville project completed.

Yes, but only on about the northern 1/3rd of it from the looks of the map on 2023-2026 Final STIP Pg. 254/276

edwaleni

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 07, 2023, 02:14:20 PM

Yes, but only on about the northern 1/3rd of it from the looks of the map on 2023-2026 Final STIP Pg. 254/276

They don't have a signed MOU from MoDOT on where they are meeting north of Corning, at least not that I can find.

MikieTimT

Quote from: edwaleni on March 07, 2023, 10:15:48 PM

They don't have a signed MOU from MoDOT on where they are meeting north of Corning, at least not that I can find.

They just last month came up with the preferred alternative on Arkansas' side, so I don't think it's to that point just yet.

ilpt4u

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 08, 2023, 12:18:33 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on March 07, 2023, 10:15:48 PM

They just last month came up with the preferred alternative on Arkansas' side, so I don't think it's to that point just yet.
Pretty sure MoDOT has their alignment down and set, except for the portion nearest the border where the MOU would apply.

Bobby5280

I would have figured AR DOT would start at Walnut Ridge and work its way Northeast with new I-57 construction. Take care of the segments skirting Pocahontas and then Corning after that. With as much time as it takes to build any new highways these days MoDOT would probably have their preferred location of the AR/MO border crossing identified before the Pocahontas bypass was even finished.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 08, 2023, 05:24:35 PM
I would have figured AR DOT would start at Walnut Ridge and work its way Northeast with new I-57 construction. Take care of the segments skirting Pocahontas and then Corning after that. With as much time as it takes to build any new highways these days MoDOT would probably have their preferred location of the AR/MO border crossing identified before the Pocahontas bypass was even finished.

The only bypass for Pocahontas in the 2023-2026 STIP is the northern one, unrelated to I-57.  It's going to be a while for I-57 other than the portion bypassing Corning up to the Missouri border, which is funded in 2026 to the tune of $100M.  The only other funding is $100K of project development for the rest of it north of Walnut Ridge up to Corning, so probably past 2030 at this rate barring some earmark assistance.  I think Arkansas is trying to avoid as much as possible another replay of the Bella Vista Bypass drama with Missouri having money, then not having it when Arkansas got their funding together and had to help get a fed grant to plug the funding gap back up on the Missouri side.

edwaleni

My guess is that ArDOT will use the early funding to connect the section with MoDOT *first* and then have it end west or north of Corning for some forseeable future.

This would avoid a Bella Vista repeat.

As for the lower section, it will take awhile to put up a new bridge east of Pocahontas over the Black River. That would be the south end.

Everything in between would be done last. US62-US67 between Datto and Pocahontas will be a busy 2 lane for a few years until they finish it up.

triplemultiplex

The two states are planning on building the freeway on the existing location of US 67 at the border, so there's basically no problem with coordinating  funding like there was for Bella Vista.  Each state can build their side whenever they can without having to wait for the other state.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

edwaleni

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 09, 2023, 10:23:00 AM
The two states are planning on building the freeway on the existing location of US 67 at the border, so there's basically no problem with coordinating  funding like there was for Bella Vista.  Each state can build their side whenever they can without having to wait for the other state.

Actually this is incorrect. All of the planning maps I have seem on the Missouri side show that an exit will be built at State Line Road west of the current US-67. There is a set of retail operations at the border that MoDOT is looking to bypass.

Once ArDOT agress to that route via a MOU, (I assume they will as well) then I-57 will not follow US-67 at that particular point.

triplemultiplex

Oh well nuts.  Then I must be remembering something else.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

I-39

So Arkansas is funding the Corning to Missouri state line segment, but what about Phases 3 and 4 on the Missouri side? Is that going to be funded soon?

edwaleni

Quote from: I-39 on March 11, 2023, 11:19:07 AM
So Arkansas is funding the Corning to Missouri state line segment, but what about Phases 3 and 4 on the Missouri side? Is that going to be funded soon?

MoDOT hasn't confirmed funding fror P3 and P4 of the project, however they are planning to use the new motor fuels tax increase to help pay for it.

Honestly while they have a proposed route to the state line, until Arkansas agrees where they are going to join, its hard to get anything set in stone on costs.

I-39

Quote from: edwaleni on March 13, 2023, 05:33:23 PM

MoDOT hasn't confirmed funding fror P3 and P4 of the project, however they are planning to use the new motor fuels tax increase to help pay for it.

Honestly while they have a proposed route to the state line, until Arkansas agrees where they are going to join, its hard to get anything set in stone on costs.

Where do they state they are going to use the gas tax increase to fund phases 3 and 4?

Also, I thought they were going to join east of the state line road/existing US 67 intersection (east of the truck stop)? That's what the map shows.

MikieTimT

Quote from: I-39 on March 14, 2023, 11:00:05 AM

Where do they state they are going to use the gas tax increase to fund phases 3 and 4?

Also, I thought they were going to join east of the state line road/existing US 67 intersection (east of the truck stop)? That's what the map shows.

Alternatives 2 and C are what Arkansas went with.  Map shows connector back to US-67 at the state line running to the west, which puts I-57 to the east.

https://future57vms.blob.core.windows.net/uploads/4e1f7073-c92a-43a6-a2c5-792d1bb8ed6a-I57_PH2022_Map.pdf

The initial $100M portion Arkansas has funded in the STIP in 2026 is from the west of Corning, through the northern US-67 intersection and up to the state line east of US-67 with an exit back to US-67, likely until Missouri meets up at the line.

edwaleni

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 14, 2023, 03:55:36 PM

Alternatives 2 and C are what Arkansas went with.  Map shows connector back to US-67 at the state line running to the west, which puts I-57 to the east.

https://future57vms.blob.core.windows.net/uploads/4e1f7073-c92a-43a6-a2c5-792d1bb8ed6a-I57_PH2022_Map.pdf

The initial $100M portion Arkansas has funded in the STIP in 2026 is from the west of Corning, through the northern US-67 intersection and up to the state line east of US-67 with an exit back to US-67, likely until Missouri meets up at the line.

This is funny, somewhere out there I posted a plan from Missouri showing it west of the truckstop at the state line. Anything can change, I get it, that is what hearings are for after all.

MikieTimT

Quote from: edwaleni on March 14, 2023, 09:03:52 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on March 14, 2023, 03:55:36 PM

This is funny, somewhere out there I posted a plan from Missouri showing it west of the truckstop at the state line. Anything can change, I get it, that is what hearings are for after all.

True.  I'm sure there will be something official decreed between the two states before dirt gets turned, but I've seen multiple source maps with ARDOT now that put it to the east, and funding secured for the segment in 2026, so it seems fairly concrete.  I guess we'll see if there's some MOU, otherwise, I guess it's whoever gets to the state line with pavement first or if Arkansas buys and demolished the structures along the stateline road on the east side as is in the current plan.

edwaleni

I went back and looked at the MoDOT planning documents. I remember they had I-57 going around the Neelyville Baptist Church to the west, and the current ROW maps shows the church as a potential relocation property without the bypass.

They (the church) had just built a new building and had objected to having it torn down so soon. So perhaps in the interim they came up with something they agreed to.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on March 15, 2023, 09:11:43 PM
I went back and looked at the MoDOT planning documents. I remember they had I-57 going around the Neelyville Baptist Church to the west, and the current ROW maps shows the church as a potential relocation property without the bypass.

They (the church) had just built a new building and had objected to having it torn down so soon. So perhaps in the interim they came up with something they agreed to.

Here's a recent MoDOT re-evaluation of the US 67 corridor, it stops 2 miles short enough of the state line, presumably to allow flexibility to stay on existing alignment, go east or west at the state line. From the report, "Phase 4 includes the two remaining miles between CR 270 and the Arkansas state line which is not part of this Route 67 EIS Re-evaluation. Phase 4 will be studied in a separate NEPA analysis and completed as funding becomes available."

https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/Route%2067%20EIS%20Reevaluation.pdf

Edit: added quote from report.

Road Hog

I-57 is going to end up with a gap just like the BVB, I'm afraid.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.