News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Is Anyone a Fan or Critic of US 1-9?

Started by roadman65, October 30, 2022, 08:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I've been noticing the one shield US 1-9 is been the common shield practice for the thirty plus mile US 1 & 9 concurrency in New Jersey  instead of using US 1 and US 9 like other state concurrencies and like NJDOT once did.  In addition in rare instances I've even seen a US 1 & 9 shield or two rather than the hyphen.

I think the only place US 1 and US 9 are shielded separately is on I-95 signage in Fort Lee and at Exits 14 and 15E on the NJ Turnpike.

To me I think this combination Route one shield practice is over rated.

What's the opinion here? Yay or nay?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MATraveler128

It's kind of weird, but I actually find it to be kind of cool as it's the only kind I've seen in the Northeast.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

It always appeared to me as US Routes 1 through 9 when see the 1-9 shields. 

plain

NJ is able to pull it off only because they're both single digit routes, and "1" is slim. 

MD does this, but in this case it's with state routes. And of course MD's shield is a rectangle, so it works well.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/HfhcRsJPSy6vDiJL9
Newark born, Richmond bred

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: plain on October 30, 2022, 10:34:59 AM
NJ is able to pull it off only because they're both single digit routes, and "1" is slim. 

MD does this, but in this case it's with state routes. And of course MD's shield is a rectangle, so it works well.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/HfhcRsJPSy6vDiJL9

To me that appears as Mary Route Negative Two. 

mariethefoxy

I like the separate shields, it's easier to read at a glance. From my personal experience, as someone not from New Jersey, the locals get impatient if you hesitate to figure out if you are going the correct way you need to.

akotchi

As a sign designer (in New Jersey), I find the single shield easier to work with on guide signs.  The area that the combined route goes through meets a lot of other numbered highways, including a truck route of itself.  The roadways, in some places, are on narrow geometries, so narrower signs with one shield fit better over the highway lanes.  Much easier than 202-206 in Somerville and Bedminster.

I have gotten used to it, so I am fine with it in the field.  I like the "1-9" nomenclature better than the "1&9" that first showed up (and is still around in a few spots).  The & could be mistaken for a number.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

roadman65

Well at least along Tonnelle Avenue, Broad Avenue, and US 46 have no recurrence shields for those shields to have been added. The enhanced mile markers count US 1 mileage with a solo US 1 shield on them.  No worries there except NJDOT needs to have the routes reassured there like they do south of Jersey City. 

There isn't even any three shields reassurance on the US 1, 9, and 46 concurrency either.  I believe the last reassurance shield for US 1-9 is on the Pulaski Skyway.  There used to be a US 1-9 combined shield north of the Tonnelle Circle before the St. Paul's Avenue viaduct flyover was built.   However, NJ construction contractors have been known to not replace preexisting signs after a road project.

There also used to a mileage sign near that interchange built further north, but was removed to build the interchange stand never put back.  However, being the mileage sign featured Manhattan, NY via US 1-9 to the GWB that added mileage to going to Manhattan via Route 495 which many are directed to via Lincoln Tunnel guides, it was a blessing.  If it were replaced it should use Ridgefield and Fort Lee as mileage points.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 30, 2022, 10:29:29 AM
It always appeared to me as US Routes 1 through 9 when see the 1-9 shields.
Me too.

interstate73

I'd consider myself a fan, it's a fun little quirk of NJ roads, like "Del Water Gap" as a control city on 80W. Also a big fan of the Pulaski Skyway, which is always an exhilarating experience (if there's not traffic...), so that's another plus for oneandnine.
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on October 30, 2022, 08:16:19 AM
I've been noticing the one shield US 1-9 is been the common shield practice for the thirty plus mile US 1 & 9 concurrency in New Jersey  instead of using US 1 and US 9 like other state concurrencies and like NJDOT once did.  In addition in rare instances I've even seen a US 1 & 9 shield or two rather than the hyphen.

I think the only place US 1 and US 9 are shielded separately is on I-95 signage in Fort Lee and at Exits 14 and 15E on the NJ Turnpike.

NJDOT Central, which covers Middlesex, generally uses two shields for 1/9.

I found the 1&9 shield cute/neat/etc, but they've mostly been retired for not being MUTCD compliant.

I'm not a particular fan of 1-9 shields.

jeffandnicole

Personally, I liked 1&9 rather than 1-9.  I never really understood how people could confuse the & as a 3, but I guess some have.

If anything, if I see an exit like 18B, at quick glance some Bs can look like 8s.  A small space, even a half-space, helps distinguishing 18B from 18 B. 

(Now, before you pounce on me saying if the highway is only 50 miles long, how could someone confuse 18B with 188. #1: Most people are not us.  #2:  If someone got on the highway and the first exit they see is 18B, they don't necessarily know how long the highway is, and in many states, that could be a legit exit.)

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 30, 2022, 10:30:24 PM
Personally, I liked 1&9 rather than 1-9.  I never really understood how people could confuse the & as a 3, but I guess some have.

If anything, if I see an exit like 18B, at quick glance some Bs can look like 8s.  A small space, even a half-space, helps distinguishing 18B from 18 B. 

(Now, before you pounce on me saying if the highway is only 50 miles long, how could someone confuse 18B with 188. #1: Most people are not us.  #2:  If someone got on the highway and the first exit they see is 18B, they don't necessarily know how long the highway is, and in many states, that could be a legit exit.)
the half space IS in MUTCD, just not always obeyed properly. sigh.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 30, 2022, 10:30:24 PM

:spin:

Then we have the 2dus shield with a baby ampersand

Classic design, briefly revived at the end of NJ-7 until the whole area was rebuilt:

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on October 30, 2022, 09:43:32 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 30, 2022, 08:16:19 AM

NJDOT Central, which covers Middlesex, generally uses two shields for 1/9.

I found the 1&9 shield cute/neat/etc, but they've mostly been retired for not being MUTCD compliant.

I'm not a particular fan of 1-9 shields.

Not much of US 1-9 is in Middlesex.  It leaves that county at Randolph Avenue about 3 miles from the split.

Sheryl Crowe

kirbykart

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.